GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSU help?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/07/04 at 16:28
Regular
"All about the Beats"
What psu will i need if the pc has 235 wattage output?
Thu 29/07/04 at 16:49
Regular
Put it this way i used to have a 550watt qtec power supply in my old p4 rig and used to get crashes and restarts which in the end used to cause my install of windows to become currupt but as soon as i got myself an antec 550 watt true PSU all these problems went away and my machine was as stable as anything and i think i only had to restart it once in 6 months and the rest of the time it was running 24/7 doing all sorts of video encoding and downloading.

Colin
Thu 29/07/04 at 16:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
True Blue! Mmmmm...
Thu 29/07/04 at 15:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yeah, get an Antec true power.
Thu 29/07/04 at 13:47
Regular
I think the PSU is one of the most important parts of a computer, if you get a cruddy one you will have all sort of porblems with burning disks, restarts and crashing but with a top end one you will have non of that.

Colin
Thu 29/07/04 at 13:36
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
I apologise for my complete lack of awareness.
Thu 29/07/04 at 12:26
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Thanks for the advice.

Some of the psu's on ebuyer are cheap, but with some good reviews, my pc aint a powerhouse though so i think i should be ok.
Thu 29/07/04 at 10:42
Regular
"bing bang bong"
*disPute* wrote:
> A 300 watt PSU will cover the majority of PCs these days unless it's a
> powerhouse when you might need 400W or even 500W. They're all generic
> and don't make much difference otherwise. Just the wattage that
> matters.

This could scarcely be more wrong. Don't spend less than £40 on a PSU, and get a decent brand, like Antec, Enermax, Chieftec et al. The brand/quality of the PSU is vastly more important than the power rating, so don't be duped into buying a 400W PSU for a tenner over a 300W PSU for £40.
Wed 28/07/04 at 23:28
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
*disPute* wrote:
> They're all generic and don't make much difference otherwise. Just the > wattage that matters.

How so very wrong. PSUs are anything but generic, you get you low spec cheap PSU with your cheap case from the £150 high spec PSU. Wattage is important but so are Rails. What are Rails you ask? Well each computer component takes power from a different Rail, 3.3V, 5V and 12V. A PSU has these Rails and each has its limits to how many amps it can take. A generic cheap PSU will usually have low amps per Rail so it doesnt take many components of one Rail to overload it and cause the PC to have problems. High quality PSUs have good Rails across the voltage range, meaning a much more stable PSU and one which shouldnt be overloaded.

People buy there £30 cases and think there 350 watt PSU that comes with it will do the job when in fact it could cause problems. If you get a decent make like Antec and Enermax you will have a decent PSU you can use in other machines once you upgrade etc, plus you get a stable power supply. Dont be affraid to spend £50+ on a PSU, do some research and see what a good PSU offers over a generic cheap one.
Wed 28/07/04 at 22:50
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
A 300 watt PSU will cover the majority of PCs these days unless it's a powerhouse when you might need 400W or even 500W. They're all generic and don't make much difference otherwise. Just the wattage that matters.
Wed 28/07/04 at 16:28
Regular
"All about the Beats"
What psu will i need if the pc has 235 wattage output?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.