GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3 Benchmarks for all you techies"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/07/04 at 09:16
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Interesting (if your into that sort of thing)

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy
Fri 23/07/04 at 07:26
Regular
I meant on the whole with the new cards. I have seen a few bench tests for Doom 3 which show different results, Nvidia have come ou on top each time but on some it was a matter of 2-3 FPS.

I have had to choose between the two over the last few days and ATI take it hands down when you look at a wide spread bench test, obviously odd games will run better on certain cards because they are developed with those cards in mind, nine times out of ten the games are developed with Nvidia in mind.

I love to slap AA on a high setting, even with high resolutions as you can definitley notice a massive difference, especially when you hit 6x and 8x. For this reason only I choose ATI, aside from that there is very little to pick between the new cards.
Thu 22/07/04 at 23:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Once again though when you whack the stettings up with AA AF the ATI
> card comes out on top

Not for Doom 3. The thing is that Doom 3 has been done with Nvidia in mind so at the moment the Nvidia is at the top. I agree that the ATI is ahead of the Nvidia when you put AA and AF on as you just have to look at Far Cry bench marks with the 6800 and the X800 and see the ATI proving its the best.
Thu 22/07/04 at 23:31
Regular
I'm actually tempted to get a Nvidia next time. Even though it's probably the worst of them both technically, I think games companies make their games with Nvidia more in mind rather than ATI.
Thu 22/07/04 at 22:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
They were using SE for the crapper versions, but PE is the platinum edition.
Thu 22/07/04 at 20:58
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cookie monster wrote:
> I thought the PE edition was the creme de la creme?

I may have been thinking of the LE, thoughthe top x800 is the x800XT Platinum so I'd assume that the PE = LE but Ati have adopted P this time about.
Thu 22/07/04 at 19:20
Regular
Once again though when you whack the stettings up with AA AF the ATI card comes out on top, mainly due to the piping but none the less when I play top end games I want them to look the part. Was tempted by the 6800 but have seen a few bench tests which conclusively proved that the X800 XT once again proves too much for the Nvidia cards on the whole. The same happened last time around and it has again this time around.

A new driver relesae is all ATI really nead and it is the only place where Nvidia has the advantage. The new Catalyst drivers though have proved to be pretty decent.
Thu 22/07/04 at 19:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I thought the PE edition was the creme de la creme?
Thu 22/07/04 at 19:02
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cookie monster wrote:
> Heh, the 6800GT beats the X800 PE.
>
> Ati won't be pleased.

But what people fail to realise is that nVidia specifically make the GT, the Ati PE range are reject cards sold at discout prices. THis has always been the historical case with ATi.

Personally though, I have finally decided to wait to see the specs of the new PCI Fire GL
Thu 22/07/04 at 16:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well.. no :-)

I think the crunch will be Half-Life 2 though, although the current crop of GPUs seems to be lagging behind general development. This lot seems to be more of a stop-gap more than anything else.
Thu 22/07/04 at 16:38
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Heh, the 6800GT beats the X800 PE.

Ati won't be pleased.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.