GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Norton virus scans..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/07/04 at 19:33
Regular
Returned 6 virus' which I was expecting after downloading something I knew would be rigged, thankfully they were all removed... unfortunately though ghost copies were sent into System 32 which is obviously causing me a few problems. I only get the option to delete them after running a scan and the delete/s always fails. Without manually copying the dll files back into System 32 is there anyway around this?

Cheers!
Wed 21/07/04 at 19:33
Regular
Returned 6 virus' which I was expecting after downloading something I knew would be rigged, thankfully they were all removed... unfortunately though ghost copies were sent into System 32 which is obviously causing me a few problems. I only get the option to delete them after running a scan and the delete/s always fails. Without manually copying the dll files back into System 32 is there anyway around this?

Cheers!
Wed 21/07/04 at 19:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Try safe mode.
Wed 21/07/04 at 20:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Safe mode is a bit of contradictory term. All the most dangerous things can only be done in safe mode.
Wed 21/07/04 at 21:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Safe mode is a bit of contradictory term. All the most dangerous
> things can only be done in safe mode.

Heh, ive never thought of it like that.
Wed 21/07/04 at 23:09
Regular
Cheers but no luck. Still seems to affect the core files. Not sure what to do to be honest. I am grabbing the new Serial ATA Drive from Western Digital in 4 weeks time so I will back up all the files I need and then format the b*stard, it won't be used again after that anyway. Might scan around to what they are going to do in the mean time as I can not quarantine them due to the fact they are dll files, Norton can be really sh*tty at times.
Thu 22/07/04 at 00:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Try AVG. grisoft.com.
Thu 22/07/04 at 08:13
Regular
Cheers, going to try a couple of different programs tonight. They are having a visible effect on the way my PC runs, everything is running considerably slower and unlike before if I try to alter my FSB by 1-2MHZ I get an error that System 32 can not be found which is slightly worrying. Adware didn't pick anything up and the Norton online scan only detected 3.

I need it sorting ASAP though so I will sit down and have a look tonight.
Thu 22/07/04 at 14:55
Regular
"Freeola Support"
You should be able to boot from the Norton Anti Virus CD (I know version 2004 boots from the cd not sure about other versions), you may require to enable boot from CD in the Bios but generally if Windows is loading these DLL's its going to be difficult to remove them.
Thu 22/07/04 at 16:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hm. That's a great idea. You shouldn't be in tech support.
Thu 22/07/04 at 19:07
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
DO you have you sytem resotre disabled? If not, disable it before doing any virus removal work. Then try again.

If successfull, re activate restpoer afterwards

9/10 times, failed removals are because of system restore

BTW, which strain is it?

Thanks to my non-tech minded wife, my lappy had gained all 14 variations of NetSky the other week. Ran Norton and it killed my lappy completely!

What's the biggest threat to windows?

Norton!;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.