GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Underrated And Overrated"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/07/04 at 17:27
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Having bought a fair few amounts of DVD box sets and watched episodes of some good comedies on television such as South Park, Friends and The Simpsons I have now seen that it isn't usually the most famous series that is the most achieved. Sure they are all good comedies in their own rights, but I feel that a few are overrated while the other less noticeable, yet more accomplished comedies are left unearthed and never seen.

South Park

Once famous and now forgotten this animated series has seen a much more different turn and it's for the better. It was known for its crudeness and funny situations that appealed to people of a younger age. Adults too could enjoy it but not so much as children. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are now working on their eighth season of this show and I must say it has been great so far. The show has gotten a lot more "clever" and the humor more adult which will appeal to the more mature audience which is what it's intended for. Watching season 3 for example showed just how funny the comedy can be and how it makes fun of real-life events. Chinpokomon is very funny mocking the Pokemon series and it shows how the creators know what these things are like in real life. South Park is one of the few series to stay the same quality as more seasons appear.

Sure it's rude, but it's so funny it deserves to be recognized more. Don't label this as horrible toilet humor as you're wrong. South Park is one of the best comedies around at the moment. Fact!

Show started off with 8/10
Later seasons show it's 9/10

UNDERRATED

Friends

Oh my God! Simply one of the most overrated shows of all time. I'm not saying the series is bad or anything, but just that there are much better comedies out there. The series starts off well from season 1 to about 4 but after that it all seems like re-used jokes and the episodes are simply filled with boring, serious situations making it seem like more of a slow moving drama and less of a no nonsense comedy which it's supposed to be. The six characters are all lovable in their own way and make for some funny moments, but most of the time I found myself just watching the show rather than laughing at its jokes. Towards season 7 onwards you can obviously tell the comedy had outstayed its welcome and the episodes just get more and more dull after that.

Friends isn’t a bad show, it’s just one that people think is better than it actually is. Like The Matrix tries to be smarter than it is, Friends tries to be funnier than it is. Not bad but not great.

Started off with 8/10
Later seasons show it's 6/10

OVERRATED

Futurama

Ahhh yes. Matt Groenings long forgotten comedy that never came close to the dizzy heights of The Simpsons. Firstly I must say in my opinion this is better than The Simpsons. That’s just my opinion. Futurama has great characters including Fry, Bender and Dr. Farnsworth to name a few and the comedy relying more on visual humor is simply fun to watch. The jokes etc… are all funny and the idea of the future and someone getting frozen is great. Futurama is a very funny and entertaining show.

But the final two seasons drop in quality a little compared to the opening two. They aren’t bad at all, actually to be honest they are still really good, but you can clearly see a difference in comedy as you watch the four seasons. But it remains a great animated comedy and it’s a shame it’s been cancelled. One of the biggest underrated shows in my opinion and one that will remain in my heart for a long time.

Started off with 9/10
Later seasons show it's 8/10

UNDERRATED

The Simpsons

Perhaps the easiest recognizable characters and theme music in all television. But in my opinion one of the most overrated. I’m not saying I don’t like the show, I mean I watch it whenever I get the chance to. But the recent episodes are just not good at all. They aren’t funny and they don’t have the same charm The Simpsons once had. But previous, starting seasons are very good. They make you laugh out loud, and you can easily relate to them. Bart getting bullied by bigger kids, Homer in money troubles, Lisa going through a miserable patch. It’s all funny.

But as I’ve said Futurama is better of the two in my opinion and seeing Futurama ended and The Simpsons still going is a big let-down. My friends say The Simpsons is still as good as it ever was which just makes me think "God will you open your eyes!" Just because it's more famous doen't mean it's good.

Started off with 9/10
Later seasons show it's 5/10

OVERRATED

These are just four comedies that I watched regularly recently, but they are my favourite four. I just hope that people realize that these overrated shows are just getting more and more rubbish soon or else shows like the funny Futurama and South Park are going to be ended while the cash-ins such as The Simpsons keep running.
Wed 21/07/04 at 09:48
"Was UW."
The New Series of The Simpsons isn't that great at all. In all my life, I have watched 5 episodes of Friends and each of those have been crap, despite the great acting produced by the actors themselves. South Park has always been stupid and funny and Futurama is also stupid, but much more clever than the recent Simpsons episodes.

uW.
Wed 21/07/04 at 07:55
Regular
"Taking Back Sunday"
cRaCkHeAd wrote:
> I agree with "friends" as overated; it's not even funny.
> "simpson" I disagree it is by far the best programme ever
> made, it is not overated or underated. It's just "perfect"

I take it you haven't seen the most recent episodes on Sky One?
They now put out about 3 episodes per year, all of which are completely abysmal.
Futurama's a great show and it was a shame that Fox ditched it
Friends, however, sucked since about series 4 and was barely watchable by the end
Wed 21/07/04 at 07:49
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Friends is definitely overrated. Some of the plots are good, and the acting is often excellent, but I just can't find it funny at all- it's overly corny and wooden in the jokes department.
Tue 20/07/04 at 21:36
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
I agree with "friends" as overated; it's not even funny. "simpson" I disagree it is by far the best programme ever made, it is not overated or underated. It's just "perfect"
Tue 20/07/04 at 20:35
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> Most things > South Park, which is a terrible show.

Listen to this man.
Tue 20/07/04 at 20:15
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> Is Kenny dead yet?

--

THAT is the worst thing about it.

"Oh my God, they killed Kenny!" Everytime I hear it I just want to subconciously communicate with the writers - "Listen, no-one cares. And while we're at it, stop drawing bad pictures for a living, move out of your parents basement, stop crying because Star Trek:Deep Space Nine has finished and get a life."

But unfortunately, I can't. Thus, we still have South Park.
Tue 20/07/04 at 20:00
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Futurama is easily the most overlooked thing I've ever seen.

Well, one of.
Tue 20/07/04 at 19:11
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Is Kenny dead yet?
Tue 20/07/04 at 18:47
Regular
Futurama > Simpsons > Friends. Most things > South Park, which is a terrible show.
Tue 20/07/04 at 18:36
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Futurama > South Park > The Simpsons > Friends

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.