GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dreamcast? Showing the way forward or misguided marketing?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/06/00 at 17:34
Regular
7.20 am. chuchu rocket falls through my letterbox.
7.30 am. I'm confused.
7.49 am. I'm having fun.
8.00 am. I'm playing my first ever online console game.
8.01 am. I've lost.

After this rather bizarre chains of events, I started to question exactly what the hell was going on. Online gaming on a console? sounds amazing..... chu chu rockets pretty damn cool, so I guess we're on the right track. But are we? look to the future, if you will. Quake 3 appears on dreamcast, looking amazing, right about the same time PS2 comes about. Will the Dreamcast online gaming community embrace, or scoff at its poorish ping times? who's to know. However, SEGA are doing what no-one has EVER done before. They've got no other companies strategy to improve upon, nothing to compare their online service to.... and no competition, at least for the moment. of course PC's will always have the edge when it comes to the internet, but games? consoles could easily pick up the baton and leave the PC gasping for breath. The best PC online games (UT, Q3, C&C) are all making their way to the dreamcast soon. We have arguments for both sides which format will be better for online gaming...

control. Pc has a mouse while dreamcast has a control pad. WRONG! the DC mouse is finished and ships soon, possibly with Quake 3.

Graphics. The dreamcast is a low end, games dedicated PC in a small box, whereas the PC will always be upgradeable. Thing is, who's going to want to upgrade their PC, should consoles steal all the great online games?

Upgradability. patches...... skins...... maps...... weapons... mods.... none of this is available for the dreamcast at the moment, and won't be when games like quake 3 arrive. Could a dreamcast hard drive and improved OS be the answer??

community. The pc online gaming community is buzzing, and varies from low ping clan leaders to never won a game high ping b***rds. The dreamcast community on the other hand, mostly have the same ping, meaning fair games at least? but come the time when DC owners take on PC owners (it's coming.......!) we'll be host to world war three as the battle of the formats commences.

I'd love to hear your arguments for and against Dreamcast and PC gaming..... we want to declare a winner eventually!
Any comments on Segas strategy would be great too. lets start a revolution right here.

DEL THE DREAM, chu chu rocket addict.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 09/06/00 at 17:34
7.20 am. chuchu rocket falls through my letterbox.
7.30 am. I'm confused.
7.49 am. I'm having fun.
8.00 am. I'm playing my first ever online console game.
8.01 am. I've lost.

After this rather bizarre chains of events, I started to question exactly what the hell was going on. Online gaming on a console? sounds amazing..... chu chu rockets pretty damn cool, so I guess we're on the right track. But are we? look to the future, if you will. Quake 3 appears on dreamcast, looking amazing, right about the same time PS2 comes about. Will the Dreamcast online gaming community embrace, or scoff at its poorish ping times? who's to know. However, SEGA are doing what no-one has EVER done before. They've got no other companies strategy to improve upon, nothing to compare their online service to.... and no competition, at least for the moment. of course PC's will always have the edge when it comes to the internet, but games? consoles could easily pick up the baton and leave the PC gasping for breath. The best PC online games (UT, Q3, C&C) are all making their way to the dreamcast soon. We have arguments for both sides which format will be better for online gaming...

control. Pc has a mouse while dreamcast has a control pad. WRONG! the DC mouse is finished and ships soon, possibly with Quake 3.

Graphics. The dreamcast is a low end, games dedicated PC in a small box, whereas the PC will always be upgradeable. Thing is, who's going to want to upgrade their PC, should consoles steal all the great online games?

Upgradability. patches...... skins...... maps...... weapons... mods.... none of this is available for the dreamcast at the moment, and won't be when games like quake 3 arrive. Could a dreamcast hard drive and improved OS be the answer??

community. The pc online gaming community is buzzing, and varies from low ping clan leaders to never won a game high ping b***rds. The dreamcast community on the other hand, mostly have the same ping, meaning fair games at least? but come the time when DC owners take on PC owners (it's coming.......!) we'll be host to world war three as the battle of the formats commences.

I'd love to hear your arguments for and against Dreamcast and PC gaming..... we want to declare a winner eventually!
Any comments on Segas strategy would be great too. lets start a revolution right here.

DEL THE DREAM, chu chu rocket addict.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.