GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Generation Consoles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/06/00 at 14:56
Regular
With lots more information now being available about Playstation 2, now is the time to re-open the debate about the next generation consoles. When Nintendo announced that theyw ere delaying the release of the Nintendo Dolphin till Autumn 2001, I thought, along with many others, that this would be their biggest and mostly cotsly mistake in their battle with Sony. I was wrong. The Playstation 2 has been the subject of much criticism lately, not least of all for the lack of an innovative or even marginally original game amongst its launch titles. The difficulties in developing for the console have also been well-publicised, though it seems to me that Sony's main problem is that they have taken their position as the leading company in the games market for granted. Despite all the talk about their new "emotion engine", there is little difference in graphics quality between Sony's new console and its predecessor, the original Playstation. Now, not only Nintendo but also Microsoft will be in a position to challenge Sony's dominance when their consoles are released next year. As, not only will they be able to take advantage of the Playstation 2's precarious position in the market but it seems that both their machines will be technologically superior to Sony's little black box, if early screenshots and specifications are anything to go by. It is ironic that it now seems as if Sony may go the same way as Sega in the games industry, the very company who's downfallt ehy are partly responsible for, making way for Nintendo and the new-boys Microsoft to battle for supremity in the console market come Autumn 2001.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 10/06/00 at 14:56
With lots more information now being available about Playstation 2, now is the time to re-open the debate about the next generation consoles. When Nintendo announced that theyw ere delaying the release of the Nintendo Dolphin till Autumn 2001, I thought, along with many others, that this would be their biggest and mostly cotsly mistake in their battle with Sony. I was wrong. The Playstation 2 has been the subject of much criticism lately, not least of all for the lack of an innovative or even marginally original game amongst its launch titles. The difficulties in developing for the console have also been well-publicised, though it seems to me that Sony's main problem is that they have taken their position as the leading company in the games market for granted. Despite all the talk about their new "emotion engine", there is little difference in graphics quality between Sony's new console and its predecessor, the original Playstation. Now, not only Nintendo but also Microsoft will be in a position to challenge Sony's dominance when their consoles are released next year. As, not only will they be able to take advantage of the Playstation 2's precarious position in the market but it seems that both their machines will be technologically superior to Sony's little black box, if early screenshots and specifications are anything to go by. It is ironic that it now seems as if Sony may go the same way as Sega in the games industry, the very company who's downfallt ehy are partly responsible for, making way for Nintendo and the new-boys Microsoft to battle for supremity in the console market come Autumn 2001.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.