GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've graduated.....and I'm scared!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/07/04 at 13:40
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Well, it's that time of year. Uni's finished, you've probably made that trip back to your parents. You didn't want to go straight into a job as a corporate wh%$e, so what are you gonna do now?

Well?

Oh, you don't know? Good, well that's two of us at least!

Basically, I just want some reassurance that not everyone who has left uni has walked straight into a £50k a month job in New York and is about to marry a rock star or something.

I've got a good degree (I think!), from a good uni. I have some great work experience. But it's all worthless until I figure out what the hell I want to do with my life!

At the moment I'm in the process of getting some short-term contracts doing IT work. I'm trying to raise some money to go travelling and do some volunteer work in 2005, but apart from that I haven't got a clue where I'm going with my life!!

It's just that this is the first time in my life when I haven't known what's coming up....and it's pretty fudding scary!

So, in what a deranged person might term a conclusion, what is everyone else doing post-graduation? And are you as scared as me? ;-)

GL
Mon 19/07/04 at 18:43
"possibly impossible"
Did short term temping, was great fun, then found that one of my temping jobs got me in the door to do full time work.

In the meantime, you meet new people and get lots of experience in different situations. It also gives you something to talk about later on in life.
Mon 19/07/04 at 17:57
Regular
I got a poor result with my degree, but as they say it's not the falling down that signals failure, it's the not getting back up. So I have my ticket and I plan to march into Bill Gates office first thing friday morning and use various methods to convince him to give me a job at his evil empire.

Seriously for a minute though, I'm going to start climbing the corporate ladder as soon as possible, and try and make sure I start doing something I'm at least slightly interested in. It's a competitive world out there, even graduates have to start from the bottom rung, all these ideas of jumping straight into highly paid jobs, having lowly undergraduate commonfolk looking up to you, is complete rubbish. I have massive debt to start paying off, and though I'd love to take a year out and mince about going abroad and discovering the 'real me', mister Tony Blair has ensured that I have to get my lazy student ass working immediately, and start paying off all those loans that I used to become qualified.

There's no chance in hell I'm doing any post-grad course, the thought of owing more money makes me physically sick, and I'd only be doing it to put off the inevitable. Hell, the only reason I went to Uni is because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, well it's time to make some bloody decisions and stop messing about. I'm 25 for gods sake and most of my friends have well and truly got their teeth into a career. It's time I do the same, even if that career turns out to be the most mind numbingly soul destroying rubbish you can imagine. I can think about changing my career as I'm furthering it, rather than being too scared to dip my toe in the real working world, and constantly racking up debt.

Reading all that back, my comments might seem negative, but I'm optimistic - I'm finally at the stage where I have a least some measure of choice where I go from here. Having been at Uni for nearly 5 years, and working terrible dogs body part time jobs, I'm finally free to have a crack at doing something I want to.
Sat 17/07/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Got 3 years left
Plan on taking a year out
Maybe some further qualifications
Try and get a job abroad
Sat 17/07/04 at 17:46
Regular
You can get a 1 year working visa for Canada as a student of immediately after you graduate.
Sat 17/07/04 at 00:30
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Stryke wrote:
> I've just finished my 1st year at uni and I'm already starting to
> worry about this sort of stuff.
>
> A Masters in Environmental Law (I do Biology at the moment) is the
> way I want to go, then off to Australia/America/anywhere but Britian
> to work for a while. That's as far as my plans go.

Not trying to scare you matey, but I had everything mapped out at the end of my 1st year too. In fact, even into my placement year everything was rosy!!

Hope it goes better for you though! Might have to be down under, don't think the US are letting anyone in at the moment....

GL
Fri 16/07/04 at 12:42
Regular
I've just finished my 1st year at uni and I'm already starting to worry about this sort of stuff.

A Masters in Environmental Law (I do Biology at the moment) is the way I want to go, then off to Australia/America/anywhere but Britian to work for a while. That's as far as my plans go.
Fri 16/07/04 at 11:09
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> Sorry if I've just run off on a self-obsessed tanget in your own
> thread, but it's kind of heavy on my mind, so when I get started I
> struggle to shut myself up about it.

No probs matey! That was exactly the sort of thing I wanted - I end up doing exactly the same whenever I try and explain my situation to someone.

I actually considered the law root (or even the law route - I did go to uni, honest ;-p) too....I did A-Level Law and really enjoyed it, but it's such a huge commitment, with all the exams, etc. that I really couldn't justify it when I wasn't 100% sure on what I wanted to do.

I hope it all works out for you!

GL
Thu 15/07/04 at 21:33
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
*shock*
Thu 15/07/04 at 20:02
Regular
Silent-Scope wrote:
> My bro took about 1 or 2 years to get a proper fulltime job, it'll
> take a while till you find one and he's doing the opposite to what he
> graduated from Uni!
> That's why I don't want to go to Uni the debt you build up and ending
> up doing the opposite to what I've studied for years!

Student Loan debt doesn't have to be paid off until you've got a job so good that you'll barely notice the repayments.

I thought like that, so I started working full time for a year.
Living off a student loan for 3 years is a much better way of "finding yourself".

:-)
Thu 15/07/04 at 18:45
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Shortstop, 3rd base or Left Field

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.