GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Think twice before getting a PS2!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/06/00 at 15:59
Regular
‘Yeah, I’ll be getting a Playstation 2 when it’s released. The graphics and sound look OK and the DVD player sounds great too’.

What is wrong with the above sentence?

Well, apart from being a completely naive and stupid view to take, most of the information is a load of cobblers. Yet this is what most gamers (I know) seem to think.
First, if you read any decent review/news item/magazine article written by people who have actually played the thing, you’ll discover that, apart from a few titles, the graphics and sound look no more advanced than the Dreamcast’s. Another thing that everyone likes the sound of is the built in DVD player. It does sound fantastic but has anyone ever sat down and thought about how Sony would be able to place a good quality DVD player inside an already expensive console and be able to charge under £300 for it? Thought not. Unsurprisingly, Sony has chosen the cheaper option, opting to fit their console out with a cheap, sub standard DVD player and keeping the price around the £200 mark.
Another thing wrong with the statement is that it doesn’t mention how utterly average the games look (and play) at the moment. People say that more games will be developed in time for the PS2’s European launch but, if Sony are content to release their supposedly next-generation hardware with only a few mediocre games to support it, what evidence is there to say that Sony will bother developing decent games for when it’s launced over here.
The bottom line is, the only proper, decent feature that this console has is the fact that it bears the ‘Playstation’ name. I predict that there will be a mad rush to buy the thing at first and when people compare it to their old PS and realise that it isn’t all that different, they’ll be running back to the shop for a refund.

Once again, the leading manufacturer in the current market gets way too sure of itself and tries to sell a console on brand name alone. This is just what Nintendo did with the N64. They were so drunk on the success of the NES and SNES they thought no competitor could touch them. Then along came Sony and the Playstation and the rest, as they say, is history.

So when the PS2 comes out in a few months time, instead of following the herd and rushing out to buy one, look at how the console and judge for yourself whether this marginal improvement on the DC which you can currently pick up for £150 will be worth the collosal amount of money you will be spending. I think that if you do, you will find that there are much better alternatives like the Dolpin and X-Box just around the corner.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 10/06/00 at 15:59
‘Yeah, I’ll be getting a Playstation 2 when it’s released. The graphics and sound look OK and the DVD player sounds great too’.

What is wrong with the above sentence?

Well, apart from being a completely naive and stupid view to take, most of the information is a load of cobblers. Yet this is what most gamers (I know) seem to think.
First, if you read any decent review/news item/magazine article written by people who have actually played the thing, you’ll discover that, apart from a few titles, the graphics and sound look no more advanced than the Dreamcast’s. Another thing that everyone likes the sound of is the built in DVD player. It does sound fantastic but has anyone ever sat down and thought about how Sony would be able to place a good quality DVD player inside an already expensive console and be able to charge under £300 for it? Thought not. Unsurprisingly, Sony has chosen the cheaper option, opting to fit their console out with a cheap, sub standard DVD player and keeping the price around the £200 mark.
Another thing wrong with the statement is that it doesn’t mention how utterly average the games look (and play) at the moment. People say that more games will be developed in time for the PS2’s European launch but, if Sony are content to release their supposedly next-generation hardware with only a few mediocre games to support it, what evidence is there to say that Sony will bother developing decent games for when it’s launced over here.
The bottom line is, the only proper, decent feature that this console has is the fact that it bears the ‘Playstation’ name. I predict that there will be a mad rush to buy the thing at first and when people compare it to their old PS and realise that it isn’t all that different, they’ll be running back to the shop for a refund.

Once again, the leading manufacturer in the current market gets way too sure of itself and tries to sell a console on brand name alone. This is just what Nintendo did with the N64. They were so drunk on the success of the NES and SNES they thought no competitor could touch them. Then along came Sony and the Playstation and the rest, as they say, is history.

So when the PS2 comes out in a few months time, instead of following the herd and rushing out to buy one, look at how the console and judge for yourself whether this marginal improvement on the DC which you can currently pick up for £150 will be worth the collosal amount of money you will be spending. I think that if you do, you will find that there are much better alternatives like the Dolpin and X-Box just around the corner.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.