GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"CD-R/RW Drive Speed and burning with CD-Rs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/07/04 at 20:44
"Bothered!"
Can I ask, if you have a 52x CD-R/RW burner and you have a bunch of 48x CD-Rs, should you burn data at 48x or can it be slower...what will give the best quality?
Sun 18/07/04 at 01:23
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> Hm the concept of burn "quality" is very strange. For data
> discs there is no question of quality - it's either perfect or
> corrupt, the essence of binary.
>
> This isn't actually true - word size on a CD is 14 bit, 8 as usual
> plus 6 bits error correction. Most discs are far from perfect, but
> due to the error correction bits they still work perfectly. Slower
> burn speeds do eradicate imperfections.

Imperfections or not you still have the error correction which is designed to eliminate them. And it succeeds. Your discs may need to use less error correction bits, but nevertheless, your data is still exactly the same.
Fri 16/07/04 at 16:14
Regular
Yeh notorious is right, If the media says it's 48x then that is usually the max tested speed on the media and your disks may not burn faster than that without causing errors.

Colin
Fri 16/07/04 at 15:38
"I love yo... lamp."
Turbonutter wrote:
> Hm the concept of burn "quality" is very strange. For data
> discs there is no question of quality - it's either perfect or
> corrupt, the essence of binary.

This isn't actually true - word size on a CD is 14 bit, 8 as usual plus 6 bits error correction. Most discs are far from perfect, but due to the error correction bits they still work perfectly. Slower burn speeds do eradicate imperfections.
Thu 15/07/04 at 13:14
Regular
I always burn at 52x too. The only errors I've had are not with the drive, but with the stuff I'm burning or the discs.
Thu 15/07/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hm the concept of burn "quality" is very strange. For data discs there is no question of quality - it's either perfect or corrupt, the essence of binary.

Some people seem to think that audio WAV files will be more accurate when burned slower on to an audio CD, but your burner still performs CRC checks on the data it burns and will throw up errors if the audio isn't 100% perfect - and I very, very rarely get any errors when I burn audio CDs.

At 52x.
Thu 15/07/04 at 06:48
Regular
Only burn at high speed if your writer is burn-proof and has buffer underrun protection. Otherwise it'll die very quickly.
Thu 15/07/04 at 01:41
"I love yo... lamp."
The best burn is done at 1x speed for best quality. But unless you are using fancy discs, then chances are you'll not even notice the difference between 16x and 24x say. I can't tell the difference between things made at 52x or less. Even audio.
Wed 14/07/04 at 20:57
Regular
Data can be burned at any speed however I always find you need to burn audio cd's slowly as they usually crackle when done at a faster speed.
Wed 14/07/04 at 20:44
"Bothered!"
Can I ask, if you have a 52x CD-R/RW burner and you have a bunch of 48x CD-Rs, should you burn data at 48x or can it be slower...what will give the best quality?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.