GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC slow at turning off"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/07/04 at 19:46
Regular
"who wrote that?"
i have had my pc for about 10 months and it has always had the problem of taking about 5 minuits to power of. after about 1 minuit you can hear the hard drive stop, my pc spec is

AMD 2600+
1024DDR PC2700
Radeon 9800Pro
120GB Seagate , 200GB Western digital Hard Drive
Microsoft windows XP

any help would be great although this is not a urgent problem i think it could be a challenge
Thu 15/07/04 at 21:20
Regular
Could also be a USB device or a piece of hardware doing this. When i used to have wireless USB Dongles this would slow down the Shutdown process quite a bit!
Thu 15/07/04 at 19:22
Regular
Have you attempted to contact your PC manufacturer?
Thu 15/07/04 at 12:23
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Incidentally when my computer fails to kill a process after a short amount of time, I'm asked whether I want to forcibly end it.
Thu 15/07/04 at 12:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
At what stage does windows appear to be at when it hangs? When my Windows shuts down, you see my various windows disappear, then I get the Windows Logon screen with the message "Logging off.." then something like "Windows is shutting down..".

Which of these bits does it hang on?
Wed 14/07/04 at 22:19
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
oh right. I tried.
Wed 14/07/04 at 21:58
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Chad Niga wrote:
> It could be your large amount of RAM, ive got 768mb, and mine takes a
> while.
>
> It could be that it takes just that bit more time to delete
> everything in memory.
>
> Or am i talking rubbish?

Stuff in the RAM isnt "deleted", its just "lost" when there is no power.
Wed 14/07/04 at 21:56
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
It could be your large amount of RAM, ive got 768mb, and mine takes a while.

It could be that it takes just that bit more time to delete everything in memory.

Or am i talking rubbish?
Wed 14/07/04 at 21:13
Regular
Might be a process still at work.
Wed 14/07/04 at 20:24
"Bothered!"
Ah yes, I hav had a similar problem before...Here is what I was advised to do and it worked:

* Open task manager and go to "processes" tab.

* Close down most if not all of the processes run by YOU the user, NOT the SYSTEM.
- Then see if the computer shuts down quicker.

* To identify the process which is slowing you down, you will hav to go to task manager and end one of these processes at a time and then shut down the computer.

* Once identified, go to Run and type "msconfig" and then stop the process from being started with Windows (unless it is vital to the system).

You should then be able to shut down without the system hanging.

It is caused not by the hardware (because you have a great spec) but by XP. It has lots of safety features built into it to stop it just 'cold-killing' a process meaning stopping it dead. Therefore, the time in which the hard drive appears to be hanging, is when the system is attempting to shut down the process and it can take up to any amount of time to end such services.

Hope this helps ya, it certainly helped me.

SS
Wed 14/07/04 at 19:46
Regular
"who wrote that?"
i have had my pc for about 10 months and it has always had the problem of taking about 5 minuits to power of. after about 1 minuit you can hear the hard drive stop, my pc spec is

AMD 2600+
1024DDR PC2700
Radeon 9800Pro
120GB Seagate , 200GB Western digital Hard Drive
Microsoft windows XP

any help would be great although this is not a urgent problem i think it could be a challenge

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.