GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Book Review - A Short History of Nearly Everything"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/07/04 at 12:01
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
It occured to me that, in this day and age of information and comparative enlightenment, it's odd that stories such as creationism still have so many adherents and believers. After all, when we cut through all the pseudo-science and misleading guff used to justify themselves, creationism is essentially saying that the entire, infinite universe, this world, and everything on it, was made in 6 days. And it used to be a giant garden, until a talking snake tricked a woman who had been made out of a rib into eating an apple.

This is a tale that was accepted in days of old because of ignorance; in the absence of any better explanation, we believed the one given to us by the church. Nothing new there; the Romans and Greeks accepted that the world had been created by Zeus and his brothers using the body of Uranus. The Norse and Teutonic peoples believed something similar, only it was Odin, Thor, and Loki who had created the world using a dead giant. Numerous aboriginal civilisations believed the world was carried on the back of a giant turtle. All of these are palpably stories; not things to be taken literally, but allegorical tales. So why, in the 21st century, do so many still insist that the story of creation as given in Genesis is the literal truth?

The main reason is simple; ignorance. Although we are all aware that there is an alternative theory, that of evolution, very few of us can actually explain much about it. And even less of us can explain all the attendant theories involved in geology, physics, chemistry and biology. The main reason for this is that these topics are almost invariably explained to us at school by teachers who, it seemed, had to pass an exam in "How to inform in as mindcrushingly boring and monotone way as possible" before they were allowed into a classroom. And so we dimly recall the basics of evolution, if at all, and that leaves the mind open to well presented and well researched fairy tales told by fundamentalists. After all, creationism makes us feel special and unique as Gods creation. Science just tells us that we're talking monkeys. Doesn't it?

This book, by Bill Bryson, takes huge leaps in remedying that situation. This is a fantastically accessible science book that should be required reading at schools. It presents, clearly and entertainingly, the main theories behind modern science and brings to life the people who came up with those them. It never assumes too much knowledge from the reader, but neither does it talk down to us or get bogged down in condescending prose. The authors style thoughout is "Hey, listen to this fact; isn't it amazing? I wanna know more about this. And here's what I found out..."

It also hamstrings the creationists in their efforts to prey on our ego. This book leaves one in no doubt that all life is special and unique, that our place in the cosmos is due to an astonishing chain of coincidences that is (for want of a better word) miraculous. In other words, it leaves plenty of room for the notion of a supreme being playing a part in our destiny, without resorting to simplistic lies that seek to blunt the sharp spirit of enquiry that has been mankinds greatest boon throughout history.

Moreover, it doesn't preach. It never once says "This is how things are. Deal with it.". In fact, the book goes into detail about other theories, now discredited, in order to give us a better idea of just how current scientific thought evolved. It also gives us the sense that science today is by no means the final story, and that there are many many other discoveries waiting to be made that will change our current opinions on everything from how humans got here, to the possibility of faster than light travel.

All in all, this is a superb book. Anyone with even the faintest interest in our planet and everything on it would be well advised to read it. Creationists should too as it challenges a lot of their basic assumptions. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Thu 15/07/04 at 21:42
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
I have one
Tue 13/07/04 at 15:24
"Darth Vader 3442321"
One review of this book I have read, mentioned that the reviewer's father's reaction after reading it was to declare that "I'm no longer frightened of dying".

I'm going to have to get this book.
Tue 13/07/04 at 14:16
Regular
Top book, but I do prefer his travel books. Especially Down Under.
Tue 13/07/04 at 12:49
"Was UW."
Sounds interesting. Brilliant review.
Tue 13/07/04 at 12:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Excellent, sounds like a hoot. I went to a Roman Catholic school, and I always found it weird that they bothered having a science department. Not that I learnt anything there anyway. I hated that place, they forced you to attend mass, and even made you feel 'wrong' if you didn't go up and get touched by the Priest.
Tue 13/07/04 at 12:01
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
It occured to me that, in this day and age of information and comparative enlightenment, it's odd that stories such as creationism still have so many adherents and believers. After all, when we cut through all the pseudo-science and misleading guff used to justify themselves, creationism is essentially saying that the entire, infinite universe, this world, and everything on it, was made in 6 days. And it used to be a giant garden, until a talking snake tricked a woman who had been made out of a rib into eating an apple.

This is a tale that was accepted in days of old because of ignorance; in the absence of any better explanation, we believed the one given to us by the church. Nothing new there; the Romans and Greeks accepted that the world had been created by Zeus and his brothers using the body of Uranus. The Norse and Teutonic peoples believed something similar, only it was Odin, Thor, and Loki who had created the world using a dead giant. Numerous aboriginal civilisations believed the world was carried on the back of a giant turtle. All of these are palpably stories; not things to be taken literally, but allegorical tales. So why, in the 21st century, do so many still insist that the story of creation as given in Genesis is the literal truth?

The main reason is simple; ignorance. Although we are all aware that there is an alternative theory, that of evolution, very few of us can actually explain much about it. And even less of us can explain all the attendant theories involved in geology, physics, chemistry and biology. The main reason for this is that these topics are almost invariably explained to us at school by teachers who, it seemed, had to pass an exam in "How to inform in as mindcrushingly boring and monotone way as possible" before they were allowed into a classroom. And so we dimly recall the basics of evolution, if at all, and that leaves the mind open to well presented and well researched fairy tales told by fundamentalists. After all, creationism makes us feel special and unique as Gods creation. Science just tells us that we're talking monkeys. Doesn't it?

This book, by Bill Bryson, takes huge leaps in remedying that situation. This is a fantastically accessible science book that should be required reading at schools. It presents, clearly and entertainingly, the main theories behind modern science and brings to life the people who came up with those them. It never assumes too much knowledge from the reader, but neither does it talk down to us or get bogged down in condescending prose. The authors style thoughout is "Hey, listen to this fact; isn't it amazing? I wanna know more about this. And here's what I found out..."

It also hamstrings the creationists in their efforts to prey on our ego. This book leaves one in no doubt that all life is special and unique, that our place in the cosmos is due to an astonishing chain of coincidences that is (for want of a better word) miraculous. In other words, it leaves plenty of room for the notion of a supreme being playing a part in our destiny, without resorting to simplistic lies that seek to blunt the sharp spirit of enquiry that has been mankinds greatest boon throughout history.

Moreover, it doesn't preach. It never once says "This is how things are. Deal with it.". In fact, the book goes into detail about other theories, now discredited, in order to give us a better idea of just how current scientific thought evolved. It also gives us the sense that science today is by no means the final story, and that there are many many other discoveries waiting to be made that will change our current opinions on everything from how humans got here, to the possibility of faster than light travel.

All in all, this is a superb book. Anyone with even the faintest interest in our planet and everything on it would be well advised to read it. Creationists should too as it challenges a lot of their basic assumptions. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.