GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BB Guns: Who monitors who...???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/07/04 at 22:31
"The pen is mightier"
When i first saw that SR were selling BB Guns is was quite surprised. Firstly let me just say that i`m no prude and i`m quite sure that there are alot of responsible people out there who have purchased one of these guns, but i can`t help feeling about the possibility of that odd "one person" who slips through the net, i mean, if i was to phone through an order today for any of the BB Guns, would the operator ask to check my age? and if so, what kind of check can be made? Also, who at SR actually monitors these sales? These guns require no licence to hold and could fall into the hands of a minor.
Lets say a gun is sold to a club member, last i checked you never have to put your date-of-birth on the membership form, so who`s to say it cannot be sold to someone under 18 when purchased via phone or internet?
Perhaps in light of the possible injuries that can be caused even by a BB Gun, anyone under 18 purchasing such a gun does so knowing full well their real age, and without the required back-up from SR to check this, i fear that in the eyes of the law the retailer would be responsible.

Maybe someone from SPECIAL RESERVE would like to comment on their policy and how they police it, as being an ex-staff member i`ve a certain perspective on the way phone calls are taken in the call-room and the training of the staff there under Yvonne, so it would be quite insightful.
Maybe even Tony might like to comment too...?
Anyway, what do any of you Chat Forum people think about the sales of BB Guns by SPECIAL RESERVE....?
Mon 12/07/04 at 22:31
"The pen is mightier"
When i first saw that SR were selling BB Guns is was quite surprised. Firstly let me just say that i`m no prude and i`m quite sure that there are alot of responsible people out there who have purchased one of these guns, but i can`t help feeling about the possibility of that odd "one person" who slips through the net, i mean, if i was to phone through an order today for any of the BB Guns, would the operator ask to check my age? and if so, what kind of check can be made? Also, who at SR actually monitors these sales? These guns require no licence to hold and could fall into the hands of a minor.
Lets say a gun is sold to a club member, last i checked you never have to put your date-of-birth on the membership form, so who`s to say it cannot be sold to someone under 18 when purchased via phone or internet?
Perhaps in light of the possible injuries that can be caused even by a BB Gun, anyone under 18 purchasing such a gun does so knowing full well their real age, and without the required back-up from SR to check this, i fear that in the eyes of the law the retailer would be responsible.

Maybe someone from SPECIAL RESERVE would like to comment on their policy and how they police it, as being an ex-staff member i`ve a certain perspective on the way phone calls are taken in the call-room and the training of the staff there under Yvonne, so it would be quite insightful.
Maybe even Tony might like to comment too...?
Anyway, what do any of you Chat Forum people think about the sales of BB Guns by SPECIAL RESERVE....?
Mon 12/07/04 at 22:46
Regular
"lets go back"
They should have some sort of age check. When I was about 16/17 I bought DVD's that were 18 plus. It wasn't from SR, but from a place I would still expect an age check.
Mon 12/07/04 at 22:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The BB guns are excellent, they are so real looking that the woman at the post office complied with all of my orders.
Mon 12/07/04 at 22:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's a bit random to say the least, and irresponsible of them as they know that kids view this site looking at games and will then want to buy a BB gun.

They're not that powerful/dangerous though, they look real but that's about it.

The only really bad thing that can happen maybe having someone blinded by a BB if it's shot from very close range but even then it's still got to be very close as the BBs will never pierce skin.

I bought one about 5 years back, it cost me £35 and I've still got it. I used to love shooting targets in my back garden.

Sadly it broke so I bought another one from the pound shop for... ...£3!

It's great, there's nothing more fun* than going into your garden and shooting the wasps around the 'wasp bush.'

I've got a few mid-air shots, they just explode, it's cool!

*debatable
Mon 12/07/04 at 22:52
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
phi11ip wrote:
> Sadly it broke so I bought another one from the pound shop for...
> ...£3!

I'd get onto trading standards about that.
Mon 12/07/04 at 22:53
"The pen is mightier"
If they think putting "must be over 18" in the mag on that page is going to stop it, they are very misguided!
DVD, 18 rated games and adult material regulary find their ways into the hands of children. Some would say its bad parenting, but is it not also up to retailers to ensure some measures to prevent such things in the first place?
Mon 12/07/04 at 22:56
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
KNIGHTS TEMPLARS wrote:
> adult material regulary find their ways into the hands of children.

And once the adult material gets into their hands we know what joins it.
Mon 12/07/04 at 23:05
"The pen is mightier"
cookie monster wrote:
> KNIGHTS TEMPLARS wrote:
> adult material regulary find their ways into the hands of children.
>
> And once the adult material gets into their hands we know what joins
> it.

Care to elaborate on that, Cookie...?????!!!!!!
Mon 12/07/04 at 23:06
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im talking about the phallus.
Mon 12/07/04 at 23:12
"The pen is mightier"
How charming....
That was a polite way to put it!!!
Nice to hear someone use the old fashioned medical terminology, very good!

Seriously, it does stray off the topic a bit...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.