GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sourceball"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/02/05 at 17:09
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Remember that classic game speedball?
Well how about a full 3D version?

[URL]http://sourceball.com/[/URL]

Uses the half life 2 engine to give the full 3D environment and the physics required to play speedball. Early impressions are very nice.

Just hope it turns out to play well.

Also to anyone interested in the development side of games there is the chance to offer ideas/input into the designand even produce some graphics for the game.
Thu 10/03/05 at 22:49
Regular
I think Disney locked his employees in rooms similar to the one Chewbacca is in, in the Empire Strikes Back. Lots and lots of screeching, then videos of people walking and falling over.
Thu 10/03/05 at 22:42
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
That's what Disney did in the 1920s, right? I'm so learned.
Thu 10/03/05 at 20:56
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Boomsling wrote:
> The animations are motion captured using rotoscope(?), I dont know
> too much about this as its not my field.

Ahhhh, Still, very well done. Rotorscope involves filming live people, then using that as the basis for animation for those that don't know. Quite an impressive way to cost cut. :)
Thu 10/03/05 at 19:57
Regular
"www.sourceball.com"
I'll be sure to let you know as soon as its released.

As for the video, its in 'bink' format (www.radgametools.com) which is a .exe as it saves the usual trouble of having the right codecs etc. thats why I have used it, plus if it was good enough for VALVe on their HL2 pre-view vids then its good enough for us.

Also if 20mb is too big there is a smaller 5/6mb verson which is the same video as the large one.

The animations are motion captured using rotoscope(?), I dont know too much about this as its not my field.

If you have any specific question I'll be happy to find out for you.

Regards

Boomsling
Thu 10/03/05 at 19:57
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
monkey_man wrote:
> Er...finally got round to downloading the demo vids, and it's a big
> .exe. What's wrong with wmv, or mpeg? Not going to run it I'm
> afraid.

It's a Bink video. Quite impressive. If the animations aren't motion captured, they certainly look it and the animator is damn talented.
Thu 10/03/05 at 19:32
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Er...finally got round to downloading the demo vids, and it's a big .exe. What's wrong with wmv, or mpeg? Not going to run it I'm afraid.
Thu 10/03/05 at 19:13
Regular
"serenity now!"
Good work on this mod Boomsling - Speedball was one of my favourite games ever. I'll try and keep a close eye on the site for the beta.

Maybe you could pop back to UKchatforums and let us know when it's out?
Thu 10/03/05 at 10:41
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Boomsling wrote:
> pleasing wives ;)

Argh, too much info! Looks good though.
Thu 10/03/05 at 10:31
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Quite like the heavy player model, but that "Goalie model 3" is absolutely fantastic.
Thu 10/03/05 at 09:44
Regular
"www.sourceball.com"
lcarus wrote:
> I like the way they're recruiting members for their team, it's almost
> laughable.
>
> "Hey, just post what you want, what "experience" you
> have and your interests...and also examples of your work. What, you
> didn't make them? Oh well, they look nice, you're hired!"

Hi,

Any publicity is good publicity!

But I do feel that I should respond to a few comments made here...

From the outset sourceball has been and will continue to be a community driven project. Yes there are people out there that will deceive you, such is life.

The chances of any work appearing in game that is 'stolen' is next to none as there is a big difference to posting a screenshot of a model and having the original files that are required to port it into the source engine.

As this is being developed in our free time in between taking kids to school, pleasing wives ;) going to work yadyadayada..... we welcome any help offered and have to rely on peoples integrity and honesty.

Also this mod has only been in development since December 2004 and we already have a working alpha which would not have been possible without comunity support and help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.