GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeserve is testing my patience"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/04/01 at 14:43
Regular
Subscribed to the Anytime service, £12.99 per month for unlimited free access with no charges.
Great.
Except for the past 9 days, no server. It's been down and they havent repaired it yet.

Phone call after phone call, twice a day for 9 days and the results?

"Phone the standard number until it's fixed"
What?!?!?!?!
I pay for a service, and am expected to pay for phone calls because they cannot provide that service?

This is starting to grind me, and there is nothing worse than angering Goatboy.
Joking aside, I am getting close to boiling point now.

Keep checking back to see what happens
Sat 28/04/01 at 16:08
Regular
If you're getting problems connecting..

dial the dial-up-number on a normal phone (Whilst the wire from your modem is connected to the phoneline) and wait and see if you get funny noises (not like normal BT ones)

If you do, put down the phone and click connect on your PC.

IT's worked 2 out of 2 times for me!
Sat 28/04/01 at 16:06
i get free inter net so i don't mind, i don't have to pay anything, ever, hahaha.
Sat 28/04/01 at 15:44
Regular
Go with NTL, it's been hassle free for me and i've had it since before christmas.
Sat 28/04/01 at 15:35
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I have to say I myself am having very similar problems. I'm on hometime service with them (free offpeak) over the year I have had it I have been unable to log on several times, and permenantely for the past month it has been giving me hassle when I try to play Counter-Strike. The connection seems to die when I'm trying to load up. I have to disconnect then reconnect to make it active again. It's terrible! It was so much better when I paid for other services where I never got any of these terrible problems including Freeola. They also don't seem to have any email addresses with which I can contact them - they expect me to pay a really expensive phone call to sort it out.

However since I need a offpeak or any time service I'm considering jumping on to the BT bandwagon where I hear the servers are less clogged and problems less bad.

In the meantime I managed to get my hands on another Freeserve number so now I have 2 and seem to at least always be able to get on.

If you have got a mate try getting his number that works?
Sat 28/04/01 at 15:21
Regular
"I like cheese"
I have the same problem!!

It begins to dial, and then makes this weird noise. I have to pay for my calls now!
Sat 28/04/01 at 15:19
Regular
One bloke from Freeserve said that (in our case) that it was their fault and that if we write to a certain address with a copy of the phone bill, we'll get a refund.

still waiting....
Thu 26/04/01 at 21:00
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Edgy wrote:
> didn't you know that Freeserve have had problems with their 0800
> unlimited access for ages?

I'm currently using their unlimited time package (the old one).. and so far I've had no problems at all (knock on wood!)

and I'm not sure whether this applies to you, but when
> people tried changing their to another ISP, they found out they had
> to give a years notice and have to keep paying for a year even if
> they did change to another!
Phew!... Not in the contract I undertook! :)

Freeserve STILL owe my dad
> £165 becuase even though we registered with freeserves surftme
> package, they charged us for the phonebill still, and they deny it
> being their fault even though we've shown them the evidence!

I had a similar problem... I phned BT at the time and explained the situation... and they changed the amount...

Apparently it was BT's mistake not Freeserves?!?!

Although I'm not a big fan of Freeserve or anything... this is just how its been for me soo far? :)
Thu 26/04/01 at 20:56
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
nah... never had that problem

Sonic
Thu 26/04/01 at 18:51
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
AOL IS FAST AND IS GOOD! No, its £15 a month unlimited!
Thu 26/04/01 at 18:50
Regular
SonicRav wrote:
> umm... but do u still pay 1p a minute with AOL... anyway, there are
> 2 big problems with it:

1) Freeserve is just as good for actual
> normal web surfing! I have the £6.99 a month for after 6 and
> weekends to be free, and it's always been fine!

Make sure you've got an itemised phone bill....read my last message in here to see why....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.