GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Legitimate Business Mens' Club"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/07/04 at 14:03
Regular
Has anyone here started their own business?

I've been toying with the idea for a while now.
A couple of questions I have:

-Finding out about trade suppliers and stuff - how?
There must be companies making widgets and things, that the average consumer can't buy from, and businesses have to find them before they can buy their stuff..

I can't imagine a secret list of sale-to-business suppliers, and I figure if you asked rival companies about their suppliers they'd have to be idiots to spill the beans!

-Do you have to register or something?
I mean, to deal with VAT, presumably you don't pay VAT on your supplies, as you're not a consumer, but then you'd have to charge VAT and send it on to the government.
And if you ever get to the stage of having employees you must have to do their wages. And thus tax and NI..
Actually, you probably even have to do your own tax and NI.
So there must be some kind of business regstration for tax purposes, right?

Ideally, I'd like to start something off as a spare time affair, then see if it grows.
That should enable me to avoid most of the technical issues at first, as really I'd just be an average joe flogging crap on ebay and stuff.
Plus, it'd take a lot of the risk out of the idea, as I'd see if it worked, and collect some money, before having to look at making a significant financial investment.

Also, web site based companies - I could use paypal, or a credit card service like world-pay (where customers don't have to register with anyone). I could also ask for people to post me cheques. None of the above are ideal though.
So, is it possible for an average cheapskate with limited html / coding experience to use secure forms to take credit/debit card details?

I know I'd also need the capacity to charge stuff to peoples' cards at my end, but I've had a bit of a look into that, and it seems doable.

If anyone can help with any of that, I'd be grateful beyone belief!
Thanks, Duck
Sun 11/07/04 at 14:51
"Metal Head"
No i havent started my own bussines but my dad named the bussines after me.
Sat 10/07/04 at 15:28
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Talk to your bank, local Job Centre and/or Chamber Of Commerce - they have people who can help and advise on starting up your own business and you may even be able to get a grant or a loan of some kind.

As for VAT, you only pay it or claim it back if you make over a certain amount of money - I don't know what the limit, but a business advisor would know.
Sat 10/07/04 at 15:18
Regular
"Monochromatic"
You'd probably be best going on a course about business management and stuff, it's an idea i've had for a long time.
Sat 10/07/04 at 15:12
Regular
"8==="
It'd probably help if we had a rough idea of what you're trying to sell/what market you're looking to break into.
Sat 10/07/04 at 14:03
Regular
Has anyone here started their own business?

I've been toying with the idea for a while now.
A couple of questions I have:

-Finding out about trade suppliers and stuff - how?
There must be companies making widgets and things, that the average consumer can't buy from, and businesses have to find them before they can buy their stuff..

I can't imagine a secret list of sale-to-business suppliers, and I figure if you asked rival companies about their suppliers they'd have to be idiots to spill the beans!

-Do you have to register or something?
I mean, to deal with VAT, presumably you don't pay VAT on your supplies, as you're not a consumer, but then you'd have to charge VAT and send it on to the government.
And if you ever get to the stage of having employees you must have to do their wages. And thus tax and NI..
Actually, you probably even have to do your own tax and NI.
So there must be some kind of business regstration for tax purposes, right?

Ideally, I'd like to start something off as a spare time affair, then see if it grows.
That should enable me to avoid most of the technical issues at first, as really I'd just be an average joe flogging crap on ebay and stuff.
Plus, it'd take a lot of the risk out of the idea, as I'd see if it worked, and collect some money, before having to look at making a significant financial investment.

Also, web site based companies - I could use paypal, or a credit card service like world-pay (where customers don't have to register with anyone). I could also ask for people to post me cheques. None of the above are ideal though.
So, is it possible for an average cheapskate with limited html / coding experience to use secure forms to take credit/debit card details?

I know I'd also need the capacity to charge stuff to peoples' cards at my end, but I've had a bit of a look into that, and it seems doable.

If anyone can help with any of that, I'd be grateful beyone belief!
Thanks, Duck

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.