GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice on buying Ram, in particular brand & features"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/02/05 at 12:03
"Was the man of marz"
Basically I'm after a 256Mb stick. But, should I go with one of the brand names, kingston, crucial or the cheaper generic. Also, is it worth paying the extra for ECC and a lower CL rate (if that makes any sense). Thanks
Sun 20/02/05 at 18:07
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
with most OEM RAM you have no idea of what you are getting regarding timings etc

also the fact that it tends to be crap.
really unreliable/unstable.

Don't get OEM RAM.
Sun 20/02/05 at 17:49
Regular
"Bicycle"
Mog, you're right, there is hardly any difference between cheap, OEM RAM and the big brand names, other than price.

Obviously, if you're overclocking, you'll need a better brand - but I doubt you'll be needing that.

Personally, I'd go for some OEM RAM from scan.co.uk. At the moment, for PC3200 DDR, it's under £50 for 512MB. Buy two sticks, shove 'em in Dual Channel and you're set!
Sun 20/02/05 at 17:39
Regular
"object"
im have read that you can go out and buy realy expensive top of the range ram but there is not much difference beetween that and the cheap stuff

im not sure how true that is
Tue 15/02/05 at 13:19
Regular
You won't go wrong with Crucial.

And unless you're sticking this in a server machine, you shouldn't have to worry about ECC or parity RAM.
Tue 15/02/05 at 13:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I doubt you need ECC ram, low cas latency is a good thing so its worth buying the lowest you can afford. Brand name RAM uses better chips than cheapo generic stuff which is handy when overclocking. I also know that Corsair and Kingston do lifetime warranty on their RAM.
Tue 15/02/05 at 12:03
"Was the man of marz"
Basically I'm after a 256Mb stick. But, should I go with one of the brand names, kingston, crucial or the cheaper generic. Also, is it worth paying the extra for ECC and a lower CL rate (if that makes any sense). Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.