GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any way to do this with PHP?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/07/04 at 14:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Send an email that then opens and writes to a file? Trying to think of a method, but not to sure it'll work. Just a little gimmick I wanna try out.
Thu 08/07/04 at 09:44
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, that's more like it. I'll have a look on php.net for imap stuff, cheers dude.
Wed 07/07/04 at 21:43
Regular
Not too sure what you're trying to achieve... is it this:

Send an email, then on a server (where the email is received), open up the email, and if it contains certain data, copy it to a file?

If it is this, you'll need something running to receive the email or something to check the inbox regularly. PHP has a load of imap functions (which also work with POP boxes), which can be used to log into a mailbox and read the emails from it.

You could set up a script that regularly checks a mailbox, and for each email in there that matches certain criteria write some data to a file and delete the email. It's not that easy but not that hard either if you know what you're doing.

Is that what you mean?
Wed 07/07/04 at 20:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Nah, that's slightly off.
Tue 06/07/04 at 23:15
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
As in when someone opens an email it writes to your server?

OK, I think I know how it can be done:

Have the email include an image, have the image URL as pockeymonkey.co.uk/image.php?variable=whateveryouwant.

When the request for the image is sent, it is processed by the php page which will store what the variable is, then print the URL which will be the full URL to a picture.

As it's all done by the server the only output will be a URL to an image which will appear in the email body. The variable will be stored by the server and nobody will ever know.

I think that's a way of doing it...
Tue 06/07/04 at 20:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
So that I send and email with certain data, possibly a text string, and it opens another file and inserts the data from the email into it. Data could be in the header or something - doesn't have to be the message. I'm familiar and competent with PHP, so I'm quite sure that this can't be done using it. But I can handle anything anyone chucks at me so it won't be a problem if it's complicated.
Tue 06/07/04 at 15:22
Regular
"NULL"
You want to email the server you mean? So that when the email is received at the server, the file is opened and written?
Tue 06/07/04 at 14:31
Regular
"Twenty quid."
o_O
Tue 06/07/04 at 14:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Send an email that then opens and writes to a file? Trying to think of a method, but not to sure it'll work. Just a little gimmick I wanna try out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.