GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So PES4 Isn't that good after all..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro Evolution Soccer 4'.
Wed 16/02/05 at 22:22
Regular
"The Red Shift"
First of all, this is a completely opinion based thread, but I believe there are many, many good features of PES3 which were meddled with and as such has resulted in a worse PES4 than we could've had. Besides, it'd be nice to see a lively debate in here instead of the regular mindless crap or FAQs that take place in here.
:)

This is baseed on replaying PES3, having left it collecting dust for ages, whilst PES4 has been almost constantly in my PS2.
:D

Differences:
(category-winner)

Shooting:

Having tested out fully the shooting techniques/physics/animations of shooting in PES4, I was almost convinced from memory that it was better than any game I've seen before. However, having played PES3 again, I have no doubts in going back on this.

In PES3, when I shoot, it's like I'm watching TV, in other words it's a better simulation. I score more good goals in 3 than I do in 4. 4 seems to be a wonder goal or a hideous tap-in. Strikes in 3 seem more life like, with more realistic results and more of the right kind of shots go in. However in PES4s defence, when I shoot, I actually feel as if I'm there taking the shot. There's more of a physical connection. But this round goes to PES3.

Passing:

To me this is a no brainer. The passing in PES3 is slow, inaccurate and random events seem to happen(like huge bobbles). PES4 isn't flawless, with the passing more FIFA designed, where by every pass is a through ball regardless of X or /\. This leads to frustration and some stray passes, but generally it's far superior and slicker than PES3. PES4 wins!

Set-up:

I interpret this as the on-screen display and pre-match screens. Although PES4 has a very comfortable to use master league set-up, the pre, in and after game screens are disgusting. I far prefer PES3 for it's non-pink/blue/white set up.

Graphics:

Another no brainer. As new games come, the graphics inevitably improve. In some player aspects it's close between the 2 games, but over all PES4 is better. Perhaps it was the improvement in graphics that wooed us all into thinking that PES4 was alot better than 3, dazzling us with the fluidity and smoothness of players and stadiums, etc.

Allocation of yellow cards:

PES4 is simply rediculous in giving out yellow cards. Blatant swipes and hacks get off with a mere warning, where as a foul that isn't even a foul gets a solid yellow and occassional red. PES3 on the other hand is far more accurate with it's distribution of the cards.

Corners and freekicks:

Although all of the new features have been introduced to PES4 for freekicks, this is partially realated to shooting, so the same result/physics ideas apply. So that's a fractional win to PES4, but PES3 corners and headering are so much better, that this one has to be a tie.

Overall it's perhaps only:

PES3 3 points - 2 points PES4

But when it comes down to fun, I have to say that PES4 has had many changes for the worse. It is becoming more like FIFA, in it's attempt to become more of an arcade game. I far prefer the simulation style of PES3 to 4.

Overall I don't believe that one game is better than another. Both have flaws and I'll certainly be buying PES5 to see how much closer we have got to perfection.
:)

Until then I implore you to dig out PES3* and give it a good old second time round!

*You're a disgrace if you've sold it.
Sun 20/02/05 at 12:02
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
It'd be nice to play as your local footie team on PES4 in the Master League going against premiership clubs.

I'd also like it to be online but let two v two instead of one v one.
Sat 19/02/05 at 18:47
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Ashley_90 wrote:
> Cheers for that info.
>
> I'd like to see more lower divison teams in the next Pro Evo,
> division 1, 2 and 3 would be nice.

How FIFA like. I know people support them, but perhaps unlocking them is the way.
Sat 19/02/05 at 16:51
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Cheers for that info.

I'd like to see more lower divison teams in the next Pro Evo, division 1, 2 and 3 would be nice.
Sat 19/02/05 at 11:36
Regular
"es argh"
WE9 is Japan. Winning Eleven International is American and (I think) there's an International version available in China.

Winning Eleven is usually the better game and there's usually 3 versions of it.
Fri 18/02/05 at 21:54
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Is there a difference between WE9 and PES5? Will you have to order from Japan to get WE9 or will it be available in the UK too?

I used to have a Max Drive but got rid of it when I sold my 'chunky PS2' but I still have the updated team kits, stadiums, leagues etc.

I think the unlockables on PES4 are so cool, almost every unlockable items is interesting. I expecially liked the Classic teams and the 6 star difficulty was good too.

I cant see PES4 improving much but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

EDIT | Does anyone know how to do a volley on PES4?
Fri 18/02/05 at 20:36
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Badgerman wrote:
> And Aja is a busy bee on Pesfan I see.

Ahaha, yes. Much better than Insight. Or here...
Fri 18/02/05 at 20:32
Regular
"es argh"
AfroJoe wrote:
> PES4 is better overall, but it didn't develop on PES3 as much as I
> would have liked. PES3 felt like a real step up from PES2, but PES4
> only seemed like a kind of FIFA-style update on PES3.

Agreed. PES4 would have to of been something special to match the step up from PES2 to 3.

And Aja is a busy bee on Pesfan I see.

Also the Xbox version is much better, just for the Live play.

Oh well, PES5 will hopefully be online on PS2, along with Winning Eleven 9 which sould be out around August.
Fri 18/02/05 at 14:55
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Muh. Point is that "PES 4 isn't so good after all." Not that PES 3 is better. Excellent features in my opinion have been lost.
Fri 18/02/05 at 09:13
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Not being funny but when you play PES4 you dont just sit there trying to find all of the little things it lacks compared to PES3, you just enjoy it.

So I think everyone should stop analysing their games and just enjoy them, and anyway you did say that PES4 is more fun so there you go - PES4 wins.
Fri 18/02/05 at 00:44
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I do the same thing every time and although the cross varies, it doesn't wildly, so that I have no chance of controlling or the fact that aiming was useless.

From where it automatically sets you, I usually tighten the angle a bit, then cross with R1 + forwards + outswing + halfway power. Keepers never get it and it's always there or there abouts the goal and penalty spot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.