GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does memory latency really matter?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/07/04 at 12:03
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I'm looking to get a 1GB stick from a quality manufacturer soon (wanting to fill all 4 slots on the mobo in the future), but getting memory this big normally means the CAS level will be a '3'. So what I want to know is does latency really matter? No one ever notices differences between high and low latency levels, do they? And if it does matter, is it possible to get a CAS 2 or 2.5 1GB stick?
Thu 01/07/04 at 19:36
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Thanks for all the info, people, you've changed my mind on things! I'll have a 2GB target made up of four 512k sticks with low latency. Thanks again :)
Thu 01/07/04 at 16:01
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
WickedWare wrote:
> So pc3200 1GB is ok with CAS 3? Being just one stick I'm buying it
> wont be running in double mode, so I guess the speed will be just
> 200MHZ until I double up.

You'll be better off buying 2 512Mb sticks then you can take advantage of the dual channel mode if your motherboard is capable of it.

"200 MHZ until I double up" <- you mean until you activate dual channel mode?

Dual channel mode doesn't increase the RAM speed.It simply opens up another "lane" allowing a theoretical doubling of memory bandwidth.
Thu 01/07/04 at 15:03
"I love yo... lamp."
When software actually begins to need 4 GB of RAM then things will have moved on so much that you need a considerably faster processor which would also require a new motherboard. I have a gigabyte of RAM just now, and apart from Farcry and somethings like database programs, nothing needs that much memory.

Getting two sticks of 512 MB RAM with a lower latency will improve performance, especially so with a dual channel board for Athlons like the NF7 et al.
Thu 01/07/04 at 12:46
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> You mentioned you wanted to fill all the other slots in the future -
> well when you need 4 GB of RAM you won't have that processor or
> motherboard.

What do you mean by this?

Anyway, It will be purely for games, and I was thinking that maybe when games become more uber and surpas the new graphics card I have the memory might compensate for this. Well, having 4GB's of the stuff might.
Thu 01/07/04 at 12:35
Regular
"where's my tag?"
So pc3200 1GB is ok with CAS 3? Being just one stick I'm buying it wont be running in double mode, so I guess the speed will be just 200MHZ until I double up.
Thu 01/07/04 at 12:27
"I love yo... lamp."
Yes it does matter, but how much depends on what you do. If all you need is just vast quantities of memory then it won't matter. If you just want high performance, i.e. for games, then it matters. The reality is, if you don't benchmark, you won't notice the difference between CAS 2.5 and 3, and will struggle to tell the difference between 2 and 3.

So whilst I think it isn't that big a deal, what I would say is a better idea would be to get two 512 MB sticks with a lower latency. You mentioned you wanted to fill all the other slots in the future - well when you need 4 GB of RAM you won't have that processor or motherboard. I run two 512 MB sticks in dual channel mode and it offers a decent performance increase.

The other way to minimise the effects of the CAS latency is to increase the FSB.

Clearly tig has the faster fingers.
Thu 01/07/04 at 12:23
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Well if you're running at stock then yes it does matter (slightly), but you will find that all the high speed RAM has latency of around CAS 3, but the sheer brute speed makes up for the high latency.
Thu 01/07/04 at 12:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, memory latency really does matter.
Thu 01/07/04 at 12:03
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I'm looking to get a 1GB stick from a quality manufacturer soon (wanting to fill all 4 slots on the mobo in the future), but getting memory this big normally means the CAS level will be a '3'. So what I want to know is does latency really matter? No one ever notices differences between high and low latency levels, do they? And if it does matter, is it possible to get a CAS 2 or 2.5 1GB stick?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.