GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Clever programmer guys"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/06/04 at 15:25
Regular
Since I know absolutely nothing about programming, im after someone who does.

Im not sure what language you'll have to know but basically, I want to draw your attention to the GP32 (handheld console) - [URL] http://www.gp32x.com [/URL]

Theres a community with developer forums where you can find tutorials, resources and all sorts of things to help. Also, theres developer sites you can check out if interested - [URL] http://home.t-online.de/home/mirkoroller/gp32/ [/URL] - and - [URL] http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/gp32/ [/URL] - looked useful.

I dont want to have to learn programming myself, way too complicated, but id love more games to be made for GP32.

Competitions are held every now and then for prizes such as brand new GP32 consoles, money and other sorts of stuff, aswell as prospects for a little bit of money from the community who support the games.

What I can do, however, is design all graphics for the programmers use. They dont have to be brilliant games, either. Simple flash-like (but not flash exactly, doesnt work on GP32) games are fine, gradually building a portfolio for yourself.

So, if anyone with the know-how is interested, let me know and we can speak further.

Ta.
Sun 27/06/04 at 15:25
Regular
Since I know absolutely nothing about programming, im after someone who does.

Im not sure what language you'll have to know but basically, I want to draw your attention to the GP32 (handheld console) - [URL] http://www.gp32x.com [/URL]

Theres a community with developer forums where you can find tutorials, resources and all sorts of things to help. Also, theres developer sites you can check out if interested - [URL] http://home.t-online.de/home/mirkoroller/gp32/ [/URL] - and - [URL] http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/gp32/ [/URL] - looked useful.

I dont want to have to learn programming myself, way too complicated, but id love more games to be made for GP32.

Competitions are held every now and then for prizes such as brand new GP32 consoles, money and other sorts of stuff, aswell as prospects for a little bit of money from the community who support the games.

What I can do, however, is design all graphics for the programmers use. They dont have to be brilliant games, either. Simple flash-like (but not flash exactly, doesnt work on GP32) games are fine, gradually building a portfolio for yourself.

So, if anyone with the know-how is interested, let me know and we can speak further.

Ta.
Sun 27/06/04 at 18:10
Regular
Even though I'm not competant at games programming, I am sure that the GP32 uses C++ for its applications, after having a look at some source code.
Sun 27/06/04 at 18:19
Regular
"relocated"
If I had a GP32 and a lot more time then I'd be interested - but sadly I don't. I'm absolutely certain that if you went to few game programming forums then you'd become very popular indeed because there are loads of programmers with no artistic talent whatsoever who would be desperate for your help.
Sun 27/06/04 at 18:43
Regular
Gamezfreak - yeah, I think thats what it is... really confuses me though so didnt want to say anything to make me look a bit silly. Theres other stuff you need too aint there... compilers, SDK... *shrug* - see what I mean, dont know what im talking about.
:D

Unknown Kernel - firstly, you dont really need to have a GP32 in the first place to make games for them. Theres something called GeePee32 which is an emulator for the PC to check your games on. Anyway, if you decide you want to do something let me know... if not no probs.
Do you know of any game programming forums?
Sun 27/06/04 at 20:31
Regular
Mentioned it to me on MSN and I'm willing to look into it a little more to try work out how hard it would be to come up with something simple.

Will talk to you on MSN though when I get the chance and have a bit more of a look at the developers forums and other links.

:-)
Sun 27/06/04 at 20:36
Regular
Nice one.

Still open for more people to ask questions if theyre interested.
Sun 27/06/04 at 22:50
Regular
"relocated"
There are some forums at www.gamedev.net and also some tutorials if you decide to give a coding a go yourself. There's also a game programming forum at www.yakyak.org. It's not very busy but people there are really nice and are the kind of hardcore gamers that would own GP32s (it's my personal gaming hero Jeff Minter's forum) so you might find someone really good.

I won't be able to do anything myself because I just have too much on at the moment: work during the day, open university in the evening, and I'm supposed to fit a social life in there too somewhere. Good luck with it though, it sounds fun.
Tue 29/06/04 at 13:02
Regular
omg wtf lol wrote:
> you dont really need to have a GP32 in the
> first place to make games for them. Theres something called GeePee32
> which is an emulator for the PC to check your games on.

Could you actually get this GeePee32 thing to work?

I downloaded it, and after I worked out how to get the thing to boot (ie. you have to obtain the firmware seperately), I found that none of the games seem to work.

There's these *.fpk files, which I've found no way to load, then there's these *.fxe files which I nearly got to load but ended up with loads of "SMC card not inserted" errors.

There doesn't seem to have any documentation (online, offline or anywhere), and it doesn't seem to tell you where to put any files...
Tue 29/06/04 at 15:04
Regular
The GeePee is for developers to test thier games on, NOT to actually emulate the GP32 and the games... which is basically a console which emulates other consoles, so if thats what you were looking for, just download SNES/Megadrive/etc emulators and use them.

The .fpk files are commercial games which you have to buy and install on the actual GP32. Again, .fxe files are homebrew games and emulators for the GP32 which you play on the console.

So, if youre trying to use the GeePee like you would the VisualBoy Advance or something like that, then... err, no use and go find something else. Or *buy* a GP32.

If youre actually interested in coding some games... i'll be happy to explain some stuff and help you.
Tue 29/06/04 at 16:04
Regular
I just wanted to get something to actually run on the emulator. I've used other emulators in the past, and the first goal has always been to actually get something to run on them.

There's loads of GP32 stuff to download on the Internet, but I couldn't get any of the stuff I tried to work. I've just had another look around and it seems that I might need to create a virtual SMC file or something. I found a guide explaining how to run Wolfenstein 3D on GeePee, so it seems stuff will probably work after a bit of poking around.

If I can get existing games / demos to work, I'll download the dev kit and see how easy it is to program for. Being a console it should have quite simple image/sound libraries that'll make it much easier than DirectX etc. to program.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.