GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The world around us"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/06/04 at 21:27
Regular
As summer looms ever closer, the world seems to be lacking the bright prospects and simplicities I remember when I was a kid. Summer used to be about hardcore 'fun in the sun', whilst at the present date, everywhere I look there is complications, depression and whining.
Recently I was watching the news, which, althought it's not exactly my favourite past time, used to be very informing and useful now seems to be depressing and monotonous. The issue of the Iraq war was a very delicate and interesting news bulletin until about 6 months after it happened, but now, over a year later, to still be hearing reports on "Should it have happened?", "Was Tony Blair right?" and "Lets milk this..er...was it bad?", make the delicate situation far worse than it ever was, if Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destructions, he needed to be disarmed, that is the simple issue here. What's the point in 'crying over spilt milk' after all?
Football and tennis dominate my television screen, as I try and find something to watch I am confronted with either some no-name Russians slogging out a boring 2 hour tennis match or some football game with the two most obbscure teams in the world. There has been far too much of an emphasis on 'Euro 2004'. I like to see a decent football game now and again yes, especially when my home team is playing, but it really is too much to hang a towel sporting 'Come on England' over my balcony as I drive off to work in my 8 flagged car! There are too many red-blooded hooligans who have decided to show there somewhat skeptical 'patriotism' by going out and torching a portugese man's car.
Why can't the world go back to the simplistic slogans of 'Enjoy the weather' and not a lesson in foreign football ethics. Safety nowadays seems to dominate every commercial aswell now, with such things as "Make sure you wear factor 100 suncream", incase you burn into a small unrecognisable crisp. Surely we can opt to not watch sport and manage our own safety?
And...now onto the weather. There is a spate of extremely warm weather as you are in a hard week of work. So, at the weekend you dig out the buckets and spades and prepare for a family visit to the seaseide, and what happens?...it starts chucking it down with rain!
I just want a minimilsitic summer of sun, sea and sand, with the occasional mixture of enjoyable television films, not the endless whining of soccer fans and depressing newsreaders alike.
So I say, roll on the summer holidays and the sun!

Jon.
Sat 26/06/04 at 21:27
Regular
As summer looms ever closer, the world seems to be lacking the bright prospects and simplicities I remember when I was a kid. Summer used to be about hardcore 'fun in the sun', whilst at the present date, everywhere I look there is complications, depression and whining.
Recently I was watching the news, which, althought it's not exactly my favourite past time, used to be very informing and useful now seems to be depressing and monotonous. The issue of the Iraq war was a very delicate and interesting news bulletin until about 6 months after it happened, but now, over a year later, to still be hearing reports on "Should it have happened?", "Was Tony Blair right?" and "Lets milk this..er...was it bad?", make the delicate situation far worse than it ever was, if Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destructions, he needed to be disarmed, that is the simple issue here. What's the point in 'crying over spilt milk' after all?
Football and tennis dominate my television screen, as I try and find something to watch I am confronted with either some no-name Russians slogging out a boring 2 hour tennis match or some football game with the two most obbscure teams in the world. There has been far too much of an emphasis on 'Euro 2004'. I like to see a decent football game now and again yes, especially when my home team is playing, but it really is too much to hang a towel sporting 'Come on England' over my balcony as I drive off to work in my 8 flagged car! There are too many red-blooded hooligans who have decided to show there somewhat skeptical 'patriotism' by going out and torching a portugese man's car.
Why can't the world go back to the simplistic slogans of 'Enjoy the weather' and not a lesson in foreign football ethics. Safety nowadays seems to dominate every commercial aswell now, with such things as "Make sure you wear factor 100 suncream", incase you burn into a small unrecognisable crisp. Surely we can opt to not watch sport and manage our own safety?
And...now onto the weather. There is a spate of extremely warm weather as you are in a hard week of work. So, at the weekend you dig out the buckets and spades and prepare for a family visit to the seaseide, and what happens?...it starts chucking it down with rain!
I just want a minimilsitic summer of sun, sea and sand, with the occasional mixture of enjoyable television films, not the endless whining of soccer fans and depressing newsreaders alike.
So I say, roll on the summer holidays and the sun!

Jon.
Sat 26/06/04 at 22:16
"period drama"
Please accept my apologies for you growing up, the war, England being crap at sport, increased awareness of skin cancer and weekend weather patterns.
Sat 26/06/04 at 22:19
Regular
"Selected"
Thanks Jon
Sat 26/06/04 at 22:20
Regular
Apology accepted :p
Sat 26/06/04 at 22:46
Regular
"SOUP!"
I was going to make a semi-patronising whitty-esque response, but I'd only be living on FFF's shadow. hmph
Sun 27/06/04 at 06:18
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
You can't live in his shadow. He doesn't have one on account of the poor weather!
Sun 27/06/04 at 09:06
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
:)
Sun 27/06/04 at 12:39
Regular
"now speaks Japanese"
Oh how I remember the summer of 76. LOng hot days in the sun, trips to the beach. peeling shoulders. Eating to many wiliks the finding out I have an allergy to shell fish. Sickness because I wasn't wearing a hat. Eating 6 ice lollies a hour. And egg and tomato sandwiches with added sand. Where have these days gone.
Sun 27/06/04 at 12:44
Regular
"8==="
You have to make your own fun, don't wait for it to come to you.

Nothing on TV? Buy a DVD.

Weather bad? Listen to some music, go on the net, play some games etc.

Look harder and you'll find something good to do.
Sun 27/06/04 at 20:35
Regular
No thanks...im too lazy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.