GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's Making This Noise?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/06/04 at 20:52
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
[URL]http://firestorm.staghosting.com/madness.wav[/URL]

It's a recording of my computer. It seems to make this noise when I start it up, and continues to do so for about 5-15 minutes after I'm on it and everything, then it stops and everything's fine.

Any ideas?
Ta.
Sat 26/06/04 at 20:52
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
[URL]http://firestorm.staghosting.com/madness.wav[/URL]

It's a recording of my computer. It seems to make this noise when I start it up, and continues to do so for about 5-15 minutes after I'm on it and everything, then it stops and everything's fine.

Any ideas?
Ta.
Sat 26/06/04 at 20:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Your ASS!!!!!!111111OMG!
Sat 26/06/04 at 20:55
"I love yo... lamp."
Most likely a dying fan.

Got many case fans if any? Start the PC up with the side off the case and listen. I tend to think it is a fan because I had one slowly die not that long ago and they make that sort of noise as they dry out inside the spindle.
Sat 26/06/04 at 20:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sounds like it could be a piece of paper nudging against a fan. PSU fans tend to come on when a computer starts then turn off later on. Could you give us a location as to whereabouts inside the computer the sound appears to be coming from?

Ta.
Sat 26/06/04 at 21:28
Regular
"Touched!"
You could have a massive build up of dust on a fan, which is requiring the fan to work overtime upon boot up, or it could be that something is loose inside the comp.
Sat 26/06/04 at 23:17
Regular
"NULL"
Over time, the fan blades will expand slightly. When the PC is cold, this results in the fan blades touching the edge of the fan casings. Once the PC warms up, it will stop as the fan casing expands slightly. You can cure it by replacing the fan in question or using a piece of sand paper on the ends of the fan blades to shorten the fan by a fraction of a mm.
Sun 27/06/04 at 08:28
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Most liley to be a wire hitting the fan, happened to me, usally a bit louder than that though
Sun 27/06/04 at 09:08
Regular
"Nobody Home"
DiG wrote:
> Most liley to be a wire hitting the fan, happened to me, usally a bit
> louder than that though

think he's rite. sounds like a wire to me. just move it away from your fan if there is one.
Sun 27/06/04 at 13:14
"I love yo... lamp."
I don't think it is a wire or paper because it would be a constant noise, not one that goes away.

The time thing is consistent with a fan dying.
Sun 27/06/04 at 13:20
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Thats a suprisinly good recording.

It does sound like a fan, but which one.?

Have you opened it up and stuck your ar in to see if you can tell which one it is?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.