GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo GameBoy Advance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/04/01 at 23:42
Regular
Here is er-no's lowdown on the ickle machine with loads of power...

The Game Boy Advance system is 32 bits of power in a housing that's the same length and width, but even thinner than Game Boy Color. It's just the right size for slipping into your pocket. One of the best statistics of the GBA is when you connect four GBA systems at once you can get a whole new level of multiplayer action! With some games, you can get multiplayer action by sharing only ONE Game Pak! (MarioAdvance)

The GBA screen is a whooping 50% bigger! People ask me then, 'its gotta be massive!' Its not massive in anyway infact it is just the right size.

What is the big difference? Well er-it has two new buttons that add to the gaming control and movement when playing, infact sometimes you can use the buttons and you don't notice you are using them, it becomes a habit when playing F-Zero.

Just like the GREAT iMacs, you can pick the colour, whether it be to go with your room or your fridge.

Surely with a screen 50% bigger the battery... Let me stop that question there because just like the Family Fortunes noise when you get something wrong, the batteries last 50% longer then the GBC, I don't understand, where did the power go in the original gameboy?

Talk about portability the game paks are half the size of the original gameboy paks!!

Plus you have the LightBoyAdvance which is something that attaches over the top of the GBA, and is endorsed by Nintendo (so it fits) and it works brilliantly.

'Mum, I am going to bed early' will be the new call!

Future Connectibility of the GBA is something to really look forward to, lets just wait and see on that one.

Because the GBA is backwards compatable you can play any GB game that you already have (enough said).
Just one last thing, when your dad asks you to turn the volume down, don't moan, just plug in the earphones and you have some sweet sweet music!

Thanks for reading
er-no

Mon 23/04/01 at 23:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
Here is er-no's lowdown on the ickle machine with loads of power...

The Game Boy Advance system is 32 bits of power in a housing that's the same length and width, but even thinner than Game Boy Color. It's just the right size for slipping into your pocket. One of the best statistics of the GBA is when you connect four GBA systems at once you can get a whole new level of multiplayer action! With some games, you can get multiplayer action by sharing only ONE Game Pak! (MarioAdvance)

The GBA screen is a whooping 50% bigger! People ask me then, 'its gotta be massive!' Its not massive in anyway infact it is just the right size.

What is the big difference? Well er-it has two new buttons that add to the gaming control and movement when playing, infact sometimes you can use the buttons and you don't notice you are using them, it becomes a habit when playing F-Zero.

Just like the GREAT iMacs, you can pick the colour, whether it be to go with your room or your fridge.

Surely with a screen 50% bigger the battery... Let me stop that question there because just like the Family Fortunes noise when you get something wrong, the batteries last 50% longer then the GBC, I don't understand, where did the power go in the original gameboy?

Talk about portability the game paks are half the size of the original gameboy paks!!

Plus you have the LightBoyAdvance which is something that attaches over the top of the GBA, and is endorsed by Nintendo (so it fits) and it works brilliantly.

'Mum, I am going to bed early' will be the new call!

Future Connectibility of the GBA is something to really look forward to, lets just wait and see on that one.

Because the GBA is backwards compatable you can play any GB game that you already have (enough said).
Just one last thing, when your dad asks you to turn the volume down, don't moan, just plug in the earphones and you have some sweet sweet music!

Thanks for reading
er-no

Mon 23/04/01 at 23:50
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Is there anything bad about it er-no?
are you sure?
Tue 24/04/01 at 11:47
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
TheMorrigan wrote:
> Is there anything bad about it er-no?
are you sure?

yes... I have to pay for mine! :(
Tue 24/04/01 at 12:08
Regular
For a regular er-no you don't know what's new.
Tue 24/04/01 at 14:49
Regular
There is one or two bad things.

Firstly, the screen. It could really have done with a back light.

Next, the "four player with one cart" thing isn't as good as we could have hoped. Yet.

F-Zero with one cart only allows people to all choose the same ship, and only one track is available. If you have four packs though, you may want to start living with your friends.
Tue 24/04/01 at 15:52
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Most of the GBC batteries went into the backlit screen.

I think!!!
Tue 24/04/01 at 16:49
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Sorry to be a bit dim here guys, but does F-Zero have flying bits in it? Let me explain…In the original game (F-Zero X for the N64) there were magical bits where your racing machine left the course of the track for a jump. Often there will be parts missing of the track to you see yourself flying off to the next bit of the track.

I would just like to know if the GBA version can pull off this stunt? Fort some reason, the bits where you “fly” in F Zero X game me a great felling of freedom (even if it was for 3 seconds)

Cheers.
Tue 24/04/01 at 16:58
Regular
Yup, there are flying bits in it... :0)

Only problem being that all the tracks are completely flat, and are all on one later. This sounds a lot worse than it is, believe me.

Tue 24/04/01 at 17:18
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Yup, there are flying bits in it... :0)

Only problem being that
> all the tracks are completely flat, and are all on one layer. This
> sounds a lot worse than it is, believe me.

*shudders* Flat?? You would have thought they would of added a few loop "da" loops on it. Still, I'm sure its a brilliant game!
Tue 24/04/01 at 18:42
"possibly impossible"
M16 wrote:
> Sorry to be a bit dim here guys, but does F-Zero have flying bits in
> it? Let me explain…In the original game (F-Zero X for the N64) there
> were magical bits where your racing machine left the course of the
> track for a jump. Often there will be parts missing of the track to
> you see yourself flying off to the next bit of the track.

M16 - Fzero X was the sequel to the original, cunningly entitled FZero, on the SNES. The SNES was very similar to the GBA version and the only 'flying' bits were when you hit a ramp and took off about 3cm into the air.

So, unfortunately for you, there is no flying as such, but the rest of the game is so fantastic that you'll soon forget about that element!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.