GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of Gaming - £££"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/06/00 at 12:24
Regular
When Final Fantasy 7 was released on the Playstation a few years back, many people turned around and said SEVEN?, where have the last 6 Been?
The first six were not given a UK release. Why because it was thought that 'it wouldn't be recieved well'. It was only when RPG became widespread that we saw any sign of a UK release. What has this got to do with the future. Well recently to my dissapointment I discovered that Legend of Mana, would not be given a UK release. This was due to the fact that Square, thought 'it would'nt be recieved well'. So although Square fans, RPG fans, and Mana fans, such as myself, have been eagerly awaiting the game we will be forced to play it on import. This proves two things, at the end of the day the Developers main concern is Money. To make money more games have to be sold. If the Playstation 2 does not sell well, will Square still support the Console? No! They left the SNES for playstation when it became apparant that Playstation was about to take off. The Developers aren't concerned with loyalty to a brand of console, or a certain breed of Gamers (UK RPG gamers). So why should we the gamers have any loyalty to a particular machine, or developer. At the end of the day the console that sells the most has the potential to sell more games. So a Developer is obviously going to focus more time making games for that console.
The future of Gaming will depend on the same thing that has shaped all of history up until this point. $Money$.
Fri 23/06/00 at 11:59
It's all about the cash and not about what we want anymore. Developers are always bringing out crappy games that noone wants to play but buys anyway because of all the hype surrounding the game.
Most of the developers just bring out games that are made with little attention to detail and gameplay (e.g WCW Nitro,WCW Thunder,Superman & Pokemon Stadium) Game developers like Eidos and Acclaim are still bringing us quality games that don't dissapoint the gaming community.
The developers neede to return to the days when they made cool games that held the gamers captive for longer than a week. We need more Chrono Triggers and more Double Dragons. Also it would be good idea to bring out more games based on TV shows like Buffy The Vampire Slayer or Angel, these games would make a lot of ca$h(for the corporate fat cats) and would provide excellent gameplay.
Sun 18/06/00 at 09:41
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
You make a great point mate. But as for loyalty, these bosses of Sega, Sony, Nintendo don't think twice about loyal customers, they worry about paying customers, the ones who pay their wages and buy them theirfast cars, and get them those young women (I'd swap places with them anyday, and I bet most of you would to). But just because you own a Console or two from a certain company, doesn't mean you should worry about making them sound good, dispite what you think, people arn't going too buy a console just because you say it's good, or not buy one because you say it's not that great, most people don't go for name's in consoles, they go for games/price/range. Which is why the Playstation is so popular, It may not have all the best games on it, but not everyone is looking for long, and sometimes boring game, these casual games 18-25 somethings have a PSX for the od occation, such as after the pub, when the mates are around etc.....
So, next time you think your loyalty will be rewarded, your wrong. Stop waseting your time worrying, and start enjoying the games.
Fri 16/06/00 at 12:25
I agree with what you said I am just saying don't expect many developers to cahnge from playstation because it will have a larger target audience. Therefore possibly more money.
Thu 15/06/00 at 15:56
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
obviously it's about money, this is so straight forward, by the way I totally agree with the hooded claw, but if you ran a multi million dollar buissness, and if you brought out a game that your top exsecutives had pointed out to be a complete waste of money and time, no matter how many of fans like yourself likes it, then it would be the best idea to only sell it to the best market, I.E. America, I understand what you mean because Perfect Dark is being sold in Japan and America when they are a British company, this I don't understand, also I remember when the 64DD was about 6 months to coming out in `97, but stumbled in Japan........again, those bloomin Japanese.
an American import shouldn't be so bad, it costs a little more, but then you wouldn't buy it if you didn't want it.
Thu 15/06/00 at 13:41
Of course it all revolves around money. The people have bills to pay and families to feed, the rich executives have greed and life styles to keep up. The only reason they're in the BUSINESS is for the money, and there's nothing wrong with that, everyone needs to make a living, and I know if I was a corporate fat cat, I wouldn't scrifice my profits to carry on making games for a dead console, like a captain on a sinking ship.
As for our loyalty to machines, there shouldn't be any. The companies behind them are trying to get all they can out of us, and the only reason we buy their consoles, games, etc. is because we like playing them. Not to line peoples pockets.
Thu 15/06/00 at 12:24
When Final Fantasy 7 was released on the Playstation a few years back, many people turned around and said SEVEN?, where have the last 6 Been?
The first six were not given a UK release. Why because it was thought that 'it wouldn't be recieved well'. It was only when RPG became widespread that we saw any sign of a UK release. What has this got to do with the future. Well recently to my dissapointment I discovered that Legend of Mana, would not be given a UK release. This was due to the fact that Square, thought 'it would'nt be recieved well'. So although Square fans, RPG fans, and Mana fans, such as myself, have been eagerly awaiting the game we will be forced to play it on import. This proves two things, at the end of the day the Developers main concern is Money. To make money more games have to be sold. If the Playstation 2 does not sell well, will Square still support the Console? No! They left the SNES for playstation when it became apparant that Playstation was about to take off. The Developers aren't concerned with loyalty to a brand of console, or a certain breed of Gamers (UK RPG gamers). So why should we the gamers have any loyalty to a particular machine, or developer. At the end of the day the console that sells the most has the potential to sell more games. So a Developer is obviously going to focus more time making games for that console.
The future of Gaming will depend on the same thing that has shaped all of history up until this point. $Money$.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.