GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Possible silly domain name question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/06/04 at 16:21
Regular
"Twenty quid."
If I've got a domain which I bought with one company, can I let it expire and then just buy it through another?
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:01
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
Is this a Nominet domain name (ends with .uk), for different types of domain names requires different ways of transferring for instants Nominet domains can be transferred by asking the current tag holder to change the IPS tag. Centralnic (uk.com us.com etc..) requires a Centralnic handles to be changed by the current registrar on either of the three options i.e Administration, Billing and Technical Handles. Verisign Domains (.com .net) is normally easier, if the registrant has the admin and technical email contacts as themselves they can approve transfer out requests themselves, this also applies to .info and .org but they require a password to iniate transfers by the main registrar that controls them (at the moment I can't remember who they are but they are listed somewhere on ICANN.org)
Also different registrars have different routes to go through when the domain expires, for instants a Nominet domain the registrant will be suspended and then the domain detagged. Verisign domains go into Redemptions Period. I can't remember about Centralnic but I believe they are removed when the handle states they wisht to release the domain.
Tue 22/06/04 at 21:31
Regular
"Twenty quid."
The website under the domain name in question is a non-changing one (i.e. an online advert) so I may as well wait for it to expire (end of August) rather than paying transfer fees.
Tue 22/06/04 at 21:19
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
phi11ip wrote:
> Freeola charge something stupid to move a domain, it's gonna cost me
> quite a bit to move mine.

Hmm, that's odd. It was only the company I was transferring to that charged me. I spose Freeola needs to include nasty little additional costs like these to cover their expenses (unlimited webspace and all). Saying that, don't you have to dial a local rate number to connect to their FTP servers? Or has that changed?
Tue 22/06/04 at 21:07
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Freeola charge something stupid to move a domain, it's gonna cost me quite a bit to move mine.
Tue 22/06/04 at 19:54
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Why don't you just open up an account with the company you wish to transfer it to. They should then give you the option to transfer domain names to them, and provide you with their IPS TAG, which you must pass on to your current company, asking for them to change it.

The new company might well charge you for the transfer (not much, usually around £5), but this is the method I used, and everything went smoothly enough! :)
Tue 22/06/04 at 18:52
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Cheers, super-bike-boy.

:^)
Tue 22/06/04 at 16:40
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
think it has to be detagged or similar, you need to find a site with a decent faq, one thing to watch, a lot of domain registration comapnies automatically renew the URL and charge you for it (it's in the small print when you originally buy the name) when it expires.
Tue 22/06/04 at 16:21
Regular
"Twenty quid."
If I've got a domain which I bought with one company, can I let it expire and then just buy it through another?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.