GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One of my hobbies!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 10:14
Regular
""
I thought I would chill out and write about one of my hobbies, Art.

Reading art history can be very boring, I know from experience.
I have tried to make this simple to read and informative at the same time.

So a little bit of Art history made easy! I hope you enjoy this.

There is a famous artist, one, who many of you I am sure have heard of and may have seen his paintings in galleries.
Sometimes I feel his name is bandied about so much and for the wrong reasons, I do feel that sometimes people really do not recognize his life and the struggles he had to become a famous artist.

Also, I feel that the time that he lived was a liberating time for artists.
The Impressionist and Post Impressionist’s had to persevere and fight for their style of art.
It was an art, which helped to shape further art, to make art, what it is today.
I think it is a freedom of expression ~ of thoughts and feelings.

I know art work is very subjective and it depends upon an individual person’s taste but
I would like to share with you the reasons why I admire Van Gogh’s work, especially –
The Sunflowers.

VAN GOGH

Van Gogh is one of my favourite artists although I do have many.
I think this period in art is one of the most fascinating and exciting although I do know many artists struggled not only for recognition and paint but for food as well. Van Gogh certainly did, he also suffered with his health.

“I cannot help it that my paintings do not sell.
The time will come when people will see that they are worth more than the price of paint”

Vincent Van Gogh 1853 -1890

I know from personal experience many people get confused between Impressionism and Post Impressionism. I hope this little essay will explain it.

Vincent Willem Van Gogh was born on 30th March, 1853, in Holland.
His works mostly falls into the Post Impressionist movement. But it was influenced by the Impressionist movement.
Van Gogh was an individualist who used his emotions when painting.
To understand Van Gogh’s work, it is necessary to understand Impressionism and the effect this style of painting had in the 19th century in France.

IMPRESSIONISM

This movement began about 1860; all the impressionist artists were born between 1830 and 1841.
The artists in the middle of the 19th century worked in Academies, and they were taught that art should be traditional, as it had been for centuries; also that it should show a strong narrative content, the forms were to be idealized and colouring and shading were to be mastered in a certain way.
There were certain rules and the artists were expected to obey them.

During the 19th Century, Paris was the hub of the Art world.

Le Salon in Paris was the exhibition hall for artists; this was dominated by J.A Ingres and his followers. Ingres had been a pupil of Jaques Louis David, who had been the ‘Official Artist’ of the revolutionary government in France.

Ingres was a strong traditionalist; he insisted on precision, graceful and sensuous line, he particularly disliked any messiness in art.
Paintings presented to Le Salon for exhibition would be rejected if they did not fulfill the criteria expected by the traditionalists.

Le Salon had the power to make or break an artist.

ARTISTS AND LE SALON

Many artists at that time were becoming discontented with the Academies and they broke into small groups, this enabled them to explore their individual taste in art and the new way of painting.
When Impressionist artists offered their work to Le Salon, they were rejected over and over again, this was because the style of the paintings challenged all that Le Salon and it artists and patrons held in esteem.
If you read various life stories of artists during this time they are quite fascinating.

In 1863, Emperor Napoleon 111 had opened a second exhibition for artists whose work had been rejected.
This was called Salon des Refuses.

The critics could not contain themselves, Claude Monet was ridiculed, E. Manet’s work outraged the critics, because of the content, but Manet was like a father figure and the critics made him more popular amongst his group.

The ridicule brought the painters together to discuss ideas, and this was instantly separating them from other artists of their time.

(Don’t confuse Monet with Manet they are two separate artists – personally I prefer Manet I have seen both of these artists work in various galleries and Manet is impressive)

WHAT IS IMPRESSIONISM?

The word impressionist was first used by a journalist who tried to dismiss the paintings.
This was published in a satirical magazine called ‘Le Charivari’.

Impressionist sought to put immediacy, emotions and spontaneity into their work.
They had no clear lines and various techniques were used, dots, dashes, and paint straight from the tube.

During the 1870’s the Impressionist began to lose their inspiration and found it difficult to produce work to their satisfaction, although they exhibited at times, as a group between 1874 and 1886.
Literature that was serious about paintings only began to appear about 1870, where the style was then discussed.

POST IMPRESSIONISM ~ 1885-1905

Van Gogh did not decide to become an artist until 1880, although he had always been interested in Art. He had worked for Art dealers, partly owned by his uncle,
Goupil and Co. In The Hague and in London.

He had many contacts in the art world.
He had also produced his own art work, prior to 1880.

In 1886 Van Gogh decided to move to Paris. Previously his work had been of peasants, and worked in dark colours, this move to Paris was the turning point in his art.
(Look up this work of peasants, it is brilliant!)

The impressionist were exploring new ideas, Claude Monet’s use of colour in his painting had an effect on Van Gogh, also there was now a freer choice of subjects due to the impressionists developing the idea of working out of doors, instead of in the studio. This appealed to Van Gogh.

At this time “Japonisme” was very popular with the French Impressionist, Japan had been trading with Europe for about twenty years and their prints were used in packaging and could be easily bought very cheaply in local tea shops.

Van Gogh was influenced by Japanese art and their culture.

(I have seen an exhibition of Japanese work it and it is really noticeable where a lot of famous painters used these as ideas for their work – Japanese art work is brilliant in its own right)

In 1888, he had tired of Paris and decided to rent a house in Arles, France. This is where he painted “The Sunflowers”

The outside of the house was painted yellow, yellow is symbolic for friendship in the Japanese culture, yellow also represented golden wheat, the glory of the sun and colour of creation.

This colour was Van Gogh’s favorite; he hoped to set u p a new movement in art with the “yellow house” as its base.

Paul Gaugin , his friend moved in with him to help organize this Artists Society, to be called “Studio of Tropics”

Their ideas on art were not always compatible and they argued, this resulted with Paul Gaugin leaving.

Van Gogh was happy in the house; he produced over two hundred painting in fifteen months, although he was plagued with mental illness.

Van Gogh had a very sensitive approach to art, sensitivity stands out in most of his work, he was a highly emotional artist, who fitted into the Impressionist way of work, and he was able to use swirls, dashes, and impasto. During the last two years of his life, the paint was in fact much thicker than at any other time on his paintings.

Van Gogh responded to his life through his art. he had many interests and he was often inspired by these for his paintings.

THE SUNFLOWERS

I have selected this painting due to the vibrancy of the colours; also because this painting is one of the most famous paintings if not the most famous, especially for monetary value, it last sold for forty million dollars.
It is such a shame he never knew!

I think Van Gogh has brought this picture alive through his emotions, I feel as if I could almost touch and feel the depth of the flowers that have been created by the bold brush strokes.

Some of the flower heads are not fully in the painting, this is a sign of Impressionist work, Edgar Degas often did this in his paintings of his ballerina’s.

The painting is made up almost entirely of the colour yellow.
The brush strokes are so forceful, one does not realize just how much so until one tries to emulate them.
Van Gogh had to paint the picture quickly before the flower heads dropped.

I once selected one of the flowers in the painting to copy; it was the hardest task I have ever undertaken in painting. I found a momentum with the colour that encouraged me to continue, although I could not paint it all in one session I felt as if I wanted to. The colours were so vibrant and had so much energy in them. They were very difficult to match especially as, although I had seen the original painting the postcard quality are never the same and I had to keep going back to see the painting!

An extract from one of Van Gogh’s letters to his friend and fellow artist, Emile Barnard.

“We can paint an atom of chaos – a horse, a portrait, your grandmother, apples and a landscape…”

Van Gogh believed these could be transformed with colour and feeling into powerful symbols, for example “The Sunflowers” ~ an arrangement of flowers ~ portraying, light, power and energy.

I hope if you have enjoyed reading this essay as I have writing it.
I do enjoy art and learning about new artists and remembering the old ones. It is particularly fascinating for me as I love history and reading about the people of different times. I am an emotional, sensory person who enjoys interpreting paintings and I try to imagine what life must have been like for these struggling artists.
Sun 20/06/04 at 20:03
Regular
you know that bit when they told you to go and do your art exam in the main hall? well i would have gone there to submit it rather than the IT room.
Sun 20/06/04 at 19:45
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
mog wrote:
> Are you trying to bore us to death :D

It's interesting...... read all of it, you might enjoy it
Sun 20/06/04 at 11:51
Regular
"now speaks Japanese"
Are you trying to bore us to death :D
Sun 20/06/04 at 10:14
Regular
""
I thought I would chill out and write about one of my hobbies, Art.

Reading art history can be very boring, I know from experience.
I have tried to make this simple to read and informative at the same time.

So a little bit of Art history made easy! I hope you enjoy this.

There is a famous artist, one, who many of you I am sure have heard of and may have seen his paintings in galleries.
Sometimes I feel his name is bandied about so much and for the wrong reasons, I do feel that sometimes people really do not recognize his life and the struggles he had to become a famous artist.

Also, I feel that the time that he lived was a liberating time for artists.
The Impressionist and Post Impressionist’s had to persevere and fight for their style of art.
It was an art, which helped to shape further art, to make art, what it is today.
I think it is a freedom of expression ~ of thoughts and feelings.

I know art work is very subjective and it depends upon an individual person’s taste but
I would like to share with you the reasons why I admire Van Gogh’s work, especially –
The Sunflowers.

VAN GOGH

Van Gogh is one of my favourite artists although I do have many.
I think this period in art is one of the most fascinating and exciting although I do know many artists struggled not only for recognition and paint but for food as well. Van Gogh certainly did, he also suffered with his health.

“I cannot help it that my paintings do not sell.
The time will come when people will see that they are worth more than the price of paint”

Vincent Van Gogh 1853 -1890

I know from personal experience many people get confused between Impressionism and Post Impressionism. I hope this little essay will explain it.

Vincent Willem Van Gogh was born on 30th March, 1853, in Holland.
His works mostly falls into the Post Impressionist movement. But it was influenced by the Impressionist movement.
Van Gogh was an individualist who used his emotions when painting.
To understand Van Gogh’s work, it is necessary to understand Impressionism and the effect this style of painting had in the 19th century in France.

IMPRESSIONISM

This movement began about 1860; all the impressionist artists were born between 1830 and 1841.
The artists in the middle of the 19th century worked in Academies, and they were taught that art should be traditional, as it had been for centuries; also that it should show a strong narrative content, the forms were to be idealized and colouring and shading were to be mastered in a certain way.
There were certain rules and the artists were expected to obey them.

During the 19th Century, Paris was the hub of the Art world.

Le Salon in Paris was the exhibition hall for artists; this was dominated by J.A Ingres and his followers. Ingres had been a pupil of Jaques Louis David, who had been the ‘Official Artist’ of the revolutionary government in France.

Ingres was a strong traditionalist; he insisted on precision, graceful and sensuous line, he particularly disliked any messiness in art.
Paintings presented to Le Salon for exhibition would be rejected if they did not fulfill the criteria expected by the traditionalists.

Le Salon had the power to make or break an artist.

ARTISTS AND LE SALON

Many artists at that time were becoming discontented with the Academies and they broke into small groups, this enabled them to explore their individual taste in art and the new way of painting.
When Impressionist artists offered their work to Le Salon, they were rejected over and over again, this was because the style of the paintings challenged all that Le Salon and it artists and patrons held in esteem.
If you read various life stories of artists during this time they are quite fascinating.

In 1863, Emperor Napoleon 111 had opened a second exhibition for artists whose work had been rejected.
This was called Salon des Refuses.

The critics could not contain themselves, Claude Monet was ridiculed, E. Manet’s work outraged the critics, because of the content, but Manet was like a father figure and the critics made him more popular amongst his group.

The ridicule brought the painters together to discuss ideas, and this was instantly separating them from other artists of their time.

(Don’t confuse Monet with Manet they are two separate artists – personally I prefer Manet I have seen both of these artists work in various galleries and Manet is impressive)

WHAT IS IMPRESSIONISM?

The word impressionist was first used by a journalist who tried to dismiss the paintings.
This was published in a satirical magazine called ‘Le Charivari’.

Impressionist sought to put immediacy, emotions and spontaneity into their work.
They had no clear lines and various techniques were used, dots, dashes, and paint straight from the tube.

During the 1870’s the Impressionist began to lose their inspiration and found it difficult to produce work to their satisfaction, although they exhibited at times, as a group between 1874 and 1886.
Literature that was serious about paintings only began to appear about 1870, where the style was then discussed.

POST IMPRESSIONISM ~ 1885-1905

Van Gogh did not decide to become an artist until 1880, although he had always been interested in Art. He had worked for Art dealers, partly owned by his uncle,
Goupil and Co. In The Hague and in London.

He had many contacts in the art world.
He had also produced his own art work, prior to 1880.

In 1886 Van Gogh decided to move to Paris. Previously his work had been of peasants, and worked in dark colours, this move to Paris was the turning point in his art.
(Look up this work of peasants, it is brilliant!)

The impressionist were exploring new ideas, Claude Monet’s use of colour in his painting had an effect on Van Gogh, also there was now a freer choice of subjects due to the impressionists developing the idea of working out of doors, instead of in the studio. This appealed to Van Gogh.

At this time “Japonisme” was very popular with the French Impressionist, Japan had been trading with Europe for about twenty years and their prints were used in packaging and could be easily bought very cheaply in local tea shops.

Van Gogh was influenced by Japanese art and their culture.

(I have seen an exhibition of Japanese work it and it is really noticeable where a lot of famous painters used these as ideas for their work – Japanese art work is brilliant in its own right)

In 1888, he had tired of Paris and decided to rent a house in Arles, France. This is where he painted “The Sunflowers”

The outside of the house was painted yellow, yellow is symbolic for friendship in the Japanese culture, yellow also represented golden wheat, the glory of the sun and colour of creation.

This colour was Van Gogh’s favorite; he hoped to set u p a new movement in art with the “yellow house” as its base.

Paul Gaugin , his friend moved in with him to help organize this Artists Society, to be called “Studio of Tropics”

Their ideas on art were not always compatible and they argued, this resulted with Paul Gaugin leaving.

Van Gogh was happy in the house; he produced over two hundred painting in fifteen months, although he was plagued with mental illness.

Van Gogh had a very sensitive approach to art, sensitivity stands out in most of his work, he was a highly emotional artist, who fitted into the Impressionist way of work, and he was able to use swirls, dashes, and impasto. During the last two years of his life, the paint was in fact much thicker than at any other time on his paintings.

Van Gogh responded to his life through his art. he had many interests and he was often inspired by these for his paintings.

THE SUNFLOWERS

I have selected this painting due to the vibrancy of the colours; also because this painting is one of the most famous paintings if not the most famous, especially for monetary value, it last sold for forty million dollars.
It is such a shame he never knew!

I think Van Gogh has brought this picture alive through his emotions, I feel as if I could almost touch and feel the depth of the flowers that have been created by the bold brush strokes.

Some of the flower heads are not fully in the painting, this is a sign of Impressionist work, Edgar Degas often did this in his paintings of his ballerina’s.

The painting is made up almost entirely of the colour yellow.
The brush strokes are so forceful, one does not realize just how much so until one tries to emulate them.
Van Gogh had to paint the picture quickly before the flower heads dropped.

I once selected one of the flowers in the painting to copy; it was the hardest task I have ever undertaken in painting. I found a momentum with the colour that encouraged me to continue, although I could not paint it all in one session I felt as if I wanted to. The colours were so vibrant and had so much energy in them. They were very difficult to match especially as, although I had seen the original painting the postcard quality are never the same and I had to keep going back to see the painting!

An extract from one of Van Gogh’s letters to his friend and fellow artist, Emile Barnard.

“We can paint an atom of chaos – a horse, a portrait, your grandmother, apples and a landscape…”

Van Gogh believed these could be transformed with colour and feeling into powerful symbols, for example “The Sunflowers” ~ an arrangement of flowers ~ portraying, light, power and energy.

I hope if you have enjoyed reading this essay as I have writing it.
I do enjoy art and learning about new artists and remembering the old ones. It is particularly fascinating for me as I love history and reading about the people of different times. I am an emotional, sensory person who enjoys interpreting paintings and I try to imagine what life must have been like for these struggling artists.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.