GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Faulty Xbox - Anyone help?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/02/05 at 09:17
Regular
My Xbox has started playing up again. When you turn it on, the hard drive makes a horrible clicking noise for a while, then the LED flashes red, and and error code 07 comes up on the screen.

This happened a bit over Christmas, but then it just started working again. However, it's done it again and I want to get it sorted.

So:

How easy would it be to get hold of and install a new HDD? Would this stop me going on Live at some point in the future when I get BB?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you get round it?

I don't really want to buy a new console, but if it's going to be the easiest, most reliable way to sort it out, then I will.

Cheers.
Wed 23/02/05 at 23:53
Regular
"Ruddie1"
"your name here" wrote:

> I'm still waiting for a reply to my email about my potentional lethal
> power cable, it was made in 2002 and got the email, but no exact link
> to get a new one, it's been about 4 days since i've emailed them.

http://replacements.webprogram.com/en-gb/New_Order.asp

shud be right mate
Wed 23/02/05 at 23:50
Regular
"Ruddie1"
sPiKeCaSt wrote:
I know I'd rather get a new
> one than wait for MS to take ages to fix it and charge me at least
> £50
They fixed mine out of warrenty for free it took them 5days, they picked it up and delivered it, i had a new motherboard and dvd rom put in
Wed 23/02/05 at 21:29
"Tesco value"
I think you have to be careful what hard drive you use, I think only a certain manufacturer works on it, although i'm not sure.

Rit it out and clone the hardrive onto another one if it's possible via a pc, quite an easy job if your hard disk isn't that funked up.

did you drop it at all? perhaps the read arm, and the write arm are out of sinc on the disk and need realinement again, might be worth a check if you dont mind getting stuck in.

I'm still waiting for a reply to my email about my potentional lethal power cable, it was made in 2002 and got the email, but no exact link to get a new one, it's been about 4 days since i've emailed them.

perhaps it could spontainiously combust and ruin my xbox...

watch this space, might have one to flog soon!
Wed 23/02/05 at 12:41
Regular
Couple of points:

1. I'm not on Live yet, but may be in the future.

2. I can't get to the dashboard, because the error message flashes up. So no chance of backing up my saves.
Wed 23/02/05 at 11:46
Cooky wrote:
>
> Supposedly there are people on X-Box Live who claim they can detect
> you not using a official HD and then bad you. But most of my mates
> don't have official HDs in theirs, and they haven't been banned.
>

It all depends. When you go Live for the first time, the unique ID no for your hard drive is sent for reference. Every time you log into Live, the details are checked with your existing ID; if they're different (eg. you swapped the HD for a new one, which is mostly like the point in your case), a future banning may occur.

However, modern modded chips have a feature that allows you to store the HD's ID into the EEPROM so you can "imprint" it back onto the new HD afterwards. Of course, if yours is 100% pure, this can't be done.

Having said that, I think the above problem doesn't occur when you reregister your Live details under the recover account section, so you can just do that and retain yuor GT. You can even edit it a bit (restricted to upper/lower case reversals).
Wed 23/02/05 at 11:45
Regular
"Touched!"
If you want to keep all of your saves then I would buy a new console personally, they are only £100 now. I know I'd rather get a new one than wait for MS to take ages to fix it and charge me at least £50, just get a cheap memory card to transfer your save games over. Hope this helps!
Wed 23/02/05 at 10:20
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I do believe it's relatively easy to replace the HD.

Supposedly there are people on X-Box Live who claim they can detect you not using a official HD and then bad you. But most of my mates don't have official HDs in theirs, and they haven't been banned.

I've still got issues with my DVD drive not reading disks. Not that I've bothered to rip the thing open and try to tinker with it till it fixes itself. Think you can get new dvd drives for £40, but don't have the spare cash at the mo.

:)
Wed 23/02/05 at 09:17
Regular
My Xbox has started playing up again. When you turn it on, the hard drive makes a horrible clicking noise for a while, then the LED flashes red, and and error code 07 comes up on the screen.

This happened a bit over Christmas, but then it just started working again. However, it's done it again and I want to get it sorted.

So:

How easy would it be to get hold of and install a new HDD? Would this stop me going on Live at some point in the future when I get BB?

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you get round it?

I don't really want to buy a new console, but if it's going to be the easiest, most reliable way to sort it out, then I will.

Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.