GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How traditional are you?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/11/06 at 11:16
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I'm just wandering how traditional you guys are, just out of interest. What with a lot of traditional dates around this time of year (Hallowe'en, Bonfire night, Christmas), I was just wandering how traditional you all are. Not just for those particular dates. In fact, I mean how traditional in general, including traditional dates.

For me, my family and myself are very traditional, mainly because my dad likes to folow things by the book and has a set routine for the year.

Birthdays: Open cards and prezzies first thing when you get back from college/work, unless you have time to open them first thing in the day and then try them out! Usually we don't get presents for each others' birthdays anymore though - just money. Much easier!

Pancake day: Never forgotten. I never let my parents forget pancake day because I love pancakes! We always make sure we have pancakes on that day, but actually we eat them all through the year, just because they're so nice!

Easter: My parents keep saying that I'm too old for Easter Eggs and that next year they won't be getting them for me anymore. I never let them win that argument though, because they're still buying them for my brother too, who is 27. So they're not going to stop buying me Easter eggs until I'm at least 27! Never miss it though.

May Day: We just treat it like a normal day, except that everyone's off work. My dad has never been one for spending time with his family or having fun.

April Fool's Day; Don't bother with it.

Hallowe'en: I never understood what the apostrophe was for, but I don't go trick or treating anymore. I used to, though reluctantly. Now, age 18, I don't bother. Instead, I just get annoyed at the trick-or-treaters who come round ours each year knocking on the door. I normally hide away and let my mum answer the door to them, but if that's not possible, I don't answer the door. Always carve a pumpkin though, every year! and toffee apples are foul. And so are pumpkins.

Bonfire night: We used to have our own little display in our back garden back when I lived in Oxford, but now our garden is far too small for that. Usually we just treat it like a normal day, but som years we'll go and see a firework display.

Advent: Always get an advent calendar, and always make sure there's chocolate in it! My brother says I'm too old for advent calendars: I don't care! I buy them for the chocolate. Plus, I think Advent (ie. the run-up to Christmas0 is far more fun than Christmas itself. You get all excited and hyped up about it before Christmas, which is what's so good about it!

Christmas: Not as good as Advent, but near the end of the day it can be quite fun, trying out all your new stuff. And we always have a massive turkey dinner. We have turkey throughout the year, but at Christmas we have a massive one with loads of extras. We stopped putting chocolates on the tree though, after the dog knocked it over one year trying to pull them off!

Boxing day: Go and visit my nan and give her our presents.

New Year's Eve: Normal day, still fiddling with our new stuff from Christmas.

New Year's Day: Ditto.

End of Christmas hols: Argh! Gotta finish my coursework! Nuff said!

And as for other traditions which aren't specific to a particular day:
- Very big traditional english breakfast, every Sunday morning.
- Fish and chips every Friday for dinner
- Chinese takeaway every Saturday evening.
- Always start the day with a cuppa tea, but not always with breakfast.
- always have a cuppa tea before going to bed.

So what about you?
Wed 29/11/06 at 12:55
Regular
> Birthdays
> Easter
> Bonfire night
> Christmas
> Boxing day
> New Year's Eve
> New Year's Day

These are the days that are celebrated in our family. Mainly just get together with family.
Wed 15/11/06 at 16:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Twain wrote:

> Birthdays:

Usually off work for both mine and Louises birthdays, if we're on holiday in this country we'll take prezzies with us if abroad we'll leave it until we get home, never open them before.

> Pancake day:

Always have pancakes for tea without fail, treacle for me :D

> Easter:

Still get Easter eggs from some family and Louise, I always get her one as well.

> May Day:

Just a day off work really.

> April Fool's Day; Don't bother with it.

Ditto.

> Hallowe'en:

Don't do anything apart from turn the lights off and put the TV on low to make people think we're out :P

> Bonfire night:

We have a bonfire BBQ if it's not raining and fireworks at home.

> Advent:

Nothing these days last had an advent calendar when I was about 14.

> Christmas:

Kind of miss the religious significance of it but put up loads of trimmings and a tree and have Christmas dinner.

> Boxing day: Go and visit my nan and give her our presents.

Just a day to go and see family that we only see on Boxing Day each year :P

> New Year's Eve:

Bit like a Saturday really just lazing around waiting to go out at night.

> New Year's Day:

Just another day off work.

> End of Christmas hols:

Look forward to my birthday :P

> And as for other traditions which aren't specific to a
> particular day:

> - Always start the day with a cuppa tea, but not always with
> breakfast.

I always have a cup of tea but rarely breakfast. One strange one I always do which was something my family always does is when you go to a funeral you have to leave the house by the front door but I've never been sure as to why?

Overall I'm still traditional in some ways as above but others have little significance for me.
Wed 15/11/06 at 10:24
"possibly impossible"
But where does tradition start? By not being 'traditional', ie: not following in your family's way of celebrating certain occassions, you may in fact be creating your own traditions.

Due to breaking apart my direct family and my birth family, we have also broken with their traditions and have created some of our own or borrowed from both our past traditions.

Our current 'traditions' for Christmas involve going to Spain over Christmas week and staying till after 6th Jan if we can. Included in this, we visit the 3 kings procession and spend time with all the family in Spain together. New years is the same.

All other holidays have really gone out the window, tradition-wise, and as the kids get older we will find new ways of celebrating things such as Easter etc, but for now we don't really do anything special. Birthdays are like any other day, this year I didn't even have any presents to open on the day.
Wed 15/11/06 at 07:54
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Birthdays: We celebrate Birthdays usually that of the kids in the family more then anything. The older everyone here seems to get the less they celebrate. Though with my Birthday its something i havent celebrated much since my 16th. Mainly due to the fact my Birthday is new years eve. New year seems to out do it :)

Pancake day: We have pancakes every pancake day, i love em! Also have them during the year too not just pancake day.

Easter: Never to old for easter eggs! Everyone a chocolate egg :)We also have my ex's mum does a really nice dinner on Easter too.

April Fool's Day; I hate it lol.

Hallowe'en: At times i cant stand it. But the kids love it, soon my kids will be joining in with it too no doubt!

Bonfire night: Love the public displays, we use to buy our own fireworks when my stepdad lived near, we use to do a bomfire and all too and do hot dogs and all other bommy kinda foods. But since he moved away and couldnt be arsed with us we just go to the normal displays instead of having our own.

Advent: The run up to christmas is great. I get the boys Advent calanders, but then so does everyone else too. I also get given one. Again your never to old for chocolate. My calander though is the run up to xmas and new year :P

Xmas Eve: Xmas eve is like a xmas day to me. I usually spend this time with whomever i do not spend xmas day with. Im swung between my parents and the Ex's parents and each year i spend it with one or the other. Same with xmas day!

Christmas: I love xmas, love it, love it, love it. Even more so since i have the boys. Xmas pressies for them and they love there xmas dinner and everything we do that day. (whoever we spend it with)

Boxing day: Usually next door, go there for a dinner and later a buffet as its the Exs mums Bday.

New Year's Eve: My Birthday, Dont really do much for it though.

New Year's Day: go see mum and next door split my day between them.

End of Christmas hols: Usually just recovering from the busy holidays, this year prob giving birth lol
Tue 14/11/06 at 14:37
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Not really. In fact, not at all. Traditional events always make me go: ogh, not this again! Is it really a year since ... etc, etc. I'm miserable like that :) I don't like circles of repetition. They make me feel blank.
Tue 14/11/06 at 14:14
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I guess i'm quite traditional apart from when it comes to stupid superstitions and stuff like that. My family aren't though and hardly bother with anything.
Tue 14/11/06 at 11:16
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I'm just wandering how traditional you guys are, just out of interest. What with a lot of traditional dates around this time of year (Hallowe'en, Bonfire night, Christmas), I was just wandering how traditional you all are. Not just for those particular dates. In fact, I mean how traditional in general, including traditional dates.

For me, my family and myself are very traditional, mainly because my dad likes to folow things by the book and has a set routine for the year.

Birthdays: Open cards and prezzies first thing when you get back from college/work, unless you have time to open them first thing in the day and then try them out! Usually we don't get presents for each others' birthdays anymore though - just money. Much easier!

Pancake day: Never forgotten. I never let my parents forget pancake day because I love pancakes! We always make sure we have pancakes on that day, but actually we eat them all through the year, just because they're so nice!

Easter: My parents keep saying that I'm too old for Easter Eggs and that next year they won't be getting them for me anymore. I never let them win that argument though, because they're still buying them for my brother too, who is 27. So they're not going to stop buying me Easter eggs until I'm at least 27! Never miss it though.

May Day: We just treat it like a normal day, except that everyone's off work. My dad has never been one for spending time with his family or having fun.

April Fool's Day; Don't bother with it.

Hallowe'en: I never understood what the apostrophe was for, but I don't go trick or treating anymore. I used to, though reluctantly. Now, age 18, I don't bother. Instead, I just get annoyed at the trick-or-treaters who come round ours each year knocking on the door. I normally hide away and let my mum answer the door to them, but if that's not possible, I don't answer the door. Always carve a pumpkin though, every year! and toffee apples are foul. And so are pumpkins.

Bonfire night: We used to have our own little display in our back garden back when I lived in Oxford, but now our garden is far too small for that. Usually we just treat it like a normal day, but som years we'll go and see a firework display.

Advent: Always get an advent calendar, and always make sure there's chocolate in it! My brother says I'm too old for advent calendars: I don't care! I buy them for the chocolate. Plus, I think Advent (ie. the run-up to Christmas0 is far more fun than Christmas itself. You get all excited and hyped up about it before Christmas, which is what's so good about it!

Christmas: Not as good as Advent, but near the end of the day it can be quite fun, trying out all your new stuff. And we always have a massive turkey dinner. We have turkey throughout the year, but at Christmas we have a massive one with loads of extras. We stopped putting chocolates on the tree though, after the dog knocked it over one year trying to pull them off!

Boxing day: Go and visit my nan and give her our presents.

New Year's Eve: Normal day, still fiddling with our new stuff from Christmas.

New Year's Day: Ditto.

End of Christmas hols: Argh! Gotta finish my coursework! Nuff said!

And as for other traditions which aren't specific to a particular day:
- Very big traditional english breakfast, every Sunday morning.
- Fish and chips every Friday for dinner
- Chinese takeaway every Saturday evening.
- Always start the day with a cuppa tea, but not always with breakfast.
- always have a cuppa tea before going to bed.

So what about you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.