GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet gaming. Not as good as it seems!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/06/00 at 16:53
Regular
The next big thing to arrive on our shores will be online gaming which will be made possible by all of the next generation consoles. Yes, everyone’s saying that it’ll be the best thing ever and that this time next year we’ll all be going online for multiplayer thrills.
But hang on just a minute, surely the best thing about multiplayer games is that you can always throw something and/or hurl abuse at the person who’s just beaten you. That look on your friend’s face when you beat him senseless at games like Goldenye is priceless. Don’t tell me that sending some text message to your nameless opponent in an online game is that satisfying.
The only thing internet gaming has got going for it at the moment is sheer numbers. You can get loads of people into one game but this also means that the novice player doesn’t stand a chance up against the huge amounts of players that participate. The only people who ever win on internet games are those people who spend their life perfecting their skills at one particular game and people who have a higher ping than you.
Also, for us Brits, the internet is very costly. It may be fine for some American to spend hours on one game but spending more than an hour online at a time equals a hefty phone bill.
I’m not saying that online gaming is that bad. If all your friends are unavailable it is fun to go online for an hour or two and blast away at someone with a ridiculous name. All I’m saying is that it will never replace those classic multiplayer games that everyone dusts off whenever their mates comes round.
Fri 16/06/00 at 18:17
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I agree it is cool to totally beat your best mates and then tourment them by rubbing in the fact that you beat them, but when the Nintendo dolphin arrives it will join forces with the GB Advance and you will be able to see who you are playing, like a PC camera, so when you defeat your oponant, whether they be German or Japanese, you can jump around in delight while they watch you with their heads hung low in shame!!
Fri 16/06/00 at 16:53
The next big thing to arrive on our shores will be online gaming which will be made possible by all of the next generation consoles. Yes, everyone’s saying that it’ll be the best thing ever and that this time next year we’ll all be going online for multiplayer thrills.
But hang on just a minute, surely the best thing about multiplayer games is that you can always throw something and/or hurl abuse at the person who’s just beaten you. That look on your friend’s face when you beat him senseless at games like Goldenye is priceless. Don’t tell me that sending some text message to your nameless opponent in an online game is that satisfying.
The only thing internet gaming has got going for it at the moment is sheer numbers. You can get loads of people into one game but this also means that the novice player doesn’t stand a chance up against the huge amounts of players that participate. The only people who ever win on internet games are those people who spend their life perfecting their skills at one particular game and people who have a higher ping than you.
Also, for us Brits, the internet is very costly. It may be fine for some American to spend hours on one game but spending more than an hour online at a time equals a hefty phone bill.
I’m not saying that online gaming is that bad. If all your friends are unavailable it is fun to go online for an hour or two and blast away at someone with a ridiculous name. All I’m saying is that it will never replace those classic multiplayer games that everyone dusts off whenever their mates comes round.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.