GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A few custom pc questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/06/04 at 15:40
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Firstly...

1/ What do you think of the Itenl made "D875PBZ" motherboard that has the 875P chipset? It's probably going to be the one I go for but just want any opinions you might have on it.

2/ Is 'ATX' the standard mobo size everyone has? Because that's the size of the above mobo.

3/ Is the Universal 3.0 AGP interface slower than a regular 8x AGP interface? Any disadvantages of 3.0 AGP?

4/ What's a "native SATA 150"? I kind of know what SATA stands for, but not sure what the number and 'native' part means.

And that's it. Thanks.
Tue 15/06/04 at 15:40
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Firstly...

1/ What do you think of the Itenl made "D875PBZ" motherboard that has the 875P chipset? It's probably going to be the one I go for but just want any opinions you might have on it.

2/ Is 'ATX' the standard mobo size everyone has? Because that's the size of the above mobo.

3/ Is the Universal 3.0 AGP interface slower than a regular 8x AGP interface? Any disadvantages of 3.0 AGP?

4/ What's a "native SATA 150"? I kind of know what SATA stands for, but not sure what the number and 'native' part means.

And that's it. Thanks.
Tue 15/06/04 at 15:46
"I love yo... lamp."
I don't have that board but it is a decent chipset. All the same, I'd go for an Abit IC7 if I was getting a P4.

ATX is indeed the standard size.

AGP 8x is also known as AGP 3.0.

SATA, Serial ATA, has a transfer speed of 150 MBps. PATA, Parallel ATA, or IDE etc, could manage up to 133 MBps with a fast drive. By native it means that supports SATA without needing an adaptor.
Tue 15/06/04 at 15:52
Regular
"NULL"
WickedWare wrote:
> 2/ Is 'ATX' the standard mobo size everyone has? Because that's the
> size of the above mobo.

Yup, ATX is basically the standard size. It's linked to the ATX PSU which has some extra functions, like not requiring a physical switch to turn on and off (like a light switch) but allows software shutdown, etc.

> 4/ What's a "native SATA 150"? I kind of know what SATA
> stands for, but not sure what the number and 'native' part means.

SATA = Serial ATA
The 150 part is the maximum transfer rate of the connection = 150MB/s
Native usually just means it's kinda standard and onboard.
Tue 15/06/04 at 15:57
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Thanks for that, Mr Biggles. The board is manufactured by Intel* I ment to have said, so it should be of good build quality. I also like it because it doesn't have any unnessersary features, like onboard sound/video and pointless stuff like that. It's kind of a no-thrills mobo that is plain and simple.
Tue 15/06/04 at 17:51
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Oh just one last thing. I've been looking around various online retailers for this board and have run into some confusion. The model number seems different from place to place. I've so far seen it listed as "D875PBZ", "BOXD875PBZLK" and "D875PBZLK". It will be exactly the same retail packaging, wont it?
Tue 15/06/04 at 18:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I was under the impression that no Intel board was worth the circuit board it was printed on.
Tue 15/06/04 at 18:43
Regular
"where's my tag?"
The Intel chipsets are good but the boards they make are not, is that what you're getting at? Why are they no good? The model I'm looking at looks quite good.
Tue 15/06/04 at 19:07
Regular
"Digging!"
WickedWare wrote:
> The Intel chipsets are good but the boards they make are not, is that
> what you're getting at?

I think thats what he means yeah...

> Why are they no good?

Overpriced and underfeatured. Get a DFI Lanparty. Classic. Or if you can't afford that get an Asus.

> 2/ Is 'ATX' the standard mobo size everyone has? Because that's the
> size of the above mobo.

Untill BTX is released later this year. Finally a form factor that has cooling zones and a well planned layout for cooling.
Tue 15/06/04 at 19:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Allred wrote:
> Untill BTX is released later this year. Finally a form factor that
> has cooling zones and a well planned layout for cooling.

If you did your homework, you'd know BTX will not become a standard for at least another 5 years, if it ever does at all. BTX should only be considered if you're going to be using a prescott chip, im which case you've got bigger things to worry about.
Tue 15/06/04 at 21:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pentium? Why? For a comany whos business model has just gone out of the window for future processor development and using AMD's 64bit blueprint to clone their own 64bit processors I'd personally stick with AMD!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.