GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVB-T More problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/06/04 at 20:44
Regular
Hi guys

Ive got another problem with my DVB-T card, It find's a load of freeview channels but sometimes it is juddery which i guess is due to the 35 - 44% signal but even worse is when i try to record the picture it start really juddering, anyone got any ideas on how to rectify this or am i going to have to wait until freeview is finally in my area?

Cheers
Colin
Tue 15/06/04 at 18:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Mm well what you're describing certainly doesn't sound like digital dropout.

The BBC website has excellent advice about these matters somewhere inside its help section. Might be bbc.co.uk/reception.
Tue 15/06/04 at 16:15
Regular
Cant really upgrade my aerial as it is the one we all use in my block of flats and am ground floor, i have tried using a set top aerial that sopports DVB but only got 30% max and hardly any channels, i may try the biscuit tin idea and am gonna buy myself another signal booster tonight, I don't think it is interferance as it does it more on some channels than others, i have updated drivers and software, I have it running in my new shuttle with a Radeon 9600XT card next to it, maybe it is overheatin?

Colin
Tue 15/06/04 at 12:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
We aren't listed as being in a freeview area, but our horizontally-polarised roof aerial correctly pointed at Emily Moor (our local mast) gives us perfect reception for Freeview. What kind of aerial are you using? Consider a better one installed by an electrician?

I should also point out that the interference you're experiencing isn't typical of digital transmission. Digital interference from low quality signal usually appears as a blocky picture (digital dropout) and bips in the audio. Your interference could be a promblem with the card itself. Are you generating lots of EMI? Near any powerlines? Could your card be generating EMI and interfering with your graphics card/monitor?
Tue 15/06/04 at 10:07
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Thats the one.

I can watch channels with a signal strength as low as 50-55% as long as the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) remains high.

It took me ages to get a clean signal, I had to try placing my indoor aerial at all sorts of odd angles and make plenty of directional changes.Finally (the fine tuning) I placed a metal biscuit tin behind the indoor aerial to "bounce the signals" back onto it, crude - yes but it works.

You could try using more than one signal booster but if you have a dirty signal it will also amplify the noise and give you a higher strength signal but a lower SNR.

Otherwise its down to the BBC... :-(
Tue 15/06/04 at 09:51
Regular
I think i have a maxview one that goes into the plug socket, it's white isnt it? also would it make any differance if i was to put a few signal boosters in line? i get all the channels they are just juddery, what sort of signal strength do you get?

Cheers
Colin
Tue 15/06/04 at 09:20
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
This may seem an obvious thing; but have you tried using a signal booster, I highly recommend the Maxview range.Steer clear of the One 4 All brand.

I have all the freeview channels when I use the booster, without it, it becomes juddery and makes that unbearable digital crackle!!
Mon 14/06/04 at 20:44
Regular
Hi guys

Ive got another problem with my DVB-T card, It find's a load of freeview channels but sometimes it is juddery which i guess is due to the 35 - 44% signal but even worse is when i try to record the picture it start really juddering, anyone got any ideas on how to rectify this or am i going to have to wait until freeview is finally in my area?

Cheers
Colin

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.