GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Different in similar ways"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/04/01 at 14:32
Regular
Does anyone think that the Dreamcast and the N64 have something in common in the way they fade out of existence? The N64 has been on it's last legs for a while now and, in Sega stopping production, the Dreamcast is seeing the beginning of the end.

I've faced a problem with getting rid of my Dreamcast - I want to but, at the same time, I don't. Every time I nearly put that advert in the local paper I read about another game coming out in a short while which is an absolute must have - the most recent being Phantasy Star Online (even though it was a bit of a disappointment). The next will probably be Sonic Adventure 2 (or maybe Spider-man), then perhaps Crazy Taxi 2 and so on.

It's the same with the N64, except that's further down the road they're both following. I got rid of mine quite a while ago when the only game I was looking forward to was Perfect Dark. As much as I loved Banjo-Kazooie, the sequel was a far too distant release to put off the sale. I'd also just re-bought a PlayStation and felt I'd get little use out of my N64 in the future (the PlayStation eventually went shortly after the Dreamcast came in).

Since then there's been another Zelda game - something which I had never expected. More recently Conker's Bad Fur Day has really got me interested and Banjo-Tooie doesn't seem so far away anymore. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a cheap second hand machine to experience all of these class titles that I've missed out on.

Both machines are having there lives extended by a trickle of must-have titles. As you start to tire of one then along comes another. The N64 doesn't have many on the horizon so the final nails in the coffin should be hammered in around about the time of the GameCube launch (coincidence?). The Dreamcast looks like it'll last a while longer than that but not too much.

I've always seemed to sell one system shortly after I get another but is that really a good idea? Hopefully I've learnt my lesson with the N64 and I now intend to keep my Dreamcast until I know for sure that there are no more 'must haves' going to be released for it - and I'm up and running with a quality replacement. With Sega making games for other machine in the future this may not be too difficult to judge.

What do you all think? Is it best to keep old systems indefinitely or how and when do you judge the best time for a change?
Sun 22/04/01 at 16:18
Regular
I never got hyped up about it, but it was the most powewrful machine around with the PSX, i played it and thought it was a good machine and got it for Christmas.
Sun 22/04/01 at 16:16
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ah, so Grix had a Megadrive previous to the N64? Grix what made you change your allegiance from Sega to Nintendo?

I did the same thing actually. I was convinced the megadrive was going to make a comeback, it was clearly better then the PSX or Saturn ;)

When I realised it wasn't, I started getting hyped up about the N64.
Sun 22/04/01 at 16:05
Regular
The N64's on it's last few games, but the quality of the machine is great, the SNES didn't get a ending as good as the N64's....still i held on to the SNES and didn't buy a PSX, i stuck with Nintendo and they have been creating some of the best machines ever.
Sun 22/04/01 at 16:03
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Live for the moment!
Sun 22/04/01 at 15:54
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
There's an auction on Yahoo for an N64 with all leads and stuff for £30 and it closes in 5 hours. Do I make a bid?

The seller has 71 good ratings and no bad ones! Ooooh, I'm soooo tempted.
Sun 22/04/01 at 15:22
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I miss my Megadrive... sniff...

I miss my Megadrive and SNES...but then I remember I have over 200 perfectly emulated games between them on my PC - and it's only a Pentium 233MHz!
Sun 22/04/01 at 15:14
Regular
I miss my Megadrive... sniff...
Sun 22/04/01 at 15:01
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
It's not the fact that the old consoles aren't worth anything to anyone but you, the fact is that as soon as you sell it the great memories you have with your favourite games on that console come back to haunt you, and you find yourself murmouring about toilet cleaner while rocking back and forward in the corner of the room.
Sun 22/04/01 at 15:00
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Pagey wrote:
> DO NOT sell your Dreamcast!

I'm not - as I said I've learnt my lesson.
Sun 22/04/01 at 14:59
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I am the Tarrant wrote:

Keep your consoles!
By the time you sell them they're not
> worth anything anyway!

I generally buy consoles after their first price drop (and now also off of the Internet). I haven't bought a new game from a high street shop for ages.

That way, when you do sell them, the loss is made much less by the amount of discount you got in the first place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.