GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thoughts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/06/04 at 15:08
Regular
Everyone describes the town I live in as a dump. Shops are regularly closing in the emptying high-street, the people are supposedly quite unpleasant (to put it nicely).
It's certainly no better than anywhere else I've been to.

I was walking around the other day. It didn't look so bad. The graffiti wasn't too bad, and it had a bit of character. The area was reasonably litter-free. Nowhere's perfect anyway..
The only time a stranger has ever 'hassled' me in the street was some random 12 year old girl, who asked me for a pound, I told her no, and went on my way. Nothing more to it.

A couple of days ago I was shooting a bit of pool at my local snooker club.

Some bloke came over to offer me a game. Seemed a bit of a mess, but no problem, I gave him a game. After a couple of frames he left, I figured he was certainly a decent enough bloke.

Then one of the club staff came over to me, asked where he'd gone, warned me to 'be careful' around him.
A little later some other guy came over, asked me if I knew him, and explained that the guy was the area's 'worst crack-head'.

By the sounds of things, when he asked me if I smoked, if I'd said yes he'd have offered to go pick up some fags for me and disappeared with my money. (I thought he was just going to offer me one).
But I checked my coat to make sure (I'd been keeping an eye on it anyway, as the area's got a bit of a reputation, so I was a bit cautious). My watch, wallet and phone were all still there.

Okay, he might have ripped me off for a few quid given the chance, but if he's the 'worst crack-head' the area has to offer it's really not that bad.

Sure, some people do worse things, violent crimes, stuff like that. But for the most part even drug-addicted theives are plesant enough to get along with.

So where is the world going wrong? Perhaps it's the intellectuals, people with political opinions, money, power.

Or maybe that's just the same thing - negative hype gets attention, but nothing's really as bad as eveyone would have you believe.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:08
Regular
Everyone describes the town I live in as a dump. Shops are regularly closing in the emptying high-street, the people are supposedly quite unpleasant (to put it nicely).
It's certainly no better than anywhere else I've been to.

I was walking around the other day. It didn't look so bad. The graffiti wasn't too bad, and it had a bit of character. The area was reasonably litter-free. Nowhere's perfect anyway..
The only time a stranger has ever 'hassled' me in the street was some random 12 year old girl, who asked me for a pound, I told her no, and went on my way. Nothing more to it.

A couple of days ago I was shooting a bit of pool at my local snooker club.

Some bloke came over to offer me a game. Seemed a bit of a mess, but no problem, I gave him a game. After a couple of frames he left, I figured he was certainly a decent enough bloke.

Then one of the club staff came over to me, asked where he'd gone, warned me to 'be careful' around him.
A little later some other guy came over, asked me if I knew him, and explained that the guy was the area's 'worst crack-head'.

By the sounds of things, when he asked me if I smoked, if I'd said yes he'd have offered to go pick up some fags for me and disappeared with my money. (I thought he was just going to offer me one).
But I checked my coat to make sure (I'd been keeping an eye on it anyway, as the area's got a bit of a reputation, so I was a bit cautious). My watch, wallet and phone were all still there.

Okay, he might have ripped me off for a few quid given the chance, but if he's the 'worst crack-head' the area has to offer it's really not that bad.

Sure, some people do worse things, violent crimes, stuff like that. But for the most part even drug-addicted theives are plesant enough to get along with.

So where is the world going wrong? Perhaps it's the intellectuals, people with political opinions, money, power.

Or maybe that's just the same thing - negative hype gets attention, but nothing's really as bad as eveyone would have you believe.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
My college is of very high standard, none of my friends are obese, on any hard drugs, violent or particularly unpleasant. Binge drinking isn't an issue. The town I live in is relatively prosperous. There is a small element of ethnic minority, which are accepted and part of the 'fabric' (as some councillor would say). There are perfectly pleasant weirdos. The countryside is nice.

You know the worst thing? Endless British tourists.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:15
Regular
"SOUP!"
Does it happen to be the older wannabe-snobs in the area that are deeming it bad and the people 'unpleasant'?

My street isn't exactly classy, I mean I live here so It can't be, but there are some older people who live here and think the area has some sort of status symbol due to their presence. For example, a bloke at the top of my street has two mercs and wears a suit to go and get the morning paper, my family don't own a car at all.

When I had a house party and a bunch of my mates were coming up my street he threatened to call the police. Due to the fact my mates are arsonist crack-heads? No, due to the fact the old or upper class people in society have some kind of inbuilt fear of people who are disimilar to them and overly-stereotype people based on their appearance.

Though sticking to the topic of crackheads I did get attacked by a crackhead when I was around 13/14 in the park with a mate. My Dad was going to go down to the park and beat him with a cricket bat, but didnt. The long term satisfaction was seeing him working at Burger King a few weeks ago.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Actually, the worst thing is seeing old people watch you as if you're about to smack them in the face and steal their pensions.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:20
Regular
Heh, the only people who regularly 'give me trouble' are old people actually.

I'm convinced they move to a walking-line on the pavement with the sole purpose of making me have to move to get past them. It's nothing major but it seems to happen all the fricking time :^|
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:23
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
> Does it happen to be the older wannabe-snobs in the area that are
> deeming it bad and the people 'unpleasant'?

No, not this time! It's everybody really, they all think of the area the same way. And in comparison to other places you can see their point.
It's just that objectively, it isn't particularly bad.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:29
Regular
"SOUP!"
It's fairly just to claim that the area I live in is degrading with a few recent muggings and a rape in the local park; so of course everyone over 30 blames the youth. "You've got no morals these days" they yell as the choke my planet with the fumes from their double-exhausted Jaguar.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:30
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Indeed. Isn't it just the case with any group on the planet? Blame someone else. It's easier.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:35
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Indeed. Isn't it just the case with any group on the planet? Blame
> someone else. It's easier.

Heh, old and young blaming each other may work for us now, but what happens when we're middle-aged ? :^D
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:50
Regular
"SOUP!"
You have a midlife crisis and everyone backs off.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.