GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help Me! (PC startup)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/06/04 at 14:24
Regular
Started up my PC (not the one I'm using now), XP told me it was checking the internal drive for errors.

It did so then started up, but a little later all the desktop icons and taskbar disappeared, leaving me with a totally blank desktop.

On restarting, it got a little way, then said:
'Booting from CD'

And then did nothing.

I restarted again, and did the press delete to enter setup thing.
I checked the booting options:
1. Floppy
2. CD
3. HD-001

Wasn't sure if that was 'right', so tried changing 1 and 3 around, but it didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas what's going on, or how to fix it?

Cheers
Sun 13/06/04 at 22:55
Regular
Is your hard drive actually being detected by the BIOS? it sounds to me that it is not, try making sure all the cables are in on the hard disk drive and the motherboard.

Colin
Sun 13/06/04 at 13:30
Regular
Thanks, I'll give both a try. I was a bit nervy about trial and error in setup as I don't really know my way around it that well, but it sounds like changing the boot order shouldn't be a problem.
Even if I do stop it booting at all I can always get back into setup again :^)
Sat 12/06/04 at 21:30
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
Thats usally HDD 1, but some difficult computers put it as hdd 0 (time comsuming to diskover :) )
Sat 12/06/04 at 21:06
"Majestic"
i mean the HDD that windows is on...
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:27
Regular
Definitely HDD 1, not HDD 0 ?

Thanks, I'll give that a try...
Sat 12/06/04 at 14:46
"Majestic"
Never had that before, but if you change the booting option 1 to HDD1 then follow with the rest ( CD, Floppy)

Then it should boot from the HDD as fast as lightening; with no errors.
Sat 12/06/04 at 14:24
Regular
Started up my PC (not the one I'm using now), XP told me it was checking the internal drive for errors.

It did so then started up, but a little later all the desktop icons and taskbar disappeared, leaving me with a totally blank desktop.

On restarting, it got a little way, then said:
'Booting from CD'

And then did nothing.

I restarted again, and did the press delete to enter setup thing.
I checked the booting options:
1. Floppy
2. CD
3. HD-001

Wasn't sure if that was 'right', so tried changing 1 and 3 around, but it didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas what's going on, or how to fix it?

Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.