GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Amateur magazine"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/02/05 at 21:20
Regular
I know that the prospect of people actually buying it are low...or even being able to create a magazine.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the 1st thing about starting a magazine and would be interested in starting one up.

Obviously it would start as a very amateur thing - probably just on the net but it could progress from there. Xbox mag...obviously

Anyone interested? Feedback please
Fri 04/03/05 at 20:23
Regular
Well thanks for the advice, everyone that gave it....

I might try and set up a site baring in mind your points - original and cheap

But I do need some help... (worker monkey people)
Tue 01/03/05 at 11:47
Regular
"Remember me?"
MJ wrote:
> Heh, going to have to agree with that, just a little
> "something" :p

Call it female intuition.
Tue 01/03/05 at 07:46
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
News doesn't have to be the only original thing on your site.

Why not approach it from another angle and hook people to the site with something else that's unique?

I don't know.... if you're artistic, maybe a monthly manga strip about an x-box owner? Ummm. Maybe a unique monthly feature with some personality and humour 'My Live exploits this month' - something like that?

I'd forget about the standard news / reviews / previews garbage. People just visit IGN and the such for that because they're professional writers with direct contacts. Don't bother with heavy facts - just do something different - if it's different AND interesting, people will visit in my opinion.
Mon 28/02/05 at 20:28
Regular
I did but I didn't care so :p
Mon 28/02/05 at 18:13
Regular
Heh, going to have to agree with that, just a little "something" :p
Mon 28/02/05 at 11:36
Regular
"Remember me?"
Jon $m!th wrote:
> To get things like News on games I will trawl the net and other
> magazines looking for info which I can then write in my own words.

Something tells me you just didn't get the jist of what MJ was saying.
Sun 27/02/05 at 19:34
Regular
To get things like News on games I will trawl the net and other magazines looking for info which I can then write in my own words. In terms of being able to play the games - I will try to get a large amount of people so that at least someone will have one of the games at a time. They review it in their own words and I check through it.
Sun 27/02/05 at 15:42
Regular
The main reason for this being a failure is your sources. Ask yourself where you will get the news in the first place. If your reply is simply I'll get it off of other sites and magazines you should realise this isn't going to work. A key factor in success is always going to be when you deliver information, and how this said information is delivered. Now that you know this, go create a successful magazine and prove me wrong.
Sat 26/02/05 at 23:11
Regular
Phun5t3r wrote:
> I would ditch the mag idea mate. There is absolutely no point in
> trying to compete with the likes of XBox Mag and the such. However
> one thing you could do is start yourself a reviews, hints,
> walkthroughs and cheats site. Once you get people out there
> interested and have the decent material (Which hasn't just been
> copied and pasted from other sites!) then you could always start a
> subscription thing to it or have a volunatry donation thing where
> people who like the site can donate money to help you run it.

Yeah I agree - the actual mag idea isn't too good but if there was enough people it would be possible to start an on-line mag...reviewing games in your own words.

I'd start off small and make a site on something like freewebs. The problem is getting enough support to start off with

Interested?
Sat 26/02/05 at 22:17
Regular
"Thriller Killer"
I would ditch the mag idea mate. There is absolutely no point in trying to compete with the likes of XBox Mag and the such. However one thing you could do is start yourself a reviews, hints, walkthroughs and cheats site. Once you get people out there interested and have the decent material (Which hasn't just been copied and pasted from other sites!) then you could always start a subscription thing to it or have a volunatry donation thing where people who like the site can donate money to help you run it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.