GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New shuttle setup problem with RAID"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/06/04 at 19:02
Regular
O.k. i have just got myself a Shuttle SN85G4 Athlon 64 setup, i have installed all the hardware (amd athlon64 3200+, 1gb PC3200 DDR, 2 x 120gb SATA drives, 8x DVDRW, DVB-T TV Card, Radeon 9600XT), On first boot i set up the 2 SATA drives to RAID 0 (Striping) then i boot from the windows xp pro disk and get put the SATA controller drivers in the Temporary FDD, The installation sees the 2 drives as one which is correct, now i format them and the files copy across fine, when the system restarts itself it goes through post then onto the SATA RAID bios then the screen just goes blank, no BSOD, nothing, the monitor is recieving signal as it is not going to power saving mode, after a while like this is restarts, when i boot from the cd again it comes up with the bit when it says "checking hardware configuration) then does the black screen thing again.

I am sure it has something to do with the RAID setup as when i disable the onboard RAID it works fine and also when i go into the RAID bios and delete RAID config then redo it, it all goes through the install from the cd but as soon as it restarts again it stops working, this is really weird, has anyone got a clue what i should do, this is what i have already done..

Changed video card, memory, Re-seated everything, made sure all cable are attached, set the bios to safe defaults, lowered the memory settings, made the cooling fan stay on all the time, formated using the full NTFS format and the quick on on the OS CD.

Help please :(
Colin
Thu 10/06/04 at 23:00
Regular
o.k. ive sorted it, Apparently i needed to update the bios (which i have done) and in the bios release details it says something along the lines of "fix's the problem with Raid 0\1 when a mouse is not installed into the PS2 port" what a strange problem, also was fun updating the bios without using a floppy disk drive on any of my systems :)

Thanks for the help!
Colin
Thu 10/06/04 at 20:55
Regular
"Digging!"
I know you have probably tried this but it doesn't say you have in your post, so try flashing the bios and updating the RAID driver.
Thu 10/06/04 at 19:02
Regular
O.k. i have just got myself a Shuttle SN85G4 Athlon 64 setup, i have installed all the hardware (amd athlon64 3200+, 1gb PC3200 DDR, 2 x 120gb SATA drives, 8x DVDRW, DVB-T TV Card, Radeon 9600XT), On first boot i set up the 2 SATA drives to RAID 0 (Striping) then i boot from the windows xp pro disk and get put the SATA controller drivers in the Temporary FDD, The installation sees the 2 drives as one which is correct, now i format them and the files copy across fine, when the system restarts itself it goes through post then onto the SATA RAID bios then the screen just goes blank, no BSOD, nothing, the monitor is recieving signal as it is not going to power saving mode, after a while like this is restarts, when i boot from the cd again it comes up with the bit when it says "checking hardware configuration) then does the black screen thing again.

I am sure it has something to do with the RAID setup as when i disable the onboard RAID it works fine and also when i go into the RAID bios and delete RAID config then redo it, it all goes through the install from the cd but as soon as it restarts again it stops working, this is really weird, has anyone got a clue what i should do, this is what i have already done..

Changed video card, memory, Re-seated everything, made sure all cable are attached, set the bios to safe defaults, lowered the memory settings, made the cooling fan stay on all the time, formated using the full NTFS format and the quick on on the OS CD.

Help please :(
Colin

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.