GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Writing"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/06/04 at 17:20
"NKDEF BFJvsdbnefv d"
I have noticed that many of you write stories in this forum nowadays. I would like to join you but I don't want you all to make fun of me if me stories are awful. Can anyone give me any advice on how to write a good story?

THANK YOU *for paradox*
Mon 07/06/04 at 21:48
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Paradox: wrote:
> "Short stories for dummies" ?

yeah! you need it.
Mon 07/06/04 at 21:45
Regular
"SOUP!"
"Short stories for dummies" ?
Mon 07/06/04 at 21:45
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Paradox: wrote:
> you're not meant to give a capital "H" to "hell",
> it's sacreligious.

dammit! I just made a mistake.
Mon 07/06/04 at 21:44
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Get a book that explained how to right a short story
Mon 07/06/04 at 21:38
Regular
"SOUP!"
you're not meant to give a capital "H" to "hell", it's sacreligious.
Mon 07/06/04 at 21:33
Regular
"not dead"
Write about whatever the Hell you like. If you try to write what you think people want to read, you won't be able to put yourself into it, and that's what you need to do.

One thing I always hear is "Show don't tell". Basically, write in a way so that the reader can visualise what is going on, without treating them like an idiot.

Which can you see better?

Janie was ugly.

Janie's face was a mess of puss and over-sized features.

Let the reader do a bit of work, make them think, and they'll appreciate it more at the end.
Mon 07/06/04 at 20:58
Regular
"SOUP!"
Stephen King recommends Eye of newt
Mon 07/06/04 at 20:58
Regular
On this forum? ha
Mon 07/06/04 at 20:54
Regular
"Not a Jew"
It's hard to follow a set formula to churn out a good story, if that was the case then everyone would be doing it. My advice is: plagiarism .
Ahaha, no..
Seriously now, you have to keep writing and writing. Be original. Reading books also helps - it allows you to develop different techniques, expand your vocabulary etc. Also, be descriptive as possible and usually stories with little dialogue are better than those with a lot. As my old eccentric yet exceptionally clever English teacher used to say, among other things, GDD's. - Good Descriptive Details.

What, were you expecting something profound?
Mon 07/06/04 at 20:53
Regular
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> Ditto, throw Para's rules out the window, just write how you want
> to.
>
> Print them off first though, don't just chuck your monitor out
> there....

If we're going to be precise, then make a paper aeroplane from it too.

http://www.geocities.com/peterkunzmann/ [space] paperaeroplaneworld.html for a rather serious site

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.