GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Video Games and Violence – any link?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/04/01 at 19:58
Regular
Don’t you just hate those people who are quick to blame video games when something bad happens? Columbine school shooting for example: the game “Doom” was blamed for causing this tragedy, but why? Did or can “Doom” cause someone to pull out a gun and shoot several fellow pupils in his school? Or is this just something the media can see as a reason that they can force the blame on to and indoctrinate parents. My mum (one of those people who don’t understand these violent computer games as they have never played one) once said after reading a popular newspaper that “I shouldn’t be spending so much time on the computer as it might make me violent”. I was playing Banjo Kazooie for goodness sake! What was I going to do run outside firing eggs out my butt at innocent civilians? Come on it’s crazy.

Lets just face it the people that blame acts of violence in real life on computer games are people that have never played computer games. They just hear guns or see blood and they automatically assume it is influencing us to want to carry out acts of violence.

This pupil in the Columbine school shooting was a minority of the world’s population. I doubt any of us on this discussion board have ever carried out a terrible act of violence. So how can computer games be to blame? Surely there has to be something else that causes you to do such a thing. I remember this boy liked the Nazi’s – surely that’s a stronger reason to carry out something like this. Liking one of the evilest group of people of this century suggests these people were already disturbed. If you look at this bit of evidence how can you blame video games?

Anyone care to disagree? I’d like to see other’s opinions.
Sat 21/04/01 at 21:36
Regular
"everyone says it"
HERE YOU GO:

Game ratings are talked about in every country in the world everyday, each game is checked and checked again and again in every way so the parents can be informed when the game is released of its content.

Some parents worry and dont want their child playing games which could give them a dangerous mind.

Other parents are not to careful and allowed their child to play any game at any time of the day.

The latter is very dangerous in my mind for the children, I remember Tenchu when it was out, within a few days pupils at my school were stealthing each other and slidding there hands across each others necks. Funny for some but it gives the kids ideas, I can see the parents worries when the child copies wrestling moves and could end up being hurt.

I personally enjoy wrestling and like the moves that are entertaining to watch, but however I have seen at school many people get cuts across the head because a chair went to far.

As more and more games are released and we mostly want more gore we might see that parents and the governments start to ban games a bit like films.

If anyone had watched the BITS program with the naughty games on it you would have seen thrill kill. I want that game but I can exactly see why they banned it, in Tenchu it is not that dangerous to slide your hand across someones throat, but with Thrill Kill I really dont wanna see people jumping on each others necks and twisting so they become broken or picking up objects and unleashing a vicous attack.

Games with this frame of mind are brilliant to play for the older gamers, but if this game was released then u can bet that millions of under 12's would have had a copy from the latter group of parents.

Conkers Bad Fur Day is yet another example but this time it is made solely to shut the press and public up.

People complained that Nintendo had soft games, People complained that Nintendo had kids games,
People complained where are Nintendos HardCore games.

Rares answer was to make a game that had a funny little cute squirrel in it which looks soooo harmless that it brings a tear to a mothers eye, and what have they done, make its face glare and turn it evil. It undoes its pants and lashes on enemies. It swears when the player cant make a jump, it continusly disses the player.

Why have RARE done this, because they no it will sell cause it aint NEVER been done before.

Each game should be looked at, Kingpin was extremely clever, it only was ever allowed on the market because the company made it possible to have the choice for what version you could install, I choose the explicit one and hey WHY NOT, I am 15 and I dont get ideas.

'what the **** is wrong with you'

mmm yeah well parents need this rating system because if they didn't have it then many more child killers would be on the rampage everyday.

You want Proof well here is Facts:

Japan never used to have a rating system and under 15's murder was so high it was introduced on Video Games. within the next 3 yeard it dropped by a massive 70%.

This was so interesting that Channel 4 made a big program about it and I recommend anyone to watch the repeat which their will be.

As video games get more aggressive I think we will see that many more games just including a gun in it will have a 15 rating placed on it.

Watch this space parents... and be careful... your child could be getting ideas as you read this topic.

Sat 21/04/01 at 21:18
Regular
I reckon that if games got too realistic then it would have some effect on violent people...

...however most people know the difference between games and reality...
Sat 21/04/01 at 21:03
Videogames were responsible for violence but are not any more.

Since Street Fighter has all but disappeared, violence due to gaming has plummeted.

In its day SF2 was responsible for more serious injuries and deaths than WW1 & WW2 put together.

Well nearly
Sat 21/04/01 at 20:20
I doubt it! (:)
Sat 21/04/01 at 20:18
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
AARRGH! Wrong again! there's something wrong with my keyboard!!
Sat 21/04/01 at 20:16
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Ignore that last post it was an acident!!

I pressed the wrong button on the keyboard.

It was originally entered into videogames and violence!!
Sat 21/04/01 at 20:11
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I have thought about shoving a couple of bullets up some idiots backside but I probably would'nt!!
Sat 21/04/01 at 20:00
I dont really care! :{
Sat 21/04/01 at 19:58
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Don’t you just hate those people who are quick to blame video games when something bad happens? Columbine school shooting for example: the game “Doom” was blamed for causing this tragedy, but why? Did or can “Doom” cause someone to pull out a gun and shoot several fellow pupils in his school? Or is this just something the media can see as a reason that they can force the blame on to and indoctrinate parents. My mum (one of those people who don’t understand these violent computer games as they have never played one) once said after reading a popular newspaper that “I shouldn’t be spending so much time on the computer as it might make me violent”. I was playing Banjo Kazooie for goodness sake! What was I going to do run outside firing eggs out my butt at innocent civilians? Come on it’s crazy.

Lets just face it the people that blame acts of violence in real life on computer games are people that have never played computer games. They just hear guns or see blood and they automatically assume it is influencing us to want to carry out acts of violence.

This pupil in the Columbine school shooting was a minority of the world’s population. I doubt any of us on this discussion board have ever carried out a terrible act of violence. So how can computer games be to blame? Surely there has to be something else that causes you to do such a thing. I remember this boy liked the Nazi’s – surely that’s a stronger reason to carry out something like this. Liking one of the evilest group of people of this century suggests these people were already disturbed. If you look at this bit of evidence how can you blame video games?

Anyone care to disagree? I’d like to see other’s opinions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.