GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lost Internet Ability on Client Laptop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/06/04 at 15:11
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Im running ZoneAlarm Pro on my main PC and standard on my laptop. It was working fine till I downloaded the latest version and installed it.

Before I just set Internet Protection to Highest, so it was in stealth mode and used the advanced options to set my PC as an ICS/Nat Gateway with the IP of my Wireless Adapter.

I tried to do the same in this latest version and the internet now doesn't work on the laptop. See all the advanced settings below:

http://www.djdd.co.uk/advanced.GIF

Those are the same settings I believe as they used to be, but the laptop just sits there saying "detecting proxy settings" in the bottom left, then gives an error page.

Is there something i've selected wrong or someit?

Ok, just repeating myself, but to some it up: I installed the latest version of Pro, didnt change anything and the internet on the wireless laptop no longer works. I've set options as they used to be, with internet on highest (altho ive tried medium and low as well, and trusted zone on off and medium), but the laptop gets no internet, only my main PC, as its the gateway.

Just to re-iterate, my network is an adhoc network, which you can find out about on google.com.

The internet works on the laptop IF the firewall on my PC is closed down completely, ie right click close, which shows this problem is this blasted FW!!!

ANY Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Operating System: Windows XP Pro
Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
Wed 09/06/04 at 15:12
Regular
"Nobody Home"
doc693 wrote:
>
> There are lots of problems with the new version, but if you just want
> ICS to work, look in Program Control/Programs and you will probably
> see that Generic Host Process has a large red cross next to it.
> Change that to a green tick, and ICS will work.

Thanks very much :) It works fine now.
Wed 09/06/04 at 09:51
Regular
"Nobody Home"
well, i green ticked em. Ill try my laptop later. I aint using its virus checker thingy. No need to.
Tue 08/06/04 at 18:36
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
I had this same problem with ICS. You need to reinstall ZoneAlarm 4.5, and then it works OK. I'm not sure what you mean about uninstall being complicated - its a standard Windows uninstall. The ZoneLabs site has the previous version available for download if you don't have it locally.

I believe they're working on a patch to fix the problems.

There are lots of problems with the new version, but if you just want ICS to work, look in Program Control/Programs and you will probably see that Generic Host Process has a large red cross next to it. Change that to a green tick, and ICS will work.

But it still causes problems with virus checkers and other things.
Tue 08/06/04 at 10:57
Regular
"Nobody Home"
ummm, im scared. no.
Tue 08/06/04 at 08:33
Regular
"Charming"
danieldone tell me about yourself
Tue 08/06/04 at 08:32
Regular
"Charming"
are you there?
Tue 08/06/04 at 08:30
Regular
"Nobody Home"
yeah, but going back a version involves so much effort :( Have you seen the correct uninstallation procedure! Its like an hours work.
Mon 07/06/04 at 14:34
Regular
"bing bang bong"
danieldone wrote:
> Im running ZoneAlarm Pro

I think we've found the problem. While I'm a fan of running Zonealarm on standalone PCs, its NAT support is, well, totally broken. I never got it to work on a machine acting as another machines gateway. If you did, then that's great, but now it doesn't work and I'll hazard a guess it's just Zonealarm having cancer. If you're sure the settings are correct, and I'm guessing you are since you got it to work before and seem to know what's going on, you could try contacting zonelabs, or seeing if there's a support forum there. In the meantime you could try going back to your old version.
Mon 07/06/04 at 08:20
Regular
"Nobody Home"
random msg.
Fri 04/06/04 at 21:38
Regular
"Nobody Home"
AMD_MAN wrote:

> see if there is a gateway setup,

Yeah, there is, and I set it to "yes this thingy connects through an ICS/NAT Gateway" and no change.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.