GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Impartial News"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/11/06 at 18:10
"possibly impossible"
How often do you take the stories in the newspapers as literal? If you’re clued in at all to the motives behind the newspaper’s stories, then probably not very often. How about the news on TV or on the internet?

Many news reports have sources who have their own agenda, it’s probably true to say that you can’t report on something without having an agenda on some level and no one is totally impartial. But do we consider this when we read or watch or listen to the news each day? So much effort can go in to making a news programme or a newspaper and the results can have a far reaching effect, so imagine the power that can be wielded when in charge of such an operation.

And yet, thousands of people each day take the news they read seriously, yes, even in The Sun and the Daily Mail. In fact, the latter is the culprit for many very biased news reports which have been important in instigating various hate campaigns while bending the truth to a dangerous level. But people still listen, read and act as if its gospel.

Reuters news is supposed to be 100% impartial, and I have no physical reason or evidence to the contrary to doubt this claim, but you still wonder whether individual reporters don’t sometimes think about the implications of changing one little part of their report to let readers or viewers view facts in a slightly different light. Certainly, for any televised news programme emotion is very important and to produce award-worthy news requires some sort of overplaying on this front, especially in light of great tragedies such as death in Iraq or an important person dying (you only need to look at the death of Diana for this). But how far can you go without distorting the facts in somebody’s favour?

I believe newspapers are the worst culprit, especially when It comes to their political views. They need to sell papers, and to do this they take a stand on a certain political line to get loyalty amongst their readers. This leads to reports of certain Mps being ‘caught out’, sometimes in a situation set up by the newspapers themselves. TV news is supposed to be impartial, at least in this country, but the BBC and ITV do have agendas, not least in gaining viewers and awards for presenting. On the other side of the Atlantic, some news channels such as CNN are laughably pro American to the point of complete bias.

So the question is, should they be regulated? And if they aren’t, do you realise that what you’re reading and seeing today may well be driven by an agenda that you are unaware of? How does that make you feel?
Mon 13/11/06 at 18:10
"possibly impossible"
How often do you take the stories in the newspapers as literal? If you’re clued in at all to the motives behind the newspaper’s stories, then probably not very often. How about the news on TV or on the internet?

Many news reports have sources who have their own agenda, it’s probably true to say that you can’t report on something without having an agenda on some level and no one is totally impartial. But do we consider this when we read or watch or listen to the news each day? So much effort can go in to making a news programme or a newspaper and the results can have a far reaching effect, so imagine the power that can be wielded when in charge of such an operation.

And yet, thousands of people each day take the news they read seriously, yes, even in The Sun and the Daily Mail. In fact, the latter is the culprit for many very biased news reports which have been important in instigating various hate campaigns while bending the truth to a dangerous level. But people still listen, read and act as if its gospel.

Reuters news is supposed to be 100% impartial, and I have no physical reason or evidence to the contrary to doubt this claim, but you still wonder whether individual reporters don’t sometimes think about the implications of changing one little part of their report to let readers or viewers view facts in a slightly different light. Certainly, for any televised news programme emotion is very important and to produce award-worthy news requires some sort of overplaying on this front, especially in light of great tragedies such as death in Iraq or an important person dying (you only need to look at the death of Diana for this). But how far can you go without distorting the facts in somebody’s favour?

I believe newspapers are the worst culprit, especially when It comes to their political views. They need to sell papers, and to do this they take a stand on a certain political line to get loyalty amongst their readers. This leads to reports of certain Mps being ‘caught out’, sometimes in a situation set up by the newspapers themselves. TV news is supposed to be impartial, at least in this country, but the BBC and ITV do have agendas, not least in gaining viewers and awards for presenting. On the other side of the Atlantic, some news channels such as CNN are laughably pro American to the point of complete bias.

So the question is, should they be regulated? And if they aren’t, do you realise that what you’re reading and seeing today may well be driven by an agenda that you are unaware of? How does that make you feel?
Mon 13/11/06 at 18:16
Regular
I take anything I read in the papers with a pinch of salt, if it's a tabloid I'd tend not to believe any of it, but then I don't read them ... I'm more susceptible to believing what I see on the tv news ... or on the internet (BBC) ... maybe that trust is misplaced ... but BBC news for example seems reasonably impartial. Reasonably ... I mean, they've been known to upset the government with comments etc.

All news reporters should be like Paxman, grilling the politicians with the important questions ... IMO
Mon 13/11/06 at 22:38
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Borat wrote:
> All news reporters should be like Paxman, grilling the
> politicians with the important questions ... IMO

Such questions as *Are you proud of having got rid of one of the few black women in Parliament?* to Galloway after his election win. Now i'm by no means a fan of Galloway but that was an extremely ludicrous question.

I get my news from Reuters, probably does have some bias as it's only natural the reporters will have their own slant but it seems to be alot less biased than other news sources so i stick with that.
Mon 13/11/06 at 23:37
"possibly impossible"
Kawada wrote:
> I get my news from Reuters, probably does have some bias as it's
> only natural the reporters will have their own slant but it seems
> to be alot less biased than other news sources so i stick with
> that.

Reuters has survived on the merit of having impartial news, I'm just implying that some of the reporters may have their own angle (albiet subconciously).
Tue 14/11/06 at 00:13
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I know, i was agreeing with you :-)
Fri 17/11/06 at 10:19
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I treat all news stories with a pinch of salt unless there's hard physical evidence / proof to back up the claims.

For example if the news says that a politician is playing away with his mistress I won't believe it until he he confesses or is caught out by an undercover sting for example being caught on camera.

News agencies are just businesses trying to get one over on the competition and if that means lying or misleading people to do so then they will.
Fri 17/11/06 at 12:48
Regular
"Author of Pain"
Anyone who believes the BBC are impartial should take a closer look at their coverage of Middle Eastern affairs. Particularly with regards to Israel.

PALESTINIANS SLAUGHTERED BY ISRAEL!!!!
Israel provoked by unguided missile assaults from Gaza
Fri 17/11/06 at 13:36
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Indeed, one of the biggest biased news sources out there
Fri 17/11/06 at 16:38
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Couldn't agree more the BBC come across as an arrogant organisation who employ snooty newsreaders who, even though they don't say so in words, give across a clear message as to whether they agree or disagree with a news story - Natasha Kaplinski is one of the worst I just want to slap her right out the TV.

The BBC also like to put on sad / depressing / bad news at every opportunity, OK not all news is happy and full of joy but the BBC fill their bulletins with death, destruction and murder where as other news organisations have light hearted stories at least - ITV's "And Finally" is a good example.

What makes it worse is the BBC is the reason we have to pay £100+ each year for a TV license - give us the option not to pay our license fee at the expense of receiving BBC programming, I know I'd take up that option!
Sat 18/11/06 at 14:04
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I fancy Jane Hill. It has crossed my mind to commit an atrocity just so I can hear her say my name. Ha. Trickles of bias, prejudice, subjectivity, misreading of reality is something that is unavoidably natural. Add to that the way politicians use the media to stoke certain nuances of opinion ... life is all about subtle manipulation. It happens everywhere all the time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.