GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quick bit of news about socket 939..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/06/04 at 17:54
Regular
"Digging!"
Twas released yesterday (in the US at least).

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/index.html
Wed 02/06/04 at 17:54
Regular
"Digging!"
Twas released yesterday (in the US at least).

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/index.html
Wed 02/06/04 at 20:42
Regular
"relocated"
Yep, I saw that too. There's a bunch of benchmarks for the new chips on most of the hardware sites. [URL]http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/01/1214217&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=137&tid=142&tid=187[/URL] for links from Slashdot.

I'm going to upgrade in September-ish. I hope socket 939 chips are affordable by then - but I suspect they won't be.
Wed 02/06/04 at 22:54
Regular
"Digging!"
unknown kernel wrote:

> I'm going to upgrade in September-ish. I hope socket 939 chips are
> affordable by then - but I suspect they won't be.

I'm hoping to earn enough money over the summer to get a decent spec system with a socket 939 CPU, but I dout I'll end up earning anywhere near enough :P
Wed 02/06/04 at 22:55
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
unknown kernel wrote:
> I'm going to upgrade in September-ish. I hope socket 939 chips are
> affordable by then - but I suspect they won't be.

Good idea to wait until PCI express is also out, as that will mean a motherboard upgrade and video card upgrade in the future. PCI express is out pretty soonish so you might start seeing it out by the time you want to upgrade. If not then unless you really need to upgrade it might be wise to wait for PCI express and while you wait the 939 chips will become cheaper.
Wed 02/06/04 at 22:58
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think i'll wait until the PCI express boards myself, thankfully that i have a job now i can afford to go a little bit more upmarket, but on the flipside my job is gay.

Double edged sword.
Wed 02/06/04 at 23:51
Regular
"relocated"
adrian wrote:
> Good idea to wait until PCI express is also out, as that will mean a
> motherboard upgrade and video card upgrade in the future.

Yeah, I am tempted to wait for that to come along. The trouble is that I'm going back to uni in September and I'll be an impoverished student again - so any money that I've failed to invest in silicone will get wasted on studenty stuff like books.
Thu 03/06/04 at 12:16
Regular
"NULL"
unknown kernel wrote:
> Yeah, I am tempted to wait for that to come along. The trouble is
> that I'm going back to uni in September and I'll be an impoverished
> student again - so any money that I've failed to invest in silicone
> will get wasted on studenty stuff like books.

And alcohol. Don't forget that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.