GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your views on advertising pop-ups"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/06/04 at 13:47
Regular
Are they an effective form of advertising? Or are they a constant annoyance to you? Do you have a program that blocks pop-ups and if so, what is it?

Also what do you think of flash video adverts, usually showing tv commercials and movie trailers. Do you like them?
Wed 02/06/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Pop-ups are irksome, annoying and are generally a pain in the ass. They're also very ineffective.

I've only had spyware on my PC once during the last year, and it was caused by pop-ups running scripts.

I then changed to Firefox, and everything is great now.
Wed 02/06/04 at 18:20
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
Yeh pop-ups are just annoying and i rarely even look at them before closing them. But banners are fine if they're placed into the site properly e.g. see banner at top of page. Cause them i might look at it while reading the page and it has worked a few times. I quite like the movie banners that have the trailer embedded in them. That's clever.
Tue 01/06/04 at 18:18
Regular
"NULL"
At least someone knows what I mean then!
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:42
Regular
"Digging!"
Nimco wrote:
> I use Firefox as well, which, like other people have said, is very
> effective at blocking popups. The ones that do annoy me though are
> the ones that appear over the top of the web site you are trying to
> view - the flash ones. I don't like clicking on the "Click here
> to close" link, because as soon as you click on something, it
> can send a lot of information back to the advertiser - even fairly
> generic information like how long it took you to close the window.
>
> Banner ads don't bother me at all, and in fact theyre quite nice -
> they add extra feel to a web site. Can you imagine walking into Tesco
> and all the products being Tesco Value in those White/Blue boxes - it
> would be so dull! Banner ads (as long as they're not too 'in your
> face') are the Internet equivalent of the Kelloggs cornflakes in
> amongst the Tesco Value ones...if you get my drift.

I know what you mean. You can get Norton to block them and replace them with just a white image, but websites tend to look a little drab like that if they were designed to have banners.
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:37
Regular
"NULL"
I use Firefox as well, which, like other people have said, is very effective at blocking popups. The ones that do annoy me though are the ones that appear over the top of the web site you are trying to view - the flash ones. I don't like clicking on the "Click here to close" link, because as soon as you click on something, it can send a lot of information back to the advertiser - even fairly generic information like how long it took you to close the window.

Banner ads don't bother me at all, and in fact theyre quite nice - they add extra feel to a web site. Can you imagine walking into Tesco and all the products being Tesco Value in those White/Blue boxes - it would be so dull! Banner ads (as long as they're not too 'in your face') are the Internet equivalent of the Kelloggs cornflakes in amongst the Tesco Value ones...if you get my drift.
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:11
Regular
"Digging!"
Using Mozilla Firefox as my primary browser, I never even see them, just a little icon appears in the corner to inform you a popup has been blocked.
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:51
Regular
"you've got a beard"
they're irritating and ineffective.

use Mozilla or Mirefox and you won't even get them.
bliss. i never realised how frequent they were until i used a mats pc running IE
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:19
Regular
"Not a Jew"
They aren't effective at all.
They annoy me.
I'm not going to buy something of someone that annoys me.
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:30
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
if i see a advert start to appear on the taskbar i just close it before i see it,

why the hell though do the same pop-ups appear over and over?

do they have a tap on your pc or somthing, cause i get pop-ups when i visit ebay and here.

i swear those 2 don't advertise knickers...
which is what i have seen.
Tue 01/06/04 at 13:55
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
99% of pop-ups can be blocked now and IE will probably have a built in pop-up stopper instead of the Google one soon.

Mozilla blocks them automatically too.

Those Flash ads that just appear on the screen over the text do my head in though, especially when you can't find out how to close them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.