GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Great films I have not seen"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/05/04 at 16:15
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
As some of you may know, and many of you won't, I'm turning into a bit of a film buff, in so far as I love watching films, reading about films and talking about films. So much so, in fact, that the older I get and more movies I absorb, I'm seriously considering including something film-like into possible future careers. Herein lies the rub; I've only been properly into movies for about 4 years or so (wasted the rest of my youth playing videogames and jerking off, frankly) and though I've built up a pretty reasonable DVD collection and back catalogue of movies over the past few years (not to mention a level of trivia that would make the nerdiest film geek blush) I still haven't seen enough truly great classic movies to official call myself a 'buff'.

So here's the thing. I'm setting off to Uni in the autumn, which is round about the time I officially stop having money and being able to buy things. Not only does this suck for obvious reasons, but I'll also lose my broadband super-powers and won't be able to download movies like I can at the moment. Therefore, before I go I'm totally abusing my 1MB connection and am pilfering as much media as possible. I'm talking great, classic movies here, not Dude, Where's My Car or anything starring Freddie Prinze Jr, and I'm also not talking about things that are currently at, or have just been at the cinema - chances are I've seen it if it's half-decent. I want your suggestions for classic movies.

[URL]http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=snuggly[/URL]
This right here is a list of all the films I own on DVD. I have a select few burned to disc that I've 'obtained' thanks to Kazaa. Obviously I have also seen a large amount of films, which I subsequently do not own. This list is a small collection of films I have yet to see, plan to in the near future and really should do if I want to build up a proper knowledge of movies.

The Godfather I-III (I'm geniunely ashamed I have yet to see these)
Raising Arizona
Blood Simple
Trees Lounge
Schindler's List
Citizen Kane
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Dr Strangelove
Apocalypse Now (see first on list, used to own but lost it)
The Third Man
Das Boot (missed it on telly yesterday)
Chinatown
Raging Bull
Blade Runner (erk)
The Princess Bride (may have seen, not for about ten years though)
The Deer Hunter
The Conversation
Mystic River
Magnolia
Dog Day Afternoon
Miller's Crossing
21 Grams
The Untouchables
Heat
Once Upon A Time IN America
The Game (big Fincher fan)
Killing Zoe
Scarface
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
Get Carter (own on VHS, quality is unwatchable)
... and the list goes on.

So, if you'd be so kind to add any movies which you think I'd benefit from watching, I'll appreciate it greatly - even better, stick a link to a cheapo DVD of it. Alternatively (and this is pushing it, frankly) if anyone wants to be super-generous and do me a copy of any of the above on disc, I'd repay them with eternal man-love (and give them a credit in my first movie). Or just a lend - I've got more stamps than I know what to do with, and a mean army of padded envelopes.

I'm seriously giving this a go; apart from girls and music, film is practically all I think about. All help will be appreciated.
Sun 13/06/04 at 14:13
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Hero and harry 3
Sat 12/06/04 at 21:58
Regular
Rushmore's good, but it's something you'll either love or really hate.

On the subject of crap films though I really would avoid Killing Zoe. Wanted to see that film for years but when I eventually got round to watching it, it turned out to be a steaming pile.
Sat 12/06/04 at 19:16
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
cRaCkHeAd wrote:
> HERO - Jet Li (3 times world Wushu champion)

release in cinema in August.
Sat 12/06/04 at 19:15
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
HERO - Jet Li (3 times world Wushu champion)
Sat 12/06/04 at 19:08
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Rushmore is complete tripe Snuggly, you really would be wasting your time watching it, but I havent read the whole thread, so someone may have already said that.
Sat 12/06/04 at 19:06
Regular
"Not a Jew"
maddmun wrote:
> And reservoir dogs came out on Moday, I can watch it about a milion
> times and still not get bored of it.

The film suffers for all the hype surrounding it.
Sat 12/06/04 at 16:58
Regular
"[UA] HAHA poo pants"
I have seen neither The Godfather films or Scarface. So I ahev just ordered them both from play.com Should ahve cost £46 overall, but parents owed me £30 so cost £16 all together. Not bad :)

Edit, picked up Mystic River from Asda this afternoon.
Sat 12/06/04 at 12:26
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
City of God is an awesome example of filmmaking, it came completely out of left-field and if Tarantino had made it, people would be creaming their shorts.

Incidentally, I've been made aware of a site called www.lovefilm.com, an online DVD rental site (based in Harlow, funnily enough) that lets you, for £10 a month, rent a DVD, 'watch' it then send it back. You can keep it as long as you like, don't pay postage and can do it as many times as you like. I shall be doing this.
Sat 12/06/04 at 02:22
Regular
Quinty wrote:
> The City of God is essential viewing.
>
> Seriously, you wont have heard of it, but it's friggin fantastico

I've heard of it.
And if I've heard of it, Snuggly's heard of it.
About the guys in Rio or somehwere, and drugs and stuff.
never seen it, but have always meant to.
Sat 12/06/04 at 00:36
Regular
The City of God is essential viewing.

Seriously, you wont have heard of it, but it's friggin fantastico

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.