GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Compaq Workstation for Animation - Is it worth it?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/05/04 at 14:02
Regular
The company that supplies me with all my animation needs sell a workstation for animation programs (2D and 3D). Is it worth the money? I know of several animation studios around Europe that use this package.

Compaq EVO W4000 Workstation [URL]http://www.chromacolour.co.uk/images/workstation.jpg[/URL]
Including VAT £1,899.00

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
Windows XP Professional
256MB DDR RAM
40GB IDE Hard Disk
48 x CD Rom
Keyboard
Mouse
18" Monitor ViewSonic VE800

What do you think?
Mon 31/05/04 at 19:06
Regular
"bing bang bong"
What software does it come with? There's something your not telling us, as that PC is only worth about 50% the asking price.
Mon 31/05/04 at 16:47
Regular
Im really not a fan of compaq as i find they use low spec generic componants that do not perform very well, You could build a lot better one than that at a fraction of the cost and using better perfoming componants, It all depends on what sort of animation you are doing on it, for multimedia i find my P4 better and for gaming and the such my athlon 64+ is far better, but i would assume you would be looking more fro graphics, memory and hard disk drive space.

Colin
Mon 31/05/04 at 15:59
Regular
"you've got a beard"
is it worth it??
not in the least.
considering it's built for animation, 40gig is nothin...
hell i churned out 40gigs worth of rendered frames for a 2 and a half minute short, that's JUST frames, not including video or 3dsMAX files either...

seriously mate, build one instead.
there are cheaper options than the P4 as well where the difference is negligible.

also, i'd question a company built around art, selling technology from a site that looks THAT BAD!!!! :)
Mon 31/05/04 at 15:48
Regular
Just wondering what you mean by "the artist room here" as im very interested in art and all that sorta stuff. So, if youre in an occupation with some artistic kinda job or at uni or something, id like to chat to you as to what you do and stuff.

[email protected]

If you want.
Mon 31/05/04 at 15:00
Regular
I... comprendre... not!?
Mon 31/05/04 at 14:10
Regular
Teal'c, artist... room... ?
Mon 31/05/04 at 14:09
Regular
Having a brief gander at the artist room here, all the workstations have a familiar spec, the only exception being a larger HD. I'm not sure what specifically what you're going to do with it (more 2D or 3D work) but as long as it has a professional GFX (nVidia Quadro for example) it'll be fine.
Mon 31/05/04 at 14:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Woah, that seems rather expensive.
Mon 31/05/04 at 14:04
Regular
My PC is better than that, and certainly didnt cost almost 2 grand.

If its solely for animation, id think it would have more RAM aswell... for faster rendering.

Jinkies.
Mon 31/05/04 at 14:02
Regular
The company that supplies me with all my animation needs sell a workstation for animation programs (2D and 3D). Is it worth the money? I know of several animation studios around Europe that use this package.

Compaq EVO W4000 Workstation [URL]http://www.chromacolour.co.uk/images/workstation.jpg[/URL]
Including VAT £1,899.00

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
Windows XP Professional
256MB DDR RAM
40GB IDE Hard Disk
48 x CD Rom
Keyboard
Mouse
18" Monitor ViewSonic VE800

What do you think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.