GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Darkbasic and the Xbox"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/04/01 at 19:57
Regular
It would be awesome if we could all make games for Xbox..
I bet I have some ideas that Microsoft would like, but theres no way in hell I would even apply for a dev kit.. I dont trust them enough to even try, and I couldnt use it if I did, I dont think. Plus Ive sent ideas to big companies in the past and I get a letter saying "oh we dont have plans for that, and we never would make it" and then 2 weeks later its out.. never again.

I would think since its Microsoft they would be corny and only let the C++ programmers make their games.. I *hate* that fact, that C++ is the standard for making games. Cuz I think it sux (probably cuz I dont know it! ) and they should let other people, like us friendly+creative DB people, make their games too.. they are going to miss out on some great games like that I think. But its not like they care since theyre filthy rich anyways.

Thu 26/07/01 at 10:13
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I hate to be picky but C and C++ are considered high level. Assembler is low level. By the way, could you give me that list of books?
Tue 24/07/01 at 20:05
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
I emailed Rare asking them what they use and they said they used C more and Assembler mostly. I know Visual Basic and Dark Basic and am learning C++. They even gave a list of books on OpenGL graphics and 3D graphics to read. I would like to use DarkBasic in making a decent RPG. I think for a game designer it would be good as they can show what they want more easily without knowing C++ or C but as far as I know C++ and C are so much faster than DarkBasic and basically everything else as it is so low-level.
Sun 22/07/01 at 09:04
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Hey, hey, hey, another DB user over here! Although I expect I will be transferring all the stuff for my current game - Blue Earth, over to Blizt 3D when it arrives because its rendering capabilities are awesome.
Wed 18/07/01 at 19:59
C++ is used for almost all programming (except VB script kiddies who think they can program), because it is the best language to use powerfully.

Dark Basic is fine for a shareware game, but if you want any control, C++ is the way to go. Learn OpenGL, and 3D graphics are so easy to control, it's just like BASIC.

Nick. (An OpenGL/C++ programmer in case you hadn't guessed)
Sat 14/07/01 at 17:57
Hey, I'm a C++ user and I also have DIV games studio. It came b4 Darkbasic and its brilliant a platformers and retro's. Crap 3d though, stuff b4 doom. I'm looking foreward to Darkbasic but I fear that, like DIV, it will lack certain features.
Mon 28/05/01 at 11:30
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
cragnut wrote:
Plus Ive sent
> ideas to big companies in the past and I get a letter saying
> "oh we dont have plans for that, and we never would make
> it" and then 2 weeks later its out..

Games such as?
Mon 28/05/01 at 00:28
Hey there, nice to talk to a darkbasic user on this site,

I heard on the net that there was a convertor for dark basic to C++?

Maybe we should have a talk though as currently I am giving serious thought to setting up a games production company,

maybe we could discuss ideas or whatever?
Fri 20/04/01 at 19:57
It would be awesome if we could all make games for Xbox..
I bet I have some ideas that Microsoft would like, but theres no way in hell I would even apply for a dev kit.. I dont trust them enough to even try, and I couldnt use it if I did, I dont think. Plus Ive sent ideas to big companies in the past and I get a letter saying "oh we dont have plans for that, and we never would make it" and then 2 weeks later its out.. never again.

I would think since its Microsoft they would be corny and only let the C++ programmers make their games.. I *hate* that fact, that C++ is the standard for making games. Cuz I think it sux (probably cuz I dont know it! ) and they should let other people, like us friendly+creative DB people, make their games too.. they are going to miss out on some great games like that I think. But its not like they care since theyre filthy rich anyways.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.