GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short Story Competition 5"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/05/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Okay, here’s my competition.

I’ve decided your stories should be based around/feature this item: the Mask of Markopan. Now I don’t know what that conjures in your minds – perhaps something creepy or classical, something comical, gothic or bizarre (I like bizarre)… I don’t know, but that’s what I’ve come up with.

-------

The Rules.

One entry per person. I want to read the best that you can do. So take your time. Paradox, take note.

No word limit, but try to make it short-ish. You can name your story The Mask of Markopan if you wish. I don’t mind.

Put SSC5 in the title, and I’ll pick the top 3 – when? – on the 14th of June. That’s two weeks.

-------

I might adopt the Meka Dragon way of judging – i.e. cut and paste each entry and then read them all in one go when I’ve long forgotten who wrote what, but if that's not possible I'll comment when I see/read them.

So there you go. An invisible trophy brimming with invisible tenners will be awarded to the winner.

-----

Result

There were many entries - some good, others very good - and it was genuinely tricky for me to pick a top trio. Several stories were on the fringe of making it in – so merit to all who took the time to write.

But choose a Top 3 I must, and here is my final judgment, in reverse order:

Third
One Hell of a Battenberg (Meka Dragon): A humorous tale – entertaining and nicely constructed.

Second
Herbidie’s True Love (Grix Thraves): A wonderful fairytalesque yarn.

The Winner
Eyes That See (FinalFantasyFanatic): I really like FFF’s stuff. Reading his abstract weavings is like accessing the mildly unhinged machinations of a peculiar webspinner - you can quote that on the back cover of your forthcoming book ;-) - and his entry is a prime example of this poetic-prose goodness. Well done, squire. Keep it going.
Mon 14/06/04 at 23:26
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Did I bribe you?

I want a refund for my service in SSC4 (that is right, m-yes?), turns out I didn't even crack the top three barrier.

*shakes head*

Another fiver wasted on misplaced trust.
Mon 14/06/04 at 22:46
Regular
Woo

Wanted FFF to win, and I came second, which is pretty much the best result for me that there could be.

Did I bribe you? I can't remember
Mon 14/06/04 at 20:43
Regular
"d'oh!"
cool
Mon 14/06/04 at 20:27
Regular
"SOUP!"
Bah dont talk about print. My book just got turned down.
Mon 14/06/04 at 20:14
Regular
"not dead"
Well done FFF, and cheers BG for sticking me in the top 3.

In case anyone wants to know, I'm reworking 'Battenberg', but have taken out the mask. Maybe we'll see it in print somewhere someday...
Mon 14/06/04 at 20:06
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm never enterting again; not ever.
Mon 14/06/04 at 20:01
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
That is why I said I need to update it, foo'.

:-D
Mon 14/06/04 at 19:51
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Ashman wrote:
> Mav wrote:
> Site?
>
> www.planetnintendo.co.uk/ssc

Oh, my story isnt on the site :( :( *weeps*
Mon 14/06/04 at 18:20
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
ßìggíË Li††lÊ jn® wrote:
> so when is the next SSC?

When FFF decides.
Mon 14/06/04 at 18:15
"period drama"
Bosch!
Cheers the Glove + readers.

I'll think of something before the night's out. Possibly.
No pressure for a good title then ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.