GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Deus Ex"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/04/01 at 15:38
Regular
1000 years from now…
Civilisation is near collapse and the world economy is in chaos. Deadly viruses run rampant through the earth, and terrorism is everywhere. In the middle of all this, a force set on world domination emerges, and only you know about them.

You are JC Denton, an anti-terrorist agent working for UNATCO Special Forces. In Deus Ex, you must travel the world to counteract this deadly force, developing your skills and gaining allies as you go. You will need to use stealth, strategy or action where appropriate in each mission.

Deus Ex is a complicated game, which brings new and original insights into the world of gaming. The NSF are everywhere, and you must take them down, by travelling all over the world, the places spanning from New York to Hong Kong. This game runs mostly on it’s complex and enticing plot, while also adding superb graphics and gameplay, to make one of the best shoot ‘em ups ever.

There is so much in this game, that I don’t know where to start. I’ll go with gameplay.
There are many innovative ideas that have really made the gameplay what it is, including the way you can develop your own skills, and the use of augmentations.
Augmentations are special powers which you will gain and develop as the game goes on. Examples are amplified strength, super-bright vision and immunity against environmental hazards.
As well as augmentations, there are different kinds of skills you can develop. As you progress through the game, you will obtain skill points. Points will be awarded for completing missions, finding items and exploring different places. You can then use these points to develop skills such as Computers (hacking etc), Medicine (quick healing), Weapons (Heavy, low-tech, demolition, rifles etc), Environment (toxic, poison), Swimming (speed, breathing), Electronics (bypassing controls etc) and a few others.

As the missions progress, you will need to talk to many people. Firstly, you will need to chat with your friends at UNATCO HQ, to find out more about your missions, And during your missions you will need to talk to locals, or other UNATCO soldiers that are there. The locals will give you hints on where people/items are, and may also tell you codes for any keypads you need to bypass. Sometimes the locals will not help you unless you do something for them, so you will be occasionally given secondary missions.

Your health plays a huge part in Deus Ex. Instead of the normal bar of health you get in most shoot ‘em ups, Deus Ex contains a more detailed health system. When you select the ‘health’ in your inventory, it will show you a picture of your body. It then labels 6 parts of your body; the head, torso, arms and legs. Each of these parts have a bar of 100%, and will go down when you are shot in those specific places. Remember though, if your head or torso bar goes down to 0%, you will die. If your arms go down to 0%, you will not be able to use weapons. If your legs go down to 0%, then you won’t be able to run. These little features are what make Deus Ex one of the best games ever.

Your Inventory is where you will place all the items you have collected. These include weapons, food, medkits, augmentation canisters and other objects you will find along your way. You do not have enough room in your inventory to hold everything, so sometimes you will have to drop items to pick up others.

You can also record conversations, goals and make notes in Deus Ex, so to remember everything you find out. When you are sent an image or a photo, that will also be stored for you to look at anytime you want.

As always, you will need many different weapons on your way. Weapons you can use in Deus Ex include Pistols, Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles, Shotguns, Rocket Launchers, Flamethrowers, knives, different types of grenades, crowbars, batons and many more. You can also find programs that will increase things like range and aim.

There are lots of enemies you will have to defeat in Deus Ex. These include NSF Terrorists, Security Droids, Gangs and even drug dealers or murderers you meet on the streets. And, if you want a little fun, why not kill some of your allies?? I once tried to beat Anna Navare, a robotic UNATCO agent I was teaming with. She fought back, and I kept being killed by her! It can be very funny, especially if you shoot a UNATCO soldier in the foot, as he will say, “That’s against protocol Agent,” in a calm tone! Or even annoy your own boss by hacking into his computer and reading all his e-mails!

Gadgets you can use in Deus Ex are numerous. There are multitools which are used to bypass securtiy pads, lockpicks, which are to pick locks obviously or even a special nano keyring which you will find keys for as you go along.

Phew! There are even more gameplay elements to be explained, but as I don’t want to bore you, I will go onto graphics.
The graphics in Deus Ex are second to none. The backgrounds are very detailed, and so are the faces. Although the pixels seem to show up quite a lot, and sometimes is seems that there is only half a toilet, it doesn’t really make much differece. And anyway, if your computer is very powerful (unlike mine), these little hitches won’t show up nearly as much. The explosions and the guns are very nicely done, and there’s one very big surprise; there is no FMV whatsoever!! FMA is used when you are having a long chat with someone else, and tiny little bits like a helicopter taking off. It also shows that you don’t need FMV to make a good game.

One of the best parts of Deus Ex is the sound. The voice-overs are excellent, and are very clear. Also, the weapons sound very realistic, and the soundtrack is awesome! The music always fits the mood of the game, and can change straight away! You can also hear footsteps, creaky doors opening and the sounds of machines and computers buzzing away.

This game will last for absolutely AGES, as it has around 14 packed missions, with over 4 goals to complete in each one!! And you can also now download the Deus Ex multiplayer, and share the delights of this superb game across the Internet!

The only disadvantage is that you will need a very powerful computer to use Deus Ex to it’s fullest, but even if you have minimum specs, the game is as awesome as ever.

Overall, Deus Ex is THE best PC game ever. With tonnes of gameplay, excellent graphics, innovative features, amazing sound and superb longetivity, this game matches up to the likes of Metal Gear Solid, and gets 10 out of 10 from me. A fantastic game, which deserves attention from everybody.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 20/04/01 at 15:38
Regular
"I like cheese"
1000 years from now…
Civilisation is near collapse and the world economy is in chaos. Deadly viruses run rampant through the earth, and terrorism is everywhere. In the middle of all this, a force set on world domination emerges, and only you know about them.

You are JC Denton, an anti-terrorist agent working for UNATCO Special Forces. In Deus Ex, you must travel the world to counteract this deadly force, developing your skills and gaining allies as you go. You will need to use stealth, strategy or action where appropriate in each mission.

Deus Ex is a complicated game, which brings new and original insights into the world of gaming. The NSF are everywhere, and you must take them down, by travelling all over the world, the places spanning from New York to Hong Kong. This game runs mostly on it’s complex and enticing plot, while also adding superb graphics and gameplay, to make one of the best shoot ‘em ups ever.

There is so much in this game, that I don’t know where to start. I’ll go with gameplay.
There are many innovative ideas that have really made the gameplay what it is, including the way you can develop your own skills, and the use of augmentations.
Augmentations are special powers which you will gain and develop as the game goes on. Examples are amplified strength, super-bright vision and immunity against environmental hazards.
As well as augmentations, there are different kinds of skills you can develop. As you progress through the game, you will obtain skill points. Points will be awarded for completing missions, finding items and exploring different places. You can then use these points to develop skills such as Computers (hacking etc), Medicine (quick healing), Weapons (Heavy, low-tech, demolition, rifles etc), Environment (toxic, poison), Swimming (speed, breathing), Electronics (bypassing controls etc) and a few others.

As the missions progress, you will need to talk to many people. Firstly, you will need to chat with your friends at UNATCO HQ, to find out more about your missions, And during your missions you will need to talk to locals, or other UNATCO soldiers that are there. The locals will give you hints on where people/items are, and may also tell you codes for any keypads you need to bypass. Sometimes the locals will not help you unless you do something for them, so you will be occasionally given secondary missions.

Your health plays a huge part in Deus Ex. Instead of the normal bar of health you get in most shoot ‘em ups, Deus Ex contains a more detailed health system. When you select the ‘health’ in your inventory, it will show you a picture of your body. It then labels 6 parts of your body; the head, torso, arms and legs. Each of these parts have a bar of 100%, and will go down when you are shot in those specific places. Remember though, if your head or torso bar goes down to 0%, you will die. If your arms go down to 0%, you will not be able to use weapons. If your legs go down to 0%, then you won’t be able to run. These little features are what make Deus Ex one of the best games ever.

Your Inventory is where you will place all the items you have collected. These include weapons, food, medkits, augmentation canisters and other objects you will find along your way. You do not have enough room in your inventory to hold everything, so sometimes you will have to drop items to pick up others.

You can also record conversations, goals and make notes in Deus Ex, so to remember everything you find out. When you are sent an image or a photo, that will also be stored for you to look at anytime you want.

As always, you will need many different weapons on your way. Weapons you can use in Deus Ex include Pistols, Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles, Shotguns, Rocket Launchers, Flamethrowers, knives, different types of grenades, crowbars, batons and many more. You can also find programs that will increase things like range and aim.

There are lots of enemies you will have to defeat in Deus Ex. These include NSF Terrorists, Security Droids, Gangs and even drug dealers or murderers you meet on the streets. And, if you want a little fun, why not kill some of your allies?? I once tried to beat Anna Navare, a robotic UNATCO agent I was teaming with. She fought back, and I kept being killed by her! It can be very funny, especially if you shoot a UNATCO soldier in the foot, as he will say, “That’s against protocol Agent,” in a calm tone! Or even annoy your own boss by hacking into his computer and reading all his e-mails!

Gadgets you can use in Deus Ex are numerous. There are multitools which are used to bypass securtiy pads, lockpicks, which are to pick locks obviously or even a special nano keyring which you will find keys for as you go along.

Phew! There are even more gameplay elements to be explained, but as I don’t want to bore you, I will go onto graphics.
The graphics in Deus Ex are second to none. The backgrounds are very detailed, and so are the faces. Although the pixels seem to show up quite a lot, and sometimes is seems that there is only half a toilet, it doesn’t really make much differece. And anyway, if your computer is very powerful (unlike mine), these little hitches won’t show up nearly as much. The explosions and the guns are very nicely done, and there’s one very big surprise; there is no FMV whatsoever!! FMA is used when you are having a long chat with someone else, and tiny little bits like a helicopter taking off. It also shows that you don’t need FMV to make a good game.

One of the best parts of Deus Ex is the sound. The voice-overs are excellent, and are very clear. Also, the weapons sound very realistic, and the soundtrack is awesome! The music always fits the mood of the game, and can change straight away! You can also hear footsteps, creaky doors opening and the sounds of machines and computers buzzing away.

This game will last for absolutely AGES, as it has around 14 packed missions, with over 4 goals to complete in each one!! And you can also now download the Deus Ex multiplayer, and share the delights of this superb game across the Internet!

The only disadvantage is that you will need a very powerful computer to use Deus Ex to it’s fullest, but even if you have minimum specs, the game is as awesome as ever.

Overall, Deus Ex is THE best PC game ever. With tonnes of gameplay, excellent graphics, innovative features, amazing sound and superb longetivity, this game matches up to the likes of Metal Gear Solid, and gets 10 out of 10 from me. A fantastic game, which deserves attention from everybody.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 20/04/01 at 15:40
Regular
"I like cheese"
I know it should be in reviews, but I like getting feedback.
Fri 20/04/01 at 15:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Isn't it more like 'a few years from now'?
Fri 20/04/01 at 15:43
Regular
"I like cheese"
No, it's the third millennium. Says so on the box.

I take it that's all you read?? {:)
Fri 20/04/01 at 15:59
Regular
No, I did read the rest and it was pretty much spot on I thought, it's just that the game is set in the year 2052, so the '1000 years' bit threw me a little.

We are currently in the third millenium by the way.
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:02
Regular
"I like cheese"
Is it?? I never knew that.

And I thought that 3rd Millennium meant year 3000. Oh well.

Hopefully it won't lessen my chances of a gameaday win!!
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:04
Regular
As a candidate for Gameaday, your Deus Ex review should be up there. (Whether anyone actually 'sees' it or not is another matter).
Fri 20/04/01 at 16:07
Regular
"I like cheese"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> As a candidate for Gameaday, your Deus Ex review should be up there.
> (Whether anyone actually 'sees' it or not is another matter).

LOL!

Yeah, hopefully Ali will see it.
Fri 20/04/01 at 17:12
Regular
"Excommunicated"
good review - chance of winning gameaday yeah - I gave up last week

POWER OF THE SHEEP
Fri 20/04/01 at 18:36
Regular
"I like cheese"
SHEEPY wrote:
> good review - chance of winning gameaday yeah - I gave up last
> week

POWER OF THE SHEEP

Don't gibe up, my sheepy friend!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.