GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Couple of HTML questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/05/04 at 10:37
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi there,

I just have two questions. Firstly, the book I'm using to learn HTML isn't all that complete, and when I make pages I find that when I shrink the window the text and small pictures bunch together on different lines from their original places. So what I want to know is how do I stop this from happening? Is there a different tag or attribute that fixes items to the page and stops the above effect from happening?

Secondly, is it possible to overlap pictures with text? Like have a picture with the word 'Home' on top of it? The picture could be a coloured horizontal bar at the top of the page that I want to place text links across it.

That's all.
Fri 28/05/04 at 10:37
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi there,

I just have two questions. Firstly, the book I'm using to learn HTML isn't all that complete, and when I make pages I find that when I shrink the window the text and small pictures bunch together on different lines from their original places. So what I want to know is how do I stop this from happening? Is there a different tag or attribute that fixes items to the page and stops the above effect from happening?

Secondly, is it possible to overlap pictures with text? Like have a picture with the word 'Home' on top of it? The picture could be a coloured horizontal bar at the top of the page that I want to place text links across it.

That's all.
Fri 28/05/04 at 10:50
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
1. The best way of doing it is probably using tables with fixed width. I'm sure the book must have some info on that. So just shuv a fixed tag inside it, e.g.

However remember that people with different resolutions will view ur site so try and generalise it unless u want to create seperate versions for different sizes.

2. Probably the easiest way would be to open up the picture in Paint and simply type the words into the picture file. You could use Div tags. Sry but i can't remember much about them but i wouldn't recommend them as i think different browsers tend to deal with them slightly differently which means it might look different for some users.
Fri 28/05/04 at 11:15
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Thanks a lot dispute. The book does cover tables and the width attribute in the table tag worked. I'll wait and see if anyone knows if it's possible to overlap pictures with text. I don't want to turn the picture into the link if I can help it.
Fri 28/05/04 at 11:29
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
are you wanting to do a navigation bar? like the one on my really old crap site ([URL]http://www.cascadeye.co.uk/[/URL]). If so then you could split the bar up into different segments for each link, although then u'd have to make each picture a link. look at the code for hints (it was made in dreamweaver cause i'm seriously lazy).
Still trying to find something for Div tags but i'm not sure if u can actually position them anymore. maybe someone else knows? well i should prob be off to my higher physics exam so i'll be back later.
Fri 28/05/04 at 11:34
Regular
WickedWare wrote:
> I'll wait and see if anyone knows if it's possible to
> overlap pictures with text. I don't want to turn
> the picture into the link if I can help it.

If you do a table, you can have a

So you can put whatever you want over the image, although if the image isn't big enough it'll get tiled.
Fri 28/05/04 at 11:53
Regular
"Digging!"
WickedWare wrote:
> Thanks a lot dispute. The book does cover tables and the width
> attribute in the table tag worked. I'll wait and see if anyone knows
> if it's possible to overlap pictures with text. I don't want to turn
> the picture into the link if I can help it.

You can use tables as layers, but I can't rember how. You could also create a table the size of the image, make it the table background and put the text on top. Or you could use CSS.
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:04
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I'll now try what both Allred and Manic have suggested for overlapping. Sounds like it'll work. Thanks.
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:24
Regular
"NULL"
You can use CSS to stop the background repeating in a table. If you're serious about learning HTML, try http://www.w3schools.com. I preferred it to the books - its very easy to use, the examples are already there on the site, and the reference table is invaluable. Enjoy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.

Put whatever you want here