GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tempted..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/05/04 at 20:44
Regular
For an upgrade on my PC...

Currently have...

1GB DDR PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9800 XT
2600 XP + (clocked at 3200 speeds)
40GB HD with 512k cache

Looking for something to see me well into next year, most of all I don't want any dodgy frame glitches and what not with Half Life 2 and Doom 3. Will wait for PCI Express as far as my graphics card is concerned, everything else can go though. The RAM has taken a beating with heavy over clocks, as has the CPU. I know the cache on the Hard Drive needs seeing to, not bothered about the RPM as 7200 is ample.

This is mainly aimed at NB or someone else who really knows what they are talking about. How far off are the new socket CPU's and Mobo's from release? Worth an upgrade yet or would you hand back until October when things start to hot up with the X800?

Cheers!
Thu 27/05/04 at 20:44
Regular
For an upgrade on my PC...

Currently have...

1GB DDR PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9800 XT
2600 XP + (clocked at 3200 speeds)
40GB HD with 512k cache

Looking for something to see me well into next year, most of all I don't want any dodgy frame glitches and what not with Half Life 2 and Doom 3. Will wait for PCI Express as far as my graphics card is concerned, everything else can go though. The RAM has taken a beating with heavy over clocks, as has the CPU. I know the cache on the Hard Drive needs seeing to, not bothered about the RPM as 7200 is ample.

This is mainly aimed at NB or someone else who really knows what they are talking about. How far off are the new socket CPU's and Mobo's from release? Worth an upgrade yet or would you hand back until October when things start to hot up with the X800?

Cheers!
Thu 27/05/04 at 20:46
Regular
Must emphasise on how badly I need new RAM and a new Mobo, clocked too far and looking at the NF7 which NB recommended a while back. Cash flow ain't a problem so just chuck your ideas in, tar.
Thu 27/05/04 at 20:49
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
It hurts me to say this, but the Athlon 64 in all its iterations is hotting up on all fronts...

Ie I would give the market time to mature then plump for a 64 bit processor
Thu 27/05/04 at 20:52
Regular
Yeah am looking at one on Ebuyer...

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=61316[/URL]

Just wondering whether to hold back for the new socket CPU's though.
Thu 27/05/04 at 21:05
Regular
"Digging!"
I don't like saying this, but I would wait for socket 939 for the AMD 64 and wait for PCI Express. The only thing you might want ot go for now is a new HD. I would say RAIDed WD rapters but people tell me this is OTT...
Thu 27/05/04 at 21:24
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Yeah am looking at one on Ebuyer...
>
> [URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=61316[/URL]
>
> Just wondering whether to hold back for the new socket CPU's though.

Geez geezer - you're dead serious aren't you? :P

I would wait for the next generation of motherboards though, especially with the much hyped socket 939 and PCI express on the way...
Thu 27/05/04 at 22:52
Regular
Yeah, going for a top whack upgrade, hopefully I can replace stuff to last for a year before needing to be replaced.
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:29
Regular
"NULL"
The standard Athlon64 processors are really top-notch. If you only want it to last a year, unless you're doing *really* tough stuff, there's probably not a lot of point with the FX51/53 chips - a lot of extra cash. I really like my S-ATA HDD as well - an extra couple of quid on top of the IDE price and you get 50% more data-transfer rate. And you do notice that!

With RAM, I went for PC3500 although my mobo only supports PC3200 (it was only an extra £5 and they didn't have the PC3200 stuff I wanted in stock). When I compare it to various benchmarks of very similar systems to mine (e.g. same mobo/processor/hdd/os) but with PC3200 RAM, mine seems a lot faster. Not sure if it just stops the RAM being a bottleneck, but I get over 8.5GB/s transfer rate off my RAM.
Fri 28/05/04 at 16:08
Regular
"bing bang bong"
What's wrong with your existing kit? It will easily be another year before anything comes out to punish it.
Sat 29/05/04 at 20:48
Regular
"Touched!"
I'm almost certain on selling my Radeon 9800 pro for an X800 XT Platinum Edition, on the benches it looks kick ass and with my Athlon 64 3200/1gb ram my system would be excellenté.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.