GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"C Programming"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/05/04 at 11:58
Regular
"NULL"
I've been doing web programming and stuff for over 5 years but have never dared try application programming like C/C++/C# or VB. I know at Uni next year I can do a module in progamming (probably Fortran), but I'm interested in learning a powerful core language before then - something like C.

Can someone explain the differences between C/C++ please or point me in the direction of a good beginners web site. I like the sound of a C variant because you don't need any expensive software to progam in it, other than notepad and a compiler. What's a good compiler to use? I've downloaded lcc-win as I'm programming on and for Windows.

Cheers.
Thu 27/05/04 at 11:58
Regular
"NULL"
I've been doing web programming and stuff for over 5 years but have never dared try application programming like C/C++/C# or VB. I know at Uni next year I can do a module in progamming (probably Fortran), but I'm interested in learning a powerful core language before then - something like C.

Can someone explain the differences between C/C++ please or point me in the direction of a good beginners web site. I like the sound of a C variant because you don't need any expensive software to progam in it, other than notepad and a compiler. What's a good compiler to use? I've downloaded lcc-win as I'm programming on and for Windows.

Cheers.
Thu 27/05/04 at 13:26
Regular
C++ is basically C with classes; C is a subset of C++, so in theory any program made in C can be run with C++. C is based on structured programming concepts, while C++ is object orientated from the start. This means you can use features such as encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism - much easier to handle code than C, although a few oldies in the office still code in C in their spare time.

We use the freeware compiler, gcc
Thu 27/05/04 at 16:25
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Nimco wrote:
> I can do a module in progamming (probably Fortran)

Nimco wrote:
> (probably Fortran)

Nimco wrote:
> Fortran

Oh my god, why? Learning FORTRAN is beyond worthless, it bears no resemblance to modern languages. If you've been writing PHP or ASP for 5 years then learning FORTRAN can only teach you bad habits. If you're up for application programming, jump straight in with either Java or C++. Don't bother with C either, it's the past, although it's not a museum piece like FORTRAN.

EDIT: and I don't want to hear about FORTRAN.net either, smartarses!
Thu 27/05/04 at 20:57
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
frankly buy a book. go onto amazon and just look for one with consistantly good reviews. i don't think any of Sam's stuff is any good. and there are tons of free compilers on the net.
Thu 27/05/04 at 20:58
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
and Fortran is what my mum did at uni !!! If they try and teach u just kill them. or torture them first.
Fri 28/05/04 at 09:16
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I hate to fly in the face of public opinion but I really think anybody serious about programming should attempt to learn a language like Fortran.
Such languages are great for promoting understanding of the programming better and providing different perspectives on how to achieve things.

Modern languages are all about abstracting things into models that we understand better. Languages such as Fortran are mostly about maths, simple data types and working in ways the computer understands.
Also its often been considered a good introduction to other high level languages such as C.

Anyway, thats why its still taught in universities.

Also at last count Fortran was still the de facto standard for engineering applications as mathematical computation is where its strength lies.
Fri 28/05/04 at 10:55
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
it's probably true that u should start off in something somewhat simpler without all the polymorphism, etc. although i started off in basic (back when i was a really ickle one) C is probably good enough if u're really willing to put the effort in.

garin, i think u might have got miserableman annoyed.
*hides*
Fri 28/05/04 at 11:32
Regular
I started with Visual Basic.

Then moved onto C.

Still learning C now.
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:16
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
*disPute* wrote:
> garin, i think u might have got miserableman annoyed.
> *hides*

I'm sure he can cope with the traumatic experience of somebody having a different opinion to him. :)
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:16
Regular
"NULL"
I'm going to be doing a Physics degree, and the Fortran course is designed to allow us to produce programs for mathematical modelling... OK, this is going to sound really newbie-ish, but if I wrote a program in Fortran and compiled it, does it require any kinda of software running on my PC to run the program - like a program written in Java requires the JVM?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.